How do i make chilli, Veeky Forums? I tried last week, but desu it didn't looked like American chilli at all

How do i make chilli, Veeky Forums? I tried last week, but desu it didn't looked like American chilli at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html
allrecipes.com/recipe/25370/habanero-hellfire-chili/
genxfinance.com/award-winning-steak-chili-recipe-to-feed-a-crowd-for-under-25/
youtu.be/-vc5bCihVmI
youtu.be/B_obeR1OIm8
jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/chilli-con-jamie/#RI5XOKF5SW7C7BA8.97
foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pressure-cooker-chili-recipe-1942714
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I dunno what you mean by "american chili"

I've had excellent luck with this recipe

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html

please note, flyovers who only know the Lady Bird Johnson recipe will insist this recipe is worse than Osama Bin Laden and Anderson Cooper combined because it's published by a guy with an infuriatingly ethnically confusing name

pintos beans, water, tomato paste, and chili powder is all you need for a basic chili.

> At marriage he combined his surname with his wife

Is cuckold an ethnicity?

I said American bc it's the only country who makes chilli? Correct me if im wron (i know im wrong) but im too drunk to english. Thanks for the recipe, i'll check it.

Brown all your meat. I do a mix of beef and pork. Then add your chile powders. I like chipotle, aleppo pepper, and cayenne. After your spices open up in the rendered fat add canned chopped tomatoes, some stock, and whatever veggies you want to add. Or legumes if you’re into that. Then let that bitch simmer until the veggies are cooked to your liking.

I had good luck with Alton Brown's pressure cooker recipe.

Wut?

Thanks. I was about to post the recipe i tried but no. Not even close.

The guy's name. Seems more beta than "ethnically confusing". He's obviously some supreme gentleman tier mutt who took his beaner wife's name.

Who the fuck you talking about? I don't know if i'm too drunk or just dumb.

THIS

If I ever get a roastie to sleep with me she's not stealing my name, pussy pass DENIED

The guy who wrote the fucking recipe linked in the post I was replying to.

Read the fucking thread, dumbass.

Oh, ok. I didn't opened the link tho. I'm the OP btw. I just want some fuckin chilli.

Isnt chilli just beans and meat?

>make thread asking how to make chili
>someone humors you by spoonfeeding your lazy ass a great link
>HURR DIDN'T READ, I JUST WANT CHILI LOL XD
Christ you are fucking stupid as hell

>shit in a bowl
Kill yourself

Never add beans to chili

allrecipes.com/recipe/25370/habanero-hellfire-chili/
Made it just now, tasty as hell

Crock-pot Turkey Chili

1.2 lb. ground turkey (93/7, not ground turkey breast)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 jalapenos, sliced
7 serrano peppers, sliced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans, drained (can substitute other beans for 2nd can)
1 Tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Brown and drain ground turkey. Mix all ingredients in the crock-pot. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.

Alright OP I am going to tell you how to make good chili. Not some ground beef with chili powder in it bullshit that any flyover can make but actual GOOD chili.

First thing you need is some fucking chilies. Go find a mexican grocery store and buy a bunch. Guajillo, ancho, arbol, poblano, jalapeno, habenero, hatch, negro, casabel anaheim, serrano. Each has a different flavour and heat level. If you want a hotter chili add more habenero. If you want a smokier chili add more ancho. feel free to cut off a small piece and taste each one so you get a feel for their flavor. Dried is absolutely fine to get.

Next is your meat. You have to decide if you want ground, chunks or both. I like a combination of 1/3 ground venison and 2/3 chunks of beef. If you go with chunks then get something with a high fat content.

Now if you get dried chilies what you are going to want to do is simmer them in some beef stock to reconstitute them and then blend them. If you use an immersion blender then wear a painters mask or bandana or something because that shit will burn your throat and lungs if you breath it in.

Fresh chilies should be roasted and peeled. The skin is tough enough to hold together even after hours of cooking.

For spices I use cumin, corriander, cinnamon, black pepper and a small amount of star anis. The star anis will accentuate the browned flavor of the meat but you don't want enough to taste it so only use like half a pod. Toast that shit in a pod and grind it yourself.

