It’s damn cold outside and I’m in the mood for soup. What are Veeky Forums‘s favorite soups or recommendations?

It’s damn cold outside and I’m in the mood for soup. What are Veeky Forums‘s favorite soups or recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

geniuskitchen.com/recipe/tom-kha-gai-8575
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

potato leek soup

Minestrone. Spanish garlic. Hot tomato. Both Indian and Mulligatawny. Cream of chicken and almond. Creamy cauliflower. Wild mushroom or artichoke. French onion. Lentil stew. Cream of Broccoli. Seven Mares. Kimchi Jiggae. Braised octopus. Swekee stew. Etc. Artichoke syrup soup.

M E N U D O

Consomme

Carne en su jugo! Best hang over food!

my tia sells menudo every saturday and people all around just show up and buy some

fuck a soup, its all about stews and chilis in these cold winter months. but dried beans and lentils, cheap cuts of beef and pork, and use a pressure cooker to make a hearty meal.

This as well. Vichyssoise fell out of favor after a terrifying mass-poisoning incident, but it is damned good, and a lot of other ingredients could be added for taste and texture.

ONLY if made properly. Grocery store shit couldn't pass as lazy stock. And try adding a shot of different wines to your bowl for an interesting kick.

>666
>M E N U D O
Looks about right. Evil garbage. Tastes like you walked into a barn with your mouth open.

On cold days i like a good spicey chicken and veggie soup.
>saute onion and garlic
>water
>celery
>a can of diced tomato
>chili peppers
>bring to boil and reduce heat to medium low
>add chicken thighs
>cook for a few hours
>remove chicken, shred, return to pot
>add carrots and potatoes
>remove from heat once carrot and potato are fork tender
>some kale is good to
Oh yeah, at some point add salt and pepper and whaever else.
I feel like im missing something but im too drunk

I usually put stew and soup in the same category. When I make minestrone it often get as thick, if not more, than stew.

This, and don't forget about curries.

I have no recipes to share, tho. Sorry.

you dont wanna do that. ministrone stew sounds better than minestrone soup, however.

Beef stew, chicken and dumplings, chili, tortilla soup, and potato soup are my favorites and what I make most frequently.

Caldo verde - Portuguese kale and potato soup. My new fucking go to for soup

recipe?

I like cream of asparagus soup with a sandwich. Like a club = Turkey and ham with bacon and cheese.

I make really good chicken noodle soup.

Seolleongtang

Just whipped up a broccoli/pea/spinich soup.

>Boiled the peas and broccoli together
>strain the greens but keep all the liquid.
>Through some of the greens in a food processor with spinich and blitz
>keep going until its incorporated adding small amounts of the liquid as needed
>Once done use a mesh colander to separate the solids and liquids
>put liquids back into pot
>put solids back into food processor and add tsp of tahinni, chipotle, pinch of salt and 1 clove of garlic
>blitz until smooth
>put that mixture back into the pot and put on low heat stirring.
>add more liquid until desired thickness
>fry up diced union and a bit of bacon while soup is reheating
>slurp it in your word hole on a cold day

>potato leek soup

This. So good.

Pasta e fagioli

ham bone and split pea

Lentils my man

Spinach and lentil with loads of ginger, garlic, chilis, and curry powder. Blend and add chicken. Really healthy and delicious, 10/10.

>throw chicken in the oven to roast with veggies and bay
>sweat aromatics in butter
>apply flour to situation
>make sure clumps are gone and flour is cooked
>apply chicken stock and milk to pan
>remove chicken from oven and slice into smallish pieces
>add chicken to soup and let simmer
>meanwhile mix flour, buttermilk, baking powder, salt, pepper, and an egg to make dumplings
>apply dumplings to boiling soup
>wait
My favorite soup of all time from my childhood desu.

>aromatics
What is the actual difference between aromatics, spices, and herbs?

1 lb of russets peeled and 1/4-1/2" dice
1 lb Yukon holds same as above
8 oz minced leek
2 tbsp butter
Olive oil
1 lb Portuguese linguica or another garlicky sausage pre cooked
1 bunch curly kale, stems removed shredded finely
6 cups good chicken stock
Chives for garnish
3 minced garlic cloves

Heat pot on medium. Add butter and sautee leek and garlic until soft but not brown, about 8 mins,add olive oil if needed to keep mixture moist. Add stock and potato. Once it returns to simmer add kale and cook about 20-25 mins until russets disintegrate, these are there to thicken the soup and the Yukon yolds are tender. If desired mash potatoes in pot for thicker consistency. You still want chunks of the Yukon golds to remain. Add sliced sausage. Note if you are not using actual linguica (which is difficult for me to obtain even in the 4th largest city in the US) you may want to add a shot of vinegar to kind of replace some of the linguica flavors. Serve with a nice crusty bread and top with minced chives.

