Should I season a new cast iron skillet? It came pre-seasoned but I don't trust american manufacturers

Should I season a new cast iron skillet? It came pre-seasoned but I don't trust american manufacturers.

Other urls found in this thread:

sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

NO

You season it regardless?

put a bunch of shit on it and cook it. who fucking cares at this point?

I care, the seasoning police.

If you're going to season it yourself, polish it smooth first. New cast iron usually still has the texture of the sand mold. Traditionally it was polished smooth, but that's more expensive so it's rare now.

sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

>Stronk mommy blogger comes up with new way to do something that has been done naturally for centuries.

The first clue that this woman has no idea what she's talking about should be her fear mongering over the 'carcinogenic' nitrates in bacon grease.

I had found the mother of all mom blogs when I was looking up egg salad recipes
7 paragraphs with the recipe at the bottom
1 egg
2 tsp mayo
season to taste

that isn't even a recipe

Not OP but this have bothered me with a new pan I got compared to a 30 year old one. How would I go about to polish it? With what tool and what chems? Would sandpaper ruin it?

It's already seasoned though.

Oh, look, another "should I season my cast iron" thread.

you should just throw it in the trash, those are a pain to clean.

If you'd actually read the article you would have seen she didn't come up with a new way to do something, she discovered how the world changed and made the old way obsolete.

Pig diets have changed over the past century making lard less effective at seasoning cast iron. She reasoned that flax oil would be a good substitute because it shares properties with that old style of lard. It's a different procedure but the mechanisms are exactly the same.

If you actually care about buying in the us only by a lodge skillet
If you're worried about it not being seasoned then season it why is this so hard holy cow dude if you have worries act on them what in the world man

I'm acting on them by seeking advice from people more experienced than myself

>Falling for the cast iron meme
Lmao @ ur life

This
They put Honduras dirt cookies to shame

I've seen people on youtube vids do it with a grinder but if you dont have power tools you can use sandpaper. I can't remember which grit they used but I do remember the guy said not to use anything to 'fine' because new seasoning will have trouble sticking to it. If you end up going to fine you can always rough it up with coarser sandpaper. My guess would be to go no higher than 120 - 180 grit

Use some fucking punctuation, 'tard.

you're not supposed to try eating the cast iron you retard

Dont bother. Just cook on it using extra oil/lard for the first month or so until it gets a decent one naturally. Cast Iron isnt science, if you worry too much you'll drive yourself insane.

Or just get a Le Creuset. So much easier to use. The only reason I havent given away my bare Cast Iron is due to sentimental reasons