For the actual cooking you want to first brown your meat(s) and drain off any fat if you are using ground. Then you want to saute some onions and garlic along with any fresh chilies you have used. If you are using preground spices then add them in after the onions are cooked and mix it in and saute just for a minute. brings some life back to those old dried preground spices.

>crock of shit
Turkey? Gross
Drained? Worse
Too much tomato
Not enough onion
Hot sauce???
Not enough chili powder
Not enough salt
You made poorly seasoned stew.

Google-fu, has all the answers.

A person has trouble with chili and the most complicated chili recipe I've ever seen gets posted.

Use reasonable proportions of these for a basic chili:
Ground beef, ancho chilis (maybe 2-4 tablespoons per pound), cumin (optional or maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the ancho amount), salt, tomatoes, onions, garlic, water/stock and kidney beans

Start by browning the beef and sauteing the onions and garlic. Then simmer everything to the right consistency. If you don't use beans, you'll need something else to thicken it up.

t. Lady Bird Johnson

Next you throw all that shit in to a big pot with your meat and add in your now pureed chili mixture along with your other cooking liquids which are beef stock, some kind of tomato be it crushed, concentrate, sauce or your own tomatoes that you have lovingly cooked down and some tomato paste. You can also add some beer if you like. This is also where you add in the beans if you want beans. Some say its not chili if you have beans, some say its not chili if you don't have beans. This is your show do what you want.

Now you let this shit simmer. let it simmer for at least 3 hours. If the liquid starts getting to low add some more stock but you do want this to be thick and not watery.

After a few hours it will be done add some salt and or pepper to taste and serve. Some other things that people add in are sugar (in case you are fat enough that you need to add sugar into every single fucking thing you eat), coffee or dark chocolate to add in a bitter note and another depth of flavour and I have even heard tell of people adding vodka. You can of course also add in things like mushrooms, celery or carrots if you want. I don't judge.

>2 whole anchovy filets
>1 teaspoon marmite
>2 teaspoons soy sauce
>2 whole cloves, toasted and ground
>1 star anise, toasted and ground
>1 tablespoon extra-finely ground coffee beans
>1 ounce chopped unsweetened chocolate
>1/4 cup vodka or bourbon

Come on now. This is like taking everyone's one secret in their personal chili and just chucking them all together. Let's also keep in mind that this is being added to 4 qt of water, 5 lbs of meat, and a lb of beans. The only thing the 2 teaspoons of soy sauce are adding is pretension.

>The only thing the 2 teaspoons of soy sauce are adding is pretension.
Not everything is Kikkoman Light, cleetus

Kikkoman, straight from the article.

This recipe was my original basis for chili, if you don't have a bunch of people to feed, freeze portions of it.

genxfinance.com/award-winning-steak-chili-recipe-to-feed-a-crowd-for-under-25/

>my chili recipe is the one followed exclusively by middle aged moms who want to impress their Rhode Island or Delaware husbands.

>waah I hate my mom

This is a recipe I ripped off of the internet a long time ago. It’s an award winning recipe. I’ve played around with it a few times over the years. It’s not always easy to find the exact chili powders used, but it’s always good. Try to resist fucking with it while it’s cooking. Just dump your spice blends at the right times, and maintain the consistency. If you like melting people’s assholes, you add various fresh peppers like jalapeños and habaneros. The original recipe calls for using chicken and beef, but I usually just use beef.

Section 1
1/4 tsp - MSG/ACCENT
1 tbsp - Onion Granules
2 tsp - Garlic Granules
2 tsp - Beef Bouillon Crystals
2 tsp - Chicken Bouillon Crystals
1/4 to 1/2 tsp - Red Pepper (Cayenne)
1/4 tsp - White Pepper
1 tbsp - Paprika
1/2-8 oz can - Unsalted Tomato Sauce

Section 2
2 tbsp - Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
1 tbsp - Gebhardts Chili Powder
1 pkg - Sason
1/2 tsp - Brown Sugar
1 tsp - Catsup

Section 3
1 pkg - Sason
1 tbsp - Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
2 tbsp - Gebhardts Chili Powder
1/2 tsp - MSG/ACCENT
1-1/2 tsp - Ground Cumin

Section 4
1/4 tsp - Red Pepper
2 tsp - Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
2 tsp - Gebhardts Chili Powder
1-1/2 tsp - Cumin
1 tsp - Garlic Granules
1 tsp - Onion Granules
1/2 tsp - Beef Granules
1/2 tsp - Chicken Granules

(1) This is a 3 hour recipe. Brown and cook meat 1/2 hour.