Wah-la

Gaspacho

Alphabetti Spaghetti?

Manhattan Clam Chowder baby

Cook until potatoes melt (or mash them) before adding in kale and sausage to simmer for 5 minutes help retain the jade green colour. Use chorizo if you can't find linguica. Drizzle olive oil on top of bowl before serving. Taste better.

I like spicy soups when it's cold out. Chicke posole verde is a favorite- it's like pollo verde in soup form with hominy added. I also like tom kha gai if I can bother going to an Asian market. Both are pretty simple to make.

>I'm in the mood for

Made some banging beef and barleylast week. That's the real good shit.

With cauliflower? Da best.

1 kg lamb offal (heart, liver, lungs and other organs)
1 large red onion, finely chopped
5-6 spring onions, finely chopped
3 medium romaine (cos) lettuce, roughly chopped
2-3 sprigs of fresh dill, chopped
1/2 cup rice
/2 a cup olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper

For the egg lemon sauce (Avgolemono)
2 eggs
juice of 2 lemons

In a large pot add the organs and plenty of water and bring to the boil. Blanch the organs in the hot water for about 3-5 minutes. Add the intestines and blanch for 5 more minutes. Drain and set aside to cool down for a while. Chop in small pieces and remove the excessive fat (optional).

Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil, the chopped onions and the meat. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until browned. Add 2-3 glasses of hot water and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the roughly chopped lettuce squeezing them down to fit and place the lid on. Cook for 10 minutes, remove the lid and season. Stir well and cook the magiritsa with the lid on for about 40-50 more minutes. (If you choose to make this magiritsa recipe with rice, stir in the rice about 10 minutes before the end of cooking time.)

Egg lemon sauce: Start off by separating the egg whites from the egg yolks. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and add the lemon juice whist whisking until combined. In another bowl add the egg whites and whisk using a hand mixer until the egg whites are foamy and thick. While whisking slowly add the yolk mixture in the egg whites. Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes and gradually add 1-2 ladles of the hot broth from the magiritsa, a litte bit at a time. Make sure you add the broth slowly or the egg whites will curdle! When done, pour the mixture back into the pot and add the chopped dill. Stir well, place the lid on and leave aside for 5 minutes.

Ladle the magiritsa while still warm into bowls and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!

(You can optionally create lamb stock out of lamb's head and some onions to add to this soup)

Here's a slightly less grim-looking pic. You can also substitute all the offal for mushrooms too but it's less fun that way. Still very tasty and easier to make though.

pea soup with ham hock, served with cornbread

What's your tom kha gai recipe? I always thought tom yum and tom kha were hard to make

It's not too hard, most of it is just cooked in the broth. For me the hardest part was finding galangal.

geniuskitchen.com/recipe/tom-kha-gai-8575

This recipe is pretty similar to what I do, but I don't add brown sugar or tomatoes, and I add a good blob of Thai chili garlic paste as well. I use fresh oyster mushrooms instead of canned, but it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

Tried mashing the potatoes before but I liked the chunkier texture better I guess. Good point on the olive oil in top, forgot about that. Not a big fan of adding the kale at the end but to each their own.

Klam suppe.

ham and potato soup with some cheddar cheese is good shit.

If you're lazy you can also make some chazuke, which is just green tea with rice and savoury toppings. It's pretty good and filling if you chop up some meat and put it in there.

Tomato basil with a nice grilled cheese

I don't know of a precise definition of "aromatics", but it includes things like onions, garlic, leeks, and scallions.

Spices are dried plant material, usually not leaves or stems, usually but not necessarily ground up into a powder, or in another small form, like flakes. Black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, anise, e.g.

Herbs are the leaves (and stems? Maybe flowers?) of plants. Not usually ground up, but often dried. More delicate, fresh herbs, like fresh basil, give up their flavours very quickly, and should be added no more than five minutes before serving.

This literally means disgusting soup in Danish

Just make some Borscht. Makes you feel good and it is cheap.

One of my favourites is minestrone with a fuck ton of sliced up fresh jalapeños. Cream of broccoli is aweome too

I have no babushka to teach me how to make it the right way though

just make some beef bone broth and beet sours, then put it together with sour cream. My cousins always spent 3 weeks before our family reunion working on it then would have a humongous pot of it for the whole week.
I personally would say don't add meat to it, instead have a sausage and schnitzel on the side.

Chicken and fluffy dumplings