What plans do you guys have for making a decent living while saving enough time to read and write on the side...

What plans do you guys have for making a decent living while saving enough time to read and write on the side? Part time jobs? Teaching? I've been having a difficult time choosing a major, and I'm running out of time, so I'm wondering what you plans you guys have (if any).

I'm guessing the consensus here is that you should major in something practical and then write on the side. I've been considering going to med school and then working in something like emergency medicine (a subspecialty with good hours for a medical field and one that seems fascinating), and writing when I have time, but feel free to crush my dreams if they seem naive. I'm not sure how much time good authors usually allocated in a day to put out a good amount of writing, so if someone had that info that would be great.

I moved an hour bus ride away from my work. Rent is 475 for everything for a room, I work downtown 3 days a week and make 1200 a month. I have plenty of time to do my own projects.

Read your S.I. / Letterists:

Never Work

Started chef school, but I might've fucked up. I get kinda tired already after classes, how the fuck am I gonna manage once training/work starts for real? Life just fucking sucks. At least I'll then have the money to drown myself in alcohol like a proper writer

This sounds fucking great.

What city? Decent job? Do you work from home other days?

Med school is retarded
Better get a trade, you will experience a non middle/high class life and so write about that
Boring rich fags and middle class schmucks are boring, nobody wants to read about spoiled bitchies and beta nu males

emergency med/trauma/crit care isn't about dealing with rich fags, though. you see some pretty traumatizing shit, and I would guess many of your patients are going to be the poor schmucks that you seem to romanticize so much

I work at a prestigious institute doing social research in a big city, i have 10minutes to work, there is plenty of time between my duties to read whatever i want. also i can leave my work earlier on a regular basis so i have enough time to regenerate and read in the afternoon.

read before work

I'd consider becoming a paramedic but I dislike the idea of working night shifts.

I am a chef, and I can tell you will never have any free time for the rest of your life.

I work in downtown Seattle and the job is overnight shift for grocery store. I make 16.64 an hour.
I take adderall and study and write. I went to school to become a programmer so I'll take that job once I'm ready to give up my free time.

do CS/web dev, you can be self employed and make bank. just freelance work on contract jobs

What with Wix running around? Best you can do with cs is get a startup or tech giant job

Or specialize into Deep Learning or Forex trading bots or something unique like video games. It's not like 2003 anymore

a decent job that i rarely see people talking about is medical laboratory technology
if you have a degree in anything (preferably biology, chemistry, or biochemistry) you can get an associate's degree in medical lab technology (might only take you a year or a year and a half if you already have a four year degree), work as a medical lab technician for two years (will prob start at $25,000 or so but you can make up to $40,000 as a mlt) and then you'll be able to take a test to be certified as medical laboratory scientist/technologist (average pay is like $60,000 a year)
the field is mostly women but dudes tend to do it at night
sometimes the hours are like 12 hours three days a week with four days off
not much patient interaction (rarely you will have to draw blood, maybe not at all)
none of your work comes home with you
in demand all throughout the country so it won't be too difficult for you to move around
there are other routes too, like getting a mls degree directly or online school
you just have to make sure you take enough biology and chemistry classes to get the certification

Librarian.

also with this you can avoid boring gay computer science engineering physics and mathematical type bullshit but still have a job that is a good fit for quiet people

I'm CS guy and it's not boring. You never stop learning something new and the possibilities are really endless. You can create a bot to play video games like Diablo3 for you. You can powerlevel people for money, I mean there are really tons of ideas.

HOWEVER, that's a really good job idea. I wish I had known about it before I went to college.

idk not into video games or games or anything like that so computer stuff makes me suicidal
i have a feel there are lots of people like me who are "thinky" but have zero interest in computer stuff but can get into microbiology

CS is really more like mathematics than video games.

yeah that too

math is fun if you have the right mindset :/

numbers aren't even real

define real

exists independently of our conceptions

rlly made me think

idk what i'm talkin about ok but i've tried to into math and it still sucks

I work in financial services, make almost $60k a year and work 40 hours a week, 4 days a week. 3 full days I have to myself. Really just have to find a routine that works. I write on my days off, usually 2 hours a day, then the days I work I spend 30 minutes to an hour of editing and making some notes.

did you get a finance degree?

