Tips for an easier keto experience? I know that there are a lot of normally unhealthy things that are good for keto...

Tips for an easier keto experience? I know that there are a lot of normally unhealthy things that are good for keto, but are there any tips for a fatty who can't cook? just ordered this cookbook.

Other urls found in this thread:

si.com/edge/2016/06/16/australian-institute-of-sport-louise-burke-nutrition-rio-olympics
google.com/search?q=black beans nutrition information
youtube.com/watch?v=MzHLAqyO7PQ&feature=youtu.be
suprafiles.net/vbq2pyiyx9gp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fun fact about keto:

don't do it

Meal prep will save you tons of time. Always have something that's keto friendly available so When the cravings hit, and they will, you have something to satisfy that. I always had some "sweet" fat bombs, cheese, and boiled eggs in the fridge.

Fpbp

>who can't cook

Fucking learn how! Keto's miserable enough as it is, don't make it worse by burning your bacon cheddar chicken and fucking up all your fake meringue bread.

Just kill yourself

Learn classical french and find alternatives for thickening. Instead of flour roux's use evaporation or xanthan gums.

For example today I had a nice french omelette with mushroom cream sauce and 5 strips of home cured bacon.

Your going to have to learn to cook to some degree if your doing keto. If you don't your going to be eating nothing but deli meat and cheese and that will get really old really fast. Focus on making stuff you like to eat and just tweak the recipe to make it work for keto. It's not as hard as you may think it is. Keto just has a bit of a learning curve. Stick with it and meal planning and cooking will become second nature to you.

I mean I'm not a "cooking" guy. I can use cooking tools to make a decent meal.

Low carb tortillas are your friend

>choose a protein (meat or fish)
>choose a cruciferous vegetable (cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts etc.)
>choose garlic (garlic)
>choose some kind of a seed or nut (but use in moderation)
>add salt, msg and any herbs, spices and seasonings that you think will work, and obviously fat if your protein is lean
>fry or roast that shit
>optional: put a fried/poached egg on it

Like 80% of my keto meals follow this rough template. It's surprisingly versatile. Recently I've had
>smoked salmon with roasted cauliflower and pine nuts
>stir-fried ground beef, cabbage and fermented chili-bean paste, topped with a fried egg and toasted sesame seeds
>fried chicken thigs with roasted brussels sprouts and almonds

This guy knows the deal

Take the extreme end of the spectrum as I did, read up on the guy in this thread

Best keto is plantless. Plants are for cucks.

You guys do keto cause you're fat or because you're athletes? I couldn't fucking keep weight on for the year i did it. It was nice having the endurance, but i was sad looking at the scale.

Everyone's so fucking fat now that they look at you like you're on deaths door if you're a normal weight.

>or because you're athletes
Athletes don't do keto user.

Thanks for the input dude, really helpful stuff.

Another alternative:

Single out grain and never eat it. Choose meat and make it 75 percent of the meal. Choose legume or root veggie and make it 15 percent. Choose herbs, fruits, tomatoes or other salad veggies and such and make them the last 5. Example

Chickpea pasta, make in boiling water, then have a little bit of tomato sauce and put in an assload of ground beef. Put this over the chickpea pasta (also bean pasta or lentil pasta, no grain ingredients).

Another one that reminds you of a grain: cauliflower ground up to look like rice (diy or buy the "cauliflower rice" in bags) with garlicky, cuminy black beans over it. Huge chicken pieces roasted with garlic and salt. "Cuban cuisine", Wala.

Make the effort to cut wheat, rice, corn, soy, oats, and millet out if your life, it's tough because they are in everything, but do that by being careful/ making your own and you will be golden.

You're insane if you think that. Its great for endurance and getting cut.

Is this conversation going to continue and force me to send you a bunch of links? or can i hope you'll look into your misconception?

>getting cut.
Athletes don't care about getting cut.

I've looked into my statement. The olympic dietitians don't agree with your assessment of ketogenic diets for athletes.

si.com/edge/2016/06/16/australian-institute-of-sport-louise-burke-nutrition-rio-olympics

How long does the transition take and does it hurt?

you sound fat

Just figure out a few standard meals and make those most of the time. I have about half a dozen that I go through regularly, and once in a while I either try something new or go out to dinner.

