I read about 60 pages of great expectations in total last night and today. It's really incredibly boring as fuck

I read about 60 pages of great expectations in total last night and today. It's really incredibly boring as fuck.

Probably because your expectations were too great.

Stephen king and jk Rowling will be worshipped like Dickens in 150 years. People like you guys will be praising them

Anyone with a brain already knows that english literature in general is incredibly overrated.

Ready Hardy or Elliot instead, Dickens is indeed overrated.

Dickens can eat a dick

Poor orphan kids and rich guys in London: The Author

kek

Do you all even know how to read? Dickens is the undisputed master. Joyce put him at the pinnacle of English literature in the Oxen chapter for a reason. It's difficult to find one literary technique used today that wasnt introduced by or significantly improved upon by Dickens.

Overrated... go back to watching Donnie Darko and complimenting yourselves on how smart you are.

There have been a lot of very successful authors who are forgotten quickly.

You haven't heard of them today because no one has. Ouida and G.P.R. James come to mind

This is why I'm glad NYRB exists. Frankly with so many good forgotten authors out there I'm surprised more publishers haven't jumped on.

I don't think so as their prose is pretty bad. The ones that stand the test of time are written well.

Sammy got popped?

Because no one really gives a shit about forgotten authors. NYRB fill the needs of a niche group, any more publishers releasing forgotten shit would bomb.

stop using Veeky Forums as your blog
you have an identical thread in the catalog right now () and a third was deleted earlier today
people will start reporting you and you will be banned

the ending made me angry.

>implying not liking dickens means not liking classic lit

Tale of two cities is worse

>he didn't know british shit is boring as fuck

live and learn bro

In terms of writing long-ass epic novels about outcasts/the poor/the oppressed in the 19th century, Victor Hugo > Dickens.

Did you even read Ulysses? The Oxen chapter was a parody of the historical advancement of literature. Joyce matches it to a baby's birth to mimic the metaphor that literature and language grows from primitive to advanced that dominates literary anthologies. That's why the chapter ends in a deluge of mixed voices and tongues. Joyce did it to trash the idea that literature necessarily is a teleological progression. If you read the Dickens section of the chapter you'll also see how sentimental and hammy it is. See:

>All that surgical skill could do was done and the brave woman had manfully helped. She had. She had fought the good fight and now she was very happy. Those who have passed on, who have gone before, are happy too as they gaze down and smile upon the touching scene.
>And Doady, knock the ashes from your pipe, the sea
soned briar you still fancy when the curfew rings for you (may it be the distant day!) and dout the light whereby you read in the Sacred Book for the oil too has run low and so with a tranquil heart to bed, to rest. He knows and will call in His own good time. You too have fought the good fight and played loyally your man's part. Sir, to you my hand. Well done, thou good and faithful servant!

Joyce's brother, Stanislaus, in 'My Brother's Keeper' notes that Joyce did not think highly of Dickens' style. One can imagine that he played up the sentimentalism in his parody of Dicken's style in the Oxen chapter.

Don't take it personally. I'm only sperging because I studied the chapter closely. To be fair I don't think very highly of Dickens either but I found Great Expectations an entertaining enough read.