What do you eat while you’re on a long train journey, Veeky Forums?

What do you eat while you’re on a long train journey, Veeky Forums?

Amtrak hotdogs

I won’t arrive until well after dinner time, so this is some nice cold food to take onboard.

ass

Never travelled by train while in the US, how are Amtrak hot dogs? I love a good hot dog but too much exposure to delicious German sausages has given me quite demanding standards for them.

sleep

I’m a freight train conductor and we use the engine compartments to cook and reheat food. Tacos kolaches melted sandwiches baked beans all sorts of stuff.

I usually pack a homemade sub with gravlax, lettuce, and hovmestersovs(the dill sauce that usually goes with it).

How does that pay? Decent job overall?

>gravlax
i swear theres meant to be a d in there somewhere

That sounds pretty cool. I assume it’s all safe and hygienic to use that way?

100,000 a year if you don’t layoff a lot you can more or less pick when you want to work. I like it pretty much like living a country song.

Yeah it’s cool we wrap it in foil and containers or cooking kits/pots with lids for stew and soup n all

>i swear theres meant to be a d in there somewhere
I put the d in your mom last night.

A friend and I worked together putting the d at the front and end of your dad

They are horrifying microwaved abominations

beans/canned goods like a proper hobo should while riding on a freight train
can I have your unit key please

Amtrak is hell.
I once took the Amtrak from Indianapolis to NYC and I shit you not it took 23 hours, one way. 26 hours the way back. It would have taken around 11 or 12 hours to drive. The toilets broke partway through the ride as well. Just fly if you have a long distance to cover in the US, trains in Europe are miles better than the US.
I've never been on a train in Europe for longer than a few hours, but I'll normally get a beer when I'm on the Eurostar.

That’s what I feared

Are you eating all that cheese and bread in one go? Are you on a freight train because you couldn't fit on a plane?

For what it's worth, I've ridden the New York - Montreal Amtrak line that goes through the Adirondacks many times, and while it takes for fucking ever (like 12 hours and the border crossing is retarded) the scenery is beautiful and actually riding the train is kind of quaint and relaxing if you drink enough

>Euro thread
By Falica

The longest train journey I can take is about two hours. So I might have a snack, but I'd probably either be heading to a special restaurant or to home so why would I bother eating anything more?

Never traveled by train, but my go-to traveling foods are clif bars, almonds, fruit, and beef jerky/beef sticks.

I take a long intercity bus ride every couple of weeks and I just try to eat the most unoffensive things possible-- sandwich with coldcuts, sometimes just a container of nuts and a banana. I hate people who eat smelly food. One time a guy ate curry out of a ziploc with his hands, people are animals.

Im in Houston and the only train Ive ever ridden is at the zoo for little kids:(

Darjeeling Limited is my favorite movie and the whole idea of traveling on trains is highly romanticized for me....

Nah, I ate most of it, over the course of the five hour trip, in several sittings. Then I had the rest later that night after I arrived. I’m not fat but I agree it probably wasn’t really in line with my dieting efforts.

banpu

user i just want you to know i had literally that exact same meal over the course of a five hour train journey (edinburgh to london) about 9 years ago.

and by exact same i mean the same cheese with granary bread, although the bread was from a small polish bakery. and the orange

"graved" in my own language. And I guess it actually is because they used to bury them during fermentation?

Shit, mine was glasgow to london, we're practically the same person user