My appetite is so low thanks to keto that I only eat one meal a day, BTW.

You forgot the cheese sauce on the cauliflower, you monster.

I do it because I developed diabetes, was put on a shitload of medications and was told I would be insulin-dependent for the rest of my life. Blood glucose of 400+ at diagnosis.

I skipped half the medications, went on keto (despite the docs telling me that it would kill me with ketoacidosis), three months later didn't need any of the medications any more, and six months later my blood tests were completely normal without taking any more medications.

Which is a really fucking good thing, because ALL of the drugs were CYP450-metabolized, and I'm a CYP450 fast metabolizer. ALL of the drugs become useless within two months of starting, because my liver learns to churn out more enzymes to destroy the "poison".

I would be dead without keto. As it stands, I've lost enough weight and have reduced the stress on my endocrine system enough that I'm actually no longer classified as diabetic -- as long as I don't splurge on carbs every day, I'll stay that way. I had a normie pizza yesterday (a whole fucking 10" pizza all at one sitting) and my blood glucose never went above 160 -- a little high, but well within tolerances. At worst I would now be classified as "prediabetic". Can't do that every day, but once in a while when I'm traveling and can't deal with living on hardboiled eggs and a bag of nuts, it's ok.

>black beans
Beans aren't suitable for keto. A couple of them accidentally included won't kill you, but slathering beans all over your food is going to load you up with starches and sugars and drive you out of ketosis. Period.

google.com/search?q=black beans nutrition information

47 net grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams of beans (63 grams including the undigestible fiber, just to be clear, fiber doesn't matter in keto). So, an ounce and a half of beans (44 grams) will put you over the 20-grams-of-carbs-per-day limit all by itself.

I never even noticed it. Some people claim they feel like shit constantly. Some say it lasts a week or two. So, depends entirely on you.

>Some people claim they feel like shit constantly
>shit
Define "shit", please
Lethargic? Cranky? Depressed? Aches and pain? Mass murderous...?

Headaches, nausea, fatigue, mild irritability. This usually happens in the very beginning as the body transitions into ketosis but goes away quickly. It can be caused by electrolyte imbalances because your body is dumping fluid. Fatigue can be an issue for some people but usually goes away again once you become more fat adapted.

The best way to beat these symptoms is to take magnesium and potassium supplements and increase your salt In your diet. Also drink plenty of water

Wow, that's an excellent description, user, and great advice. Thank you so much.

It sounds like I can probably expect some muscle cramps as well. But I think Ik'll manage.
Thanx again.

Diet is all about routine and habit formation.

Get used to eating the same boring meal everyday.

i am in ketosis and i've been eatin 75 grams of carbs

oi

I am in ketosis and I eat five kilograms of carbs per day. Match me!

You don't have to eat the same boring meal all the time. I have a few that I make regularly, but that's because of convenience, not because it's required.

Get some weed and become a cooking guy. I drink beer during, but that's not keto so smoke a bowl and turn on some brainless show like friends. It's pretty relaxing.
As for everyone saying don't do keto, I just wouldn't do it long term. One year to lose a good chunk of weight isn't so bad.

keto is dum

youtube.com/watch?v=MzHLAqyO7PQ&feature=youtu.be

>uses freak occurrences that are few and far between to show why a diet is bad
This is a bad video

and turn on some brainless show like ricky and morty

ftfy

That show just gets annoying

Ignore the vegan shills, ketogenic diet is the most natural diet, babies are born in ketosis, and all mammals we know of are in ketosis. Weather you're doing it for fat loss or as a lifestyle choice, good for you OP.

I've been doing keto for 2 years and these are the foods I eat the most: fresh eggs, milk and butter (raw if I can get some), grass fed meats, wild salmon or wild tuna, kefir, raw cheese, and weekly I'll have some type of organ, i.e., liver, heart or brain. Regarding the meats, do try and get the best quality, preferably organic and pasture-raised. Organs themselves should definitely be organic; they're extremely nutritious and you'd be surprised how nourished you'll feel after eating them.