(2) Add Section #1 spices with a can of beef broth, cook for an hour, add tomato sauce, and cook 45 minutes.

(3) Add Section #2 spices and cook for 15 minutes.

(4) Add Section #3 spices and cook for 15 minutes.

(5) Add Section #4 spices and cook for 15 minutes.

Stopped reading at "msg" faggot. Learn to not be a lazy cook or gtfo.

what the fuck are chicken and beef "crystals"?

all gripes aside, there are way too many spices in that

Quite a few of those are the same spices added multiple different times.

award winning doesn't mean shit. those chili contests are autism fests with stupid regulations.
>msg
won't hurt to add to most recipes but there's already a lot of glutamate rich ingredients in chili
>granules/crystals of everything
why?
>specifically white pepper
why?
>unsalted tomato sauce
does this even exist? should be uncooked tomato puree/passata
>sazon
just grind the ingredients all fresh
>miniscule amounts of brown sugar and ketchup
why? that small amount of ketchup will do nothing and if the intention was to add a bit of tanginess, balsamic will do that and add a bit of sweetness
fuck off retard

What more do you expect from Europeans? They ruin this board.

Not that user, but you're joking, right?

Do you know what MSG is or what it does?

Are you a 1990s soccer mom who's afraid her kids are going to get high blood pressure from sesame chicken?

Sodium content is LITERALLY the only thing remotely concerning about MSG and if you're having it every so often in a singular dish and not every day in chink takeout because you're a fucking lazy failure then you'll be fine.

Please save your parents some money and unplug your router, you fucking retard

he's not saying it's bad for you, just saying it's lazy which could also apply to pretty much any versatile ingredient. It depends on how you use it, there's nothing wrong with using msg appropriately.

Congratulations on being a cunt. It’s just bouillon. The person who wrote out this recipe originally called them crystals for some reason. It’s really not that many seasonings either. They’re just respected quite a few times.

I agree with most everything you said, but it’s still a solid chili. It’s easy to make and modify however you like. I picked this up years ago when I was broke as fuck and just started cooking more than mac and cheese for myself. I tend to use fresh ingredients and grind things myself now. I just posted this to help out OP. Maybe he can use some of your suggestions and improve upon the recipe as I have. Thanks for the constructive criticism. Most people are just faggots with nothing of value to add.

Oh look, three lazyass fatfuck cooks that can't make a chili w/o muh crutch when literal spics who never learned to read can make a more flavorful dish w/o it. Either garner some self respect or kys!

Yes I'm sure it tastes fine, I'd eat it. I just hate how all those chili competitions are kind of a joke. I looked up award winning recipes a few months ago and discovered a bunch of recipes similar to the one you posted. Seems like each recipe has a twist with no real justification for it other than to be different with "muh secret ingredient".
fuck off retard

How can a recipe be so lazy and at the same time unnecessarily convoluted?

This is complete shit-tier chili and at the same time exactly what CASI is looking for and the kind of chili that wins cookoffs. This is what people refer to as "authentic texas red". This is what autistic texans get so defensive about...their hur'tage. Its absolute garbage and NOT indicative of traditional chili as it would have been prepared over a sonoma desert campfire but the way an obedient 1950's housewife would have prepared something "exotic" for her hardworking husband and loving children.
Absolute shit.

Go troll on another board.

Yeah, it’s a fairly standard Texas chili. It’s a solid base for someone to start with though. Not great, but definitely good. Again, people can add and subtract what they want until they find a chili they really enjoy. I’m done going back and forth with a bunch of Mongolian throat singing enthusiasts though.

>pot of msg and an undisclosed amount of meat
Your recipe doesnt say how much beef and its just meat seasoned with dry spices and msg. Not a single fresh vegetable or herb and holy fuck with the msg.
>Accent
>beef bouillon
>chicken bouillon
>Sazon
>Gebhardts
>Fort Worth
All contain MSG

youtu.be/-vc5bCihVmI
Just made this