Hi Veeky Forums, I've finished Lost History by Bob Parry and now picked up two more books trawling secondhand bookshops...

Hi Veeky Forums, I've finished Lost History by Bob Parry and now picked up two more books trawling secondhand bookshops, and I also have Weakness and Deceit: US Policy and El Salvador on order from eBay
Bonner is the journalist whose career was ruined for reporting on the el Mozote massacre

Can Veeky Forums recommend any other books?

The Shock Doctrine would be a good addition.

>Xenophon

Stop reading non-fiction.

you're that user who keeps posting your non-fiction shelves, i'm sure i've seen you post your shelves throughout the summer

Have you tried Joseph Campbell?

What would Campbell have to do with the subject matter you can see there?
Why?

OP go for the ex-CIA pentalogy: Victor Marchetti, Philip Agee, Frank Snepp, John Stockwell, Ralph McGehee

I saw Herodotus, Xenophon and Thucydides and thought he might be interested in analysis of ancient literature ( I know Campbell mainly focuses on myth but there's references to myths in Herodotus).

Just wanted to give a polite recommendation, user, no need to get defensive about it.

Just curious how you would connect Campbell

I love seeing this collection "evolve" just so I can feel better about myself.

Robert Caro - The Power Broker
Gary Webb - Dark Alliance
Bryan Burrough - Days of Rage
Mark Curtis - Secret Affairs
Stan Goff - Full-Spectrum Disorder

The Third Reich Trilogy by Richard J Evans

also, if you want something more fun and that probably aligns with your view of the US, Dispatches by Michael Herr

Is there a problem?
What did Webb add to the discussion of contra cocaine that Alfred W. McCoy, Bob Parry, had not already?

Whiteout by Alexander Cockburn and Jeffery St Clair offers a good overview of the whole Contra-CIA affair. It's good a place to start OP.

Yeah, you.

Is it a good place to start?
The original exposé of CIA narcotrafficking, The Politics of Heroin by Alfred W. McCoy wouldn't be the place to start?
The work of the journalist Bob Parry who originally exposed it all at the AP and Newsweek wouldn't be the place to start?
Leslie Cockburns PBS Frontline documentary Guns, Drugs, and the CIA wouldn't be an informative summary?
John Kerry's Kerry Committee Report doesn't make startling accusations about missing figures in the contra accounting and who filled them and how and how far up in the administration knowledge of this went?

Why do people act like nobody knew anything at the time?

Could you elaborate?

You're a bit of a cock, aren't you?

he's only upset because you remind him of his younger self.
it's fine tho, you'll become him soon.

Will I?

fuck yeah

I just find the lack of historical awareness curious
Its like that work didnt happen, just down the memory hole

Douglas Valentine: The Phoenix Program
Robert Dreyfus: Devils Game

>What did Webb add to the discussion of contra cocaine that Alfred W. McCoy, Bob Parry, had not already?
The connection between the CIA and dumping drugs in black neighborhoods. Also the fact that they would go beyond the passive-aggressive shit they did to Parry (spike, ignore, deny, decry, bye-bye) when exposed in a way that might really cost them.

>Its like that work didnt happen, just down the memory hole
Which is why Webb's story is important. He's regarded as a crank by the non-state state media to this day.

It was known already the drugs were coming into America
Where else would they be sold but in poor neighbourhoods?
And the CIA weren't peddling it, nobody has claimed that except apologists trying to construct a strawman, they knowingly worked with smugglers and dealers and did not ask what they carried on the trip back
>its important because we all pretend it wasn't known and reported

Empire's Workshop - Greg Grandin