Tfw you realise this board is 99% intellectual posturing and but a tiny fraction of the userbase actually feel an iota...

>tfw you realise this board is 99% intellectual posturing and but a tiny fraction of the userbase actually feel an iota of emotion from the literature they apparently really like

What went wrong?

This board is now about redpilling libcucks

That 1% makes it all worthwhile

>feeling emotions

probably a fucking woman or a normie hihi

> tfw you're part of the tiny fraction

It feels good to read a book that resonates with you personally and emotionally, especially when you don't expect it to. E.g. The Iliad.

I have crippling anhedonic depression and can't resonate with the emotions in the books I read
However I really like reading
Am I a pseud and will I never genuinely understand a book?

I read for aesthetics not emotion

Fair comment desu

Why do you care? If you felt an iota of emotion, make a thread about it. Don't make this useless thread.

I care because I'm playing devil's advocate and would like to see how many agree or disagree. I find it hard to feel emotion from books and regard it as a character flaw that I'm trying to combat. I appreciate that I could make a thread about a book or theme or character I found enjoyable but the past two times I have people have ignored the thread completely. You know as well as I do that people only respond to threads when you express them in accusative or argumentative ways.

I feel things when reading but I don't to talk about it.

emotions are an aesthetic, you goddamn pleb

>le disinterested contemplation meme

False-flagging Redditors get out.

Fair enough

Probably hired by Israel to subvert the white culture on here. Praise Kek

Proving my point.

Medicine is the only way to care for other people, intelligent people are typically aware of it, polyglots can be a good source of distracting information.
I am not arguing, anything.
Are you egoist are you not egoist?
Are you egoist? Do what you like, you matter not to anyone else, except another one egoist that benefits from you or all the non-egoists care about you like they care about all egoists and they tend to care more about non-egoists simply because they know they will take care of more people than you will.

This being said, understanding people with languages and helping them with science is all that matters to most really emotional people.

If you feel emotions or you don't, no one takes you into account more than anyone that does the same as you, unless you help specifically someone unable to get all this and force him/her to help you because of "love" based on gratitude. I am Andrea Fornaciari.

I will not double check my mistakes or put it in a style you might appreciate, get it or don't get it.

I love Claudia.

2 cents have been deposited into your account

>feeling emotion as absolute criterion of "proper" enjoyment of literature

spotted the plebe

to enjoy is to feel, no?

Is enjoyment not pious and good? Is it not better to be a pleb and live a life you enjoy because it is enjoyable rather than be patrician and live a life you don't enjoy because you have derived your enjoyment out from a competition of a perceived quality?

What went wrong was assuming this place was something other than a place to shitpost. I do like to imagine a lot of people here truly enjoy and even have a passion for literature, but opening up about what you love makes you too vulnerable here. So instead they just shoot the shit between reading sessions.

I unironically do not enjoy reading, I only read for class

So you've been browsing this board for what....30 minutes?

>intellectual posturing on an anonymous image board
why

Think of the kinds of people that frequent Veeky Forums on any board, and the kind that would not flee in terror and disgust quickly. Then imagine buying them a beer and asking them to rant about books. There's what went wrong.

I agree with this, and it makes me wonder if there is any affection for more well known novels here but people aren't willing to admit it. With that in mind, I'm genuinely curious what you guys think of the following writers. All are very well known, all best sellers and in my opinion two of them are actually brilliant.

Sebastian Faulks
Margaret Atwood
Ian McEwan
Salman Rushdie
Julian Barnes
Agatha Christie
Philip Meyer
Stephen King

Thoughts on any of them, I'm very curious

the same thing that went wrong with so many sites: everyone is terrified to express themselves in an earnest was for fear of being dog-piled by 10 layers of pseudo-faux-anti-irony.

More like 30 months.

Sad to say the least.

Out of all those authors, I've only read The Nutshell by McEwan. It was fairly entertaining. Felt like a character study of a precocious enfant terrible who ascertained complete conviction in his thoughts despite knowing little more than the contents of his mother's womb. I'd like to be snarky and relate it to this board given the manner of this thread but somebody will definitely shoot me down (did it anyway).

Projection: The Thread

Coming soon to a theatre near you.

Not at all, user. I felt empty when I was younger, but now feel just fine, am even grateful for the path that led me where i am today. Something mentally or 'spiritually' alchemical happens when (you) read a ton. Your vision shifts. Though the process can be painful, it's worth it.
t. old fag

anhedonia and being a pseud are absolutely unrelated user.

don't worry, be sincere, eventually your depression will weaken and you will be enjoying literature like never before.

Tale of Genji made me cry. It also taught me that literature is about eliciting emotion and sensitivity towards the human condition. I think the problem is that most people think of literature as a political tool rather than an art form.

That's what does or should distinguish (us) from /pol/- a concern with what's perennial (as opposed to today's political and\or other social fashions).

Predictable: The Comment

Available now in any active thread

when you try to be genuine about anything you get shot down

people hate me enough irl

I hope so
But I sometimes feel that it's only one of the many things I force myself to do to have something to keep going

I think the bigger problem is the rampant woman-hating and /pol/ posting
There's still some gold threads but half the time it's
>women are dirty plebs
>muh Peterson and Zizek
>easy on the carrots bugs
I come here to alienate myself from the world and talk about perverse books no one else likes not read the same tired memes every day.

Id rate it more like 90/10 on average. 80/20 on a good day and 99/1 on the worst days

Sadly Veeky Forums has become /pol/ with books.

Or without books, i.e. solid Veeky Forums books.
But it's funny. I've been here for too long a time perhaps but I almost always enjoy it. This past winter late Jan to early Mar Veeky Forums was even quite good. I find there's most always something worth my attention, and that the general paucity of it helps me get back quickly to what I like most anyway- reading, writing, and wandering around. No real complaint here, then.

Tits or GTFO

Most of those have been recent memes though, I generally just ignore it and shit up the place with my Pynchon threads. Most communities elsewhere are filled with even worse posturing or virtue signalling moralism.

It least (you) have a will, user, and from what appears a strong one. That, at least, is something positive, and places (you) in a very small and thoroughly admirable minority. I hope it all works out.

(You) should watch the new Grateful Dead documentary What a Long Strange Trip. It's about how things (like Veeky Forums) fall apart, and it's painful to watch Jerry's continued disillusionment and too sad end.
It's perhaps odd but other than an occasional lurk I never feel compelled to post on other boards. That the denizens of other boards feel compelled to post here (howsoever stupidly, or not) makes me feel that literature retains a prestige in the minds of many that their own disciplines lack, though this is thoroughly unacknowledged save by the fact that [they] do come here. In droves.

It used to be harder for me to read something when I fell for the idea that reading is escapism. Then it was as you said: I had to force myself to do it. Then I realized that reading is more. It builds up worlds and puts a new complexion on phenomenas no mundane experience can comprise. Hell, if it's written well it even surpasses the real thing for me.
Maybe it's some sort of substitute for the lack of primary feelings. Reading for me has been a ride where when I first brushed some of the heavier stuff it built up horrors. But after enduring the first wave of severe revelations about life you will come out a refined man while being enthroned on a castle withstanding the dullness of reality.

it's not our fault that women are simply biologically inferior

desu

>tfw op is a big ol' insecurity projector who pulls out rhetorical percentages

How did things manage to go so right?

Thank you, anons. It's nice to talk to people who understand

wut