Getting a programming job doesn't require any mathematical knowledge.

Numbers are certainly real, it's just the way that we connect to numbers which is a product of humanity.

in the same way words are real

Not only that, but numbers are a subset of words, i.e. words themselves whereas the reverse is not true- words are not wholly numbers. Don't feel it means much, but it's obviously true.

Good for you, dude. Nice to have a degree you are confident in. I'd do the same, but I majored in lit. I'm afraid if I don't get into a field now (just graduated), it will take a very long time to.

idk agree with twiggy, i'm into neuroscience, but by contrast learning code makes me want to die.

Going into merchant marine school next year, as an officer the pay is extremely good and you get a lot of alone time. Plus some companies will accept 6 months work, and 6 doing fuck all.

I see it as a sorta monastic life, pretty lit

>tfw code monkey
>not too challenging but also not too rewarding or well paid
How wonderful it would be to live off Patreon donations or book sales.

It's my pipe dream - at least it's more likely than winning the lottery

Med student here

Have you worked in a hospital? Everyone there from porters to nurses to physicians are vapid and devoid of personality. You'll become one of them, you won't be able to write shit

My gf is studying to be a nurse, should I be worried?

oh god yes. Your married life will be utter hell. She'll come home in the wee hours of the night due to her fucked up shifts, and she won't want to do anything (housework, parenting, sex) except sleep. She'll sleep during the day and work at night. And on her days off all she'll do is be a lazy shit sitting on the couch watching reality TV. It is the worst life. Pays well though

to be fair, most people in any work environment ever are vapid shits. name me a single profession where a majority of people you work with are fascinating individuals

engineers/CS surprisingly. Most of them are stereotypically nerdy, but they all have interesting hobbies and quirks, unlike hospital slaves.

Fuck, I really love her.

There are different kinds of nurses, just make sure she doesn't work in a highly stressful department like emerg. Palliative care and clinics offer decent work life balance, but pay is less obviously.

do you get to fuck her in her nurse outfit? that would be the only reason to stay with a nurse, imo

this is bullshit

She doesn't let me.

dump her ass

My parents are kind of enough to give me rent money and I tell them I'm in college but I haven't really gone to class

>let
Definitely

She will be devastated.

nibba don't take relationship advice from us figure that shit out yourself. fuck man

I want to become a security guard. I don't mind the low pay, polyester uniform, or total lack of prestige so long as I have minimal social interaction and get to read and write on the job

monitoring this thread

most of the canon is either by or about middle or upper class people

Making sick gainz trading shitcoins.

/x/ flashbacks, lel

what

In /x/ people go around posting conspiracy theories and some, pretending to be fbi or cia, write posts like this "monitoring this thread" and so on

Thats why most of the cannon is shit

WHO IS THIS FIRE OF MY LOINS?

I know, but I won't tell you because every fucking time I give you the answer and tell you how I found it out with minimal effort you will just go "oh there is the information lets not learn anything from this exchange" and keep on asking dumb questions

WHAT IS NAME OF THE GUY?

You know what's funny? I recognize this girl, I already knew her

This isn't even the first time I found out her name without any trouble whatsoever
you dip

OPEN BOB

>ywn be a NEET drifting through the streets of 50s/60s Paris with your Letterist/Situationist pals

Join the military desu. Plenty of free time to read/write and you get to travel all over the world.

FFFFFFUUUUU

Neither is language

kek

I don't get the situationist lifestyle. I follow their critique and then the conclusion is: "Don't work but mooch off of others who do work."

27-year-old lawyer here. My plan is to give up writing completely. I live in NY so there is absolutely no way to make this work. I cannot quit because rent would devour me. I cannot write because I don't have time or energy. It's incredibly depressing, and I have lost any and all interest in life. It's also too late for me. I used to be quite talented and dedicated to the craft. Now I'm a coward, a wageslave, just like everyone else. Just remember there is no worse feeling than what I am going through. If you ever feel there isn't a point, or you don't have a shot at "making it," remember that most people never try at all.