Not sure what your caloric intake is, but it really shouldn't be too hard for you to split it into just two meals with some snacks in between. Try to cook your eggs in butter, cook your meat in bacon fat/lard, and if you eat the occasional brocolli or avocado you can use some extra virgin olive oil on it. If you drink coffee in the morning, add some butter or coconut oil for the extra calories. I rarely feel hungry between meals since I started this diet.

I guess if you're on a budget, try to get most of your calories from eggs, good quality butter, and occasionally some nuts or some almond butter; but again, you don't have to eat steak everyday, ground beef, chicken legs and organs aren't too expensive.

Learn as many ways to make eggs as is possible. Eggs are pretty common in keto meals and you will learn to hate them if you don't get creative.

If you feel the need for a snack try to substitute in low calorie drinks like black coffee, water with some lemon juice or diet soda (dont consume more than 400ml of diet soda each day).

This is news to me so I looked it up but I'm getting conflicting information. Correct enough, though. Maybe just an oversight.

Also, are you doing Paleo?

>Organs themselves should definitely be organic
Sorry, but I chuckled.

Extreme long distance runners are breaking records right now on keto diet. It changes your whole metabolism.

Navy seals are doing it because of some wierd thing about nitrogen and scuba assassination missions. Less chance of siezures when diving or something.

No shit, if you adapt to keto and then carb load the day before a competition your body will be all kinds of fucked up. Train on keto, compete on keto

>Train on keto,
She covers why that isn't a good idea.
No (yous) for illiteracy

>No (yous) for illiteracy
You're a moron. This isn't a game.

For starters; all she said was that keto "reduces the muscle's capacity for high intensity exercise" but she didn't address why so there's no way tell if she's voicing an aopinion or evidence-based fact, or whether lactic acid plays any part in her """"analysis"""".

I'm not even the guy you're responding to but you can keep your (You)s to yourself if it helps you feel like you have any level of authority.

>"reduces the muscle's capacity for high intensity exercise
It would be first hand knowledge from experience as she's the fucking olympic nutrition director.

I know Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, LeBron James and Josh Barnett are on/were on ketogenic diets. Not sure if LeBron is still on it though

> I rarely feel hungry between meals since I started this diet.

This. On keto, I don't have any problem with eating only one real meal per day. I usually have a handful of pumpkin seeds or almonds in the evening as well, though.

When I've eaten carbs, either intentionally or by not paying attention (fucking pistachios), it's shocking how the "I'M FUCKING STARVING!!!" sensations come back. I had a can of fruit juice one afternoon and a couple of hours later I was fucking ravenous. Never again!

i've been breaking myself back into a keto diet.

I started it at 150 carbs a day.
within 2 days i was starting to feel keto kicking in. (i honestly need to setup a better routine)
within 10 days i had dialed it back abit to more around 100 carbs a day.

these 20 carbs a diet limits are a fucking joke.

As long as you don't break through more then 40 carbs in 1 meal (around a 4-5 hour period of time) and don't exceed over 150 carbs a day you will stay in ketosis.

Why is it whenever something becomes popular retards come rushing in preaching there ignorance as facts, is this the modern world we live in? Just fucking morons who think they know a god damn thing!?!?!

Yeah, like people who fall for meme diets

A meme diet thats worked for 30-40 years of scientific trial and error right...

Right, "worked"

>only vegans/ nutbar animal rights activists slam atkins/keto/low carb diets.

JUST EAT PLANTS N GRAINS N SHIT MAN, LIKE MOTHER NATURE WOAH.

Nice try but no. Just eat everything, if you're fat eat less.

>wikipedia.
>known to harbor huge festering swarms of thought police soyboy cucks.
>edits/delete things that don't fit there agenda.
>posting that on Veeky Forums perhaps THE most redpilled fucking place on the internet of all time.

You gotta be kidding me? Are you even 18?

Yes, user, the fact that some people have edited some articles to fit their agendas means everything in Wikipedia is wrong.
How about you just look at the sources? Or is that too much to ask from a meme-spewing retard such as yourself?

>y-your diet doesnt do anything it doesn't work! calories in calories out man!
>Nah fag low carb is the way 2 be.
>NUHUH WIKIPEDIA TOLD ME THERE THE SAME!

