Planning to start making mapo tofu regularly, can anyone recommend a brand of doubanjiang...

Planning to start making mapo tofu regularly, can anyone recommend a brand of doubanjiang? Are any of the ones they’re selling on amazon good? I’m UK, I should say.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sichuan-Pixian-Boad-Paste-Chili/dp/B01M31VHNZ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is there not a local asian store? i think the amazon prices are a rip off. also lee kum kee is kind of salty.

It’s not like I couldn’t go to one if I had to, but I don’t drive and there are none particularly nearby and there’s nothing else I need from one so I’d prefer to spare myself the walk if I can.

And yeah, I’ve heard criticisms of lee kum kee, that’s why I’m asking about alternatives. I could probably find that very nearby but I’d rather get a nicer one seeing as it’s so crucial to the dish.

If you're going to be consuming that much soy, you should probably get fitted for a bra as well.

lmao

it's ok, it has pork and green onion which makes you a man and since the tofu will only cancel out one of those ingredients, it still has a net gain

Ancient chinese secret?

Bump

Actually, while I’m at it, if anyone has a recommendation for Sichuan pepper and douchi too I’d love to hear it.

are you going to order these online as well?
Are you a hikki /a/utist perchance?

Nah, not a hikki, just not itching to walk out to an Asian supermarket and back (probably 45 minutes each way) if it can be easily helped. If everything I need can be found online then great, if not I’ll make the trip.

So do you have recommendations? Which brands to avoid, which are good?

I've bought sichuan pepper at several asian supermarkets (hong kong supermarket, kam man, and han ah reum) and at a waipipo store (kalustyans)

Han ah reum and kalustyans had the best quality stuff

I made mapodoufu 2 weeks ago using this for the first time. Looks like it's $7 on amazon and seems like it'll last 10+ times. It was on the salty side for home cooking but I could have adjusted and it was otherwise good.
You probably know there's spicy doubanjiang and non-spicy. For these kind of sauces, brand value is minimal. You're likely not even going to see the same brands at different asian grocers so just rotate through cheap shit until you find one you like. For the peppercorns get it somewhere with higher turnover. That said, I'm not too sensitive to ingredient quality so YMMV.

Cool, thanks

Enjoy your bitch tits

I just improvise with miso + chili sauce 2bh

Is the sauce in the OP pic have the pepper that make your tongue go numb? I think it's the S peppercorn or something. But every sauce at the Asian market just says Chili pepper.

Also what the fuck is X.O sauce and what do you use it for?

Yin isn't evil though, just lacking in good judgement

When my family made Mapo, it was hot but not "oh god I'm dying" hot, just more like "makes you sweat" hot

A laundry?

How many of you people want to make / make mapo tofu because of shokugeki be honest

kalustyans on Canal Street? You're getting ripped off like a tourist. Go deeper in and find little gems.

Can I find a maguey there in some little Chinese shop?

What about extra special kung-fu?

>Is the sauce in the OP pic have the pepper that make your tongue go numb? I think it's the S peppercorn or something. But every sauce at the Asian market just says Chili pepper.
It's not. If you want a sauce with sichuan peppercorns in it, what does the numbing, look for mala sauce 麻辣. The 'ma' is numbing (the sichuan pepper) and the la is spicy (the chilli).
Most people just cook with sichuan pepper though.

Or is that the one in little poo land, around 29th street and 3rd. That place was so lame with sand niggers that it was the only place worthy of being there, a Thai place moved. HA!

remember the paste you want is made with broad beans and not soybeans the taste is completely different

Fuckin soyboys. Tofu tastes like fucking plastic. That shit is more processed than american cheese.

I went into my local chinese grocery a few months ago. I asked if they had mapo tofu mix, but then I asked the lady if she had any advice for making mapo tofu. We got into a 20 minute conversation about chinese food and I've been making mapo tofu based on her recipe ever since.

Buy pic related, just put a couple of tablespoons of this, some soy, ginger and garlic and you've got that mapo flavour (add crushed sichuan peppercorn if you want to do it right). It's salty and spicy and delicious. My mapo recipe is now:
>lightly brown some onions, then some red/yellow capsicum to soften
>add garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of mins
>add pork mince, make sure you mince it up finely, no big chunks, cook it
>add a few spoonfuls (or whatever amount, not too much though) of hongyoudanban
>a splash of soy sauce, add more later if you need it
>add some crushed up sichuan peppercorn, and water if you need more sauce
>mix that shit up, add some sliced spring onions (scallions for americans), I like to add a shitload
>add in the chunks of tofu, mix up
>add in some more water and a cornflour mixture (mix a spoonful of cornflour with cold water then put in dish, this thickens the sauce)
>turn up heat a bit, let the cornflour make that sauce get deliciously viscous, add some sesame oil
>chuck that shit on white rice and enjoy
And add in whatever other chilli etc you want. It's pretty hard to fuck up.

Forgot to give the amazon link.
amazon.com/Sichuan-Pixian-Boad-Paste-Chili/dp/B01M31VHNZ

This user is correct hongyoudanban is broad beans in chili oil.

Too salty as opposed to what? Every one I've ever seen has had an extremely high salt content. In fact, every one is so salty you need to be very careful with any other seasonings you add after it.

This one looks legit. The one that gets recommended most is ‘’郫县‘’ doubanjiang, and this is one of them.

>kalustyans
>canal street
>muh "little gems"
t. Lena Dunham wannabe

go back to your dust bowl