I can't come here anymore. I'm too old for this shit, and I am a failure. I hope one of you have the courage to pursue art and contribute something beautiful to the world.

Peace for good, and thanks for all the good talks and funny lit memes.

Aspiring to be a software developer

What's interesting is that my colleagues are pretty Veeky Forums, well-traveled and philosophical fellas.

See you tomorrow!

You're not even middle-aged yet, there's still time.

DONT

quit law, man. find a less time-consuming, cancerous profession. A law degree is very employable, in all sorts of areas. Hell, be a librarian, if you want to. You are still astoundingly young. Remember that literature is a craft that takes decades to develop. There are barely any so-called literary prodigies, and the ones that exist weren't even that good, like Rimbaud. Umberto Eco started writing when he was like 50, Milton only got good right before he died, Goethe only finished Faust right before he died, Borges only got good when he was old, when he was young he was a total pseud. Good literature requires a maturity of mind, as well as a working knowledge of language. You seem miserable in your profession, and certain that art was your calling. Don't be afraid to change your life, in fact, grab the courage you need to break out of your current path, because if you keep putting it off, giving up, you will live your whole life wasted. Stop telling yourself that it's too late, because it clearly isn't, unless you let these thoughts keep you down forever

also, you said you can't quit because of rent, correct? is there really no where else in the world that you could move? take initiative, mate

F

Nobody on here writes or reads more than summaries.

Same here. Work night shift at a grocery store. Make about the same wage. Come home in the morning, have the whole day to read and write, go to shops or restaurants while everyone else is at work. I live with my father though, and don't pay quite as much rent as you do. I also share the cost of groceries, but otherwise have no expenses, so all money can go to food and books. I am teaching myself Latin and Greek, studying the Bible, the works of the Saints, philosophy, Neo-platonism, etc. I have no girlfriend, no desire for one (I believe in chastity), no ambitions beyond my studies, no desire for fame or friends. I feel like I have found a secret place in the world, where no one knows my name, I have no accountability to anyone or anything; the currents of the world hold no sway over me. I've mostly stopped reading the news or following politics. I will respond to friends and family once in a while, but they are so wrapped up in their own lives they don't bother about me much. I live just outside the world, and can venture into it when I please, and leave it when I have what I needed. When I die, maybe I will leave something behind, a work or a collection, maybe not. .

how hard is it to freelance?

I work in a factory office, spending 10 hours a day inputting specifications into our computer. I spend probably 7 of those hours a day listening to lectures and audiobooks while working. Its boring, but I make money while doing something personally aggrandizing.

I live in rural Serbia. Two years ago I designed a webpage for some Americans from Connecticut and I've been living off of that ever since.

Slavland is cheaper than dirt and I brew my own alcohol.

pretty Veeky Forums

>be me
>get an English degree for fun
>become a baker
>work 32 hours a week for $2200 a month
>live in one of the cheapest cities in the USA, literally 1.8 miles from work
>work 5-11AM everyday
>spend the rest of my time drinking, reading and writing
It's a very comfy life.

>work 5-11AM everyday
Actually just Monday-Friday with an 8 hour shift on Fridays. Either way, it's chill as fuck.

how to into baking

proof that you are from Serbia

t.Serb

A public job

1. Have kitchen work experience.
2. Apply to work at a bakery.
3. Learn to bake.
4. Work 32 hours a week and spend the rest of your time drinking, reading, and writing.

10/10 body
6.5/10 face

he's right, you know

>hour bus ride
>1200 a month
nigger what are you doing

why do you like speaking like a black boy on the internet?

I'm studying to be a male nurse. Should my girlfriend be worried?
no bully pls

psychology because it's wicked easy, decent enough pay, and plenty of free time since I'm becoming a DR which gives me the right to have a private practice.

this aint /soc/ nigga

about to start a psychology degree, any advice in terms of specialization?

would u mind if I bend you over and fuck your cute little boipussy in your nurse outfit?