You can live your life how you want, but when you enter into a discussion with no knowledge on the subject you look like foolish

So you can't look at the sources, gotcha. No wonder you believe this meme diet too.

Honestly eat a balanced high protein/fat breakfast. That helped me the most on Keto. I am satisfied for hours if not the majority of the day and it just makes it easier for me.

For instance, I had 3 eggs scrambled with 1/4 cup full fat cottage cheese and 1 1/2 tsp butter mixed in, topped with a Tbs of shredded cheddar and some Valentina. I was out of cream so I had to use milk in my coffee this AM.

Anyway, this breakfast is under 400 calories, 29gm protein, 26gm fat, and 6 carbs. I'll be full till dinner which will be a salmon, spinach, and avocado salad with olive oil and balsamic and some macadamia nuts.

>As long as you don't break through more then 40 carbs in 1 meal (around a 4-5 hour period of time) and don't exceed over 150 carbs a day you will stay in ketosis.
Bullshit. It's almost as if you were one of those vegan scumbags shilling hard to sabotage people. Hmmmmmmm.

20g/day is pretty tolerable, some people can handle up to 50g/day if it's spaced out. Nobody stays in ketosis with 150g/day of carbs, period. That's 600 calories or 30% of the daily food intake for most people.

Quit being a piece of shit.

Here's another for you, OP. It's paleo, not strictly keto, but there's some crossover and some of the recipes will work without modifications.

suprafiles.net/vbq2pyiyx9gp

I run a calorie deficit (500-600 calories) with my diet so i'm not stuffing my fucking face with blocks of cheese and bacon and nuts.

Sometimes i like to drink hard liquor as well (this actually really deepens my bodies ketosis as an after effect) however this is kinda counter productive to dieting.

Are you a sad troll or a delusional hangry drunk? Either way, you come across as a person who really hates himself. I'm not that guy, btw.

FPBP

>Hey you know whats healthy taking a whole food group out of your diet.
If you studied any nutrition you would know that the body needs a good amount of carbs as well as protein and lipids. You area piece of shit fat gut because you stuff your goddamn mouth. Eat less and work out , boom, done, you lose weight, stop falling for fad diets.

Carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient. This is a scientific fact. If you studied anything about human metabolism you would know this. Imo, the only worthwhile carbohydrates are green vegetables for the fiber and vitamins. You can eat more than enough of them to get adequate amounts of dietary fiber and vitamin and still be in dietary ketosis. It's actually not a fad diet. It checks out scientifically. It is one of the normal, natural metabolic routes for the human body.

You don't need carbs m8.

What do you need carbs for, seriously? I'm not even keto fanatic, but I seriously don't understand how are carbs needed.

My food budget is around 150 a week, I'm I too poor for keto?

I wouldn't go for keto/paleo if I was any short on money
Good fats are expensive

Vegans don't get a say in anything as they are a bad source, because the veganism has affected their brain.
They're literally too stupid to comment.

fpbp

fpwp

I don't know how healthy/unhealthy keto is for general health. But I did it for fat loss and it was pretty good. Most of it was water weight though I think. Still the fact that I lost a ridiculous amount of weight in such a short period of time made it easier for me to push on and keep it going.

Congratulations, user.

OK lads my dad is like 80 years old and has all the typical 80 year old diseases. Diabetes, high blood pressure, had a stroke a few years back. He has a big belly, weak, is almost deaf, and has trouble breathing sometimes. I suspect a lot of it has to do with his fatness. I lost a bunch of weight on keto so I told him to give it a try. He's very stubborn though and will not listen to reasons. That was last year. Last month he read the China study and could not shut up about it. So now he's on a "loose" vegetarian diet. So he still eats animal, but it's mostly fish and in pretty small amount. He still eats rice with every meal.
So what would actually be a good diet for someone like him to help him lose weight and fat?

No alcohol, no refined sugar for starters. The China study thing is junk statistics. Vegetarian, pescatarian, low-carb, and keto are all great diets granted you don't eat refined sugars or drink alcohol. Eggs, fish and green vegetables all appear to have a correlation with longevity. Sugar, alcohol, trans fats and smoking all correlate with mortality.

serve him a fluffy pillow over his face while he sleeps.

