What book changed it all for you, Veeky Forums? I'm talking perspective-changing stuff that made you see the world...

What book changed it all for you, Veeky Forums? I'm talking perspective-changing stuff that made you see the world, nature, your fellow man with a deeper understanding.

Bonus points for something that spurned real action or change in your personal life. Not necessarily philosophy, but that would be OK.

Nothing. Epiphanies like that don't actually happen, they are just simple storytelling devices.

don't know about you my dude but i get epiphanies not infrequently. it's the best feeling there is, drives me to learn and think more

I get epiphanies but only when studying mathematics.

This isn't a popular book on Veeky Forums, but
Rereading The Great Gatsby at twenty two gave me what youre talking about

Reading The Catcher in the Rye at 14 (when it should be read) was enlightening. Reading Catcher past the age of 21 is not recommended.

Sorry that you haven't had one before.

man your life must suck

The Republic. I read it in a Great Books class my freshman year of college and was never the same.

sadly I am too dumb

yeah good stuff

hmm, might flip through it again

brothers karamazov

The Dead Father by Donald Barthelme, specifically the chapter entitled A Manual for Sons. I'm trans and my father is an immigrant who conceived me with my mother rather late in his life, and I always struggled to understand him to the point of virtually hating him. Barthelme's writing helped me see the absurdity of fatherhood, and how becoming a father is alienating in a number of very unique and complex ways. It's perhaps the most useful work of fiction I've ever had the pleasure of reading

On the road

Critique of Pure Reason.

"The Subtle art of not Giving a F" audiobook

Its basically Stoicism and with lite Buddhism combined. Its pretty good. I had to keep an open mind to finish it, its pretty red pilled in a way.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
The first time I tried to read it (as a ~16 year old, I think), it started me off on my journey through the Greeks
By the time I felt ready to pick it up again, I was heavily influenced by Plato, the Hellenistic philosophers and the Christians. I was also at the time pretty down on life (I suffered from OCD, though I've mostly recovered since).
This time it all made sense, and it not only profoundly changed my outlook on life, it also lit a fire in me which helped me actually get off my arse and try to change things.

And long before that, my mum reading The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy to me when I was in hospital when I was a kid.

Against the Modern World by Julius Evola.

After reading that book, my understanding of the world is now complete.

sometimes knowledge takes time to bloom
>some philosophical text, i read it for three months
>made me stop saying 'water water everywhere but not a drop to drink'!

This.

It is incredibly red-pilled, must-read

One flew over the cuckoo's nest

Hobbe's Leviathan

The Holy Bible

How is that? Been meaning to pick it up.

Siddhartha back in high school was the kicker into philosophy as a substitute for anti-D's which I distrust. I read reallllly slowly but it's worth it. coffee helps

Very well written, in fact. It puts a different perspective in many civilizations and societies, like how history is divided by cycles contrary to popular belief. Also there are some meta-history here and there, and references to many mythologies. If you do not have a wide vocabulary, I suggest that you utilize a dictionary while reading this book, and it also serves as a introduction to his many works.

Personally, I give a 9.5/10

Ebola is a /pol/ and /stormfront/ trap, don't get sucked in by this pathetic shitlord

I'm not a /pol/ faggot, you dolt. I'm far from that nonsensical trash of a community, if you call a pack of literal rabid, albino monkeys, a "community." .

Civilization and its Discontents - I read The Republic and Brothers Karamazov.

This book shits on both of them in terms of redpilling you on life.

This gave me a lot of insight in human nature. Also the movie Stalker.

The Foundation for Exploration

not really a book, but Plato's Apology of Socrates

sophies world, portret of dorian grey. some stuff from the bible. THe lucifer effect. The art of war. zen buddhism by allan watts. secrets of the lost races. Spinoza ethics. hegart on creativity.

Math epiphanies are the best. Goddam I love maths even though I am a brainlet and will never into theoretical physics.

>stalker
Based user knows

When I was 16, Demian had a profound effect on my view of myself.

The first four dialogues of Plato (trial and death of Socrates) did it for me. Completely changes the perspective on things. Still reading Plato and when I'm done through most of him I'll go to Aristotle.

If you've seen it, what did you think of Andrei Rublev? I deeply respect and love Stalker, but Andre Rublev changed my perspective on humanity much more. Tarkovsky exerts an immense insight into human nature in all of his films though.

the world as will and representation probably fucked me up permanently.