I need to cook a steak people. How the fuck do I know my pan is the hottest it can be so I get that sweet sear?

I need to cook a steak people. How the fuck do I know my pan is the hottest it can be so I get that sweet sear?

Your pan is ripping hot when you put room temperature oil on it and the oil shimmers.

Have fun with that smoke detector.

No smoke detector here, but you're not supposed to make the oil smoke anyway right? That's the issue.

That depends on the oil. Olive oil smokes at pretty low temperature so you don't want to use it when you're searing meat. Read the bottle, it will tell you the smoke point. Or just put it under the broiler and save yourself the trouble.

Problem is I'm so used to olive oil (I'm italian) that most other oils kind of taste like shit to me. They're fine as far as making French fries goes, but am I really supposed to sear meat with some seed oil? Not sure why but it sounds stupid.

You can use olive oil but you risk burning the oil and ruining the steak. Up to you. I already said you could use the broiler and be perfectly satisfied without worrying about oil or smoke.

[Spoiler] I don't have a broiler [/spoiler]
So what oil would you use? I'm open to trying something new

First of all what kind of steak are you gonna cook? Different part are cooked in different temperatures, also how thick your beef is?

pop the steak down, then add your oil. The steak forms a crust and releases the pan while cooling the pan itself.

>pan
use a BBQ

The fact that you have to ask means yer steak is gonna be fucked OP. Just cook it to medium rare and be happy

Just use whatever oil it's fine (though higher smoke points are better, google them). There's only one way to learn how to cook steak and that's to cook fucking steak. Get your pan hot enough that oil goes wavy like user says. As long as you don't leave the pan too long smoke should be minimal. Few things, let the steak sit a bit and come to room temp. 2-3 minutes either side for rare. Don't forget to sear the fat for 20-30 seconds. Do it on a BBQ if possible. Optionally you can toss it in the oven for a bit after searing or look up the reverse sear technique if your cooking to impress. Everything before the BBQ sentence is enough to get you started. Again, learn by doing.

> no one can ever hope to learn anything, ever
Nice attitude user

Not from Veeky Forums certainly

I have rapeseep oil for seasoning my cast iron. It has a crazy high smoke point, I use that for searing. Pretty cheap, but also you don't use much, so it lasts pretty long.

Then why are you here? For the dank mcchicken memes?

For discussion on several topics

teflon is toxic above 500F
stake is made on a grill only

Olive oil is a shit cooking oil, even as an italian you shouldnt be using it for everything. At that point your just as bad as murricans putting ketchup on everything. Buy some goddamn cooking oil.

Or any other non-coated pan like fucking cast iron, dipshit

B..b..but c..cast iron is a meme.

>Or any other non-coated pan
>pan
no

you don't deserve stake

It came out medium well and with a shit sear. What's the quickest way to die anons?

I don't think there's an oil that has a smoke point that high, so you're not getting there anyway

Edit: apparently avocado oil and safflower oil do, but I doubt anyone cooks steak with those

Fry it in beef dripping and butter, its nicer than in oil.

That steak in pic related is over cooked