He doesn't drink, smoke, nor consume sugary food/drinks. He never adds any sugar in his cooking. There is still sugar, but only from the condiments that he adds to his food.
But he's still fat. So clearly something else is amiss.

Well how many years had he been working on the visceral fatty gut? When did he stop drinking/eating shitty food? It doesn't go away overnight. Takes a couple years. Also, what condiments specifically, and how much? Take a look at some of those things' nutrition labels. Take note of the serving sizes and types of sugars in them (often HFCS).

He's had the belly since forever. He's also been dieting since forever. Definitely a lot longer than a couple of years.
Condiments things like soy sauce fish sauce oyster sauce have some sugar in them. He doesn't put a crazy amount or anything. I don't think it's the condiments desu.

Also, he's got fucking type 2 beetus. White rice? What the fuck? That's a terrible high GI, high glycemic load carb. I'm a type 1 and I won't touch white rice. God, he must have a shitty old school doctor.

He's old. After a certain age, you just can't lose that much weight as quickly as you can when you're young. My dad is 70, walks 3 miles a day, survived prostate cancer, eats a fairly healthy diet when I help him, but still has a big gut. It's just how it is.

I don't think it's the condiments then. It's gotta be the white rice. See if you can at least get him to switch to brown rice.

Can you tell me what diet your dad is on?

Just a standard American diet, really. He's incredibly routine-oriented. He has to have his cup of coffee and a muffin for breakfast that I can't sway him from. His doctor told him he needed more potassium and protein, so he eats a greek yogurt with flaxseed granola in it and a piece of toast with peanut butter every day for lunch. I got him to switch to more natural peanut butter from Jif, and to wheat bread and not white. I also got him to switch from having another muffin for an afternoon snack to hardboiled eggs or a granola bar.
If he's left up to his own devices for dinner, he'll have shit like chili dogs and grocery store burritos, and occasionally he'll buy a deli chicken and canned green beans.
So when I'm around I buy fresh produce and make him salads, and usually chicken or salmon with a side of asparagus and potatoes or something like that. Sometimes he'll try something more adventurous, like different grains and roasted vegetables, or tofu stirfry. Really simple stuff, nothing that he'll look at and be scared. The way I get him to eat better is just simply spending time with him, I'll come over and cook while he helps by doing some prepwork and then we'll eat together. He really enjoys it when I frame it as just hanging out rather than telling him what to do.

this
keto is the current meme diet

t. still considers low-fat to be a good thing

not an argument, vegecuck

Those aren't typical 80 year old diseases. Those are just fat fuck diseases

What you're doing is retarded though. You undereat just to drink some liquor and eat a few carbs. Just drop those and eat more fish nuts etc. instead

>""diabetic""goy skipping the State Approved Doctor Coalition Recommended Lifetime Dependency Certified drugs
IT'S LIKE ANOTHER SHOAAH QUICK STOP THIS DIET WILL KIIIILLL YOU!!

DASH or Mediterranean would both be good for him

whats the pancake made out of?

Much appreciated. I'm just glad to be alive. I wouldn't be if I'd followed the quacks' advice.

>White rice? What the fuck? God, he must have a shitty old school doctor.
So much this. When I was diagnosed, the doctors told me that because of the medications they were insisting I take, I would have to eat 12 servings of carbs per day. I was T2D with 400+ mg/dl glucose levels (normal levels are 70-140) and they're telling me to stuff my face with bread and rice and then pop pills and inject insulin.

That's NORMAL for treatment recommendations. In some countries, because of medical standards and malpractice insurance rules, they're effectively prohibited from recommending anything else because otherwise they're liable for malpractice if anything goes wrong.

It's really no wonder that diabetics have a drastically shorter life expectancy. A hundred years ago, the medical establishment knew that the treatment for diabetes was "eat almost no carbs, and when you do eat some, make sure they are 'slow' carbs". Nowadays, it's just "inject moar insulin!!! Sure you'll go blind and your feet will rot off, but that's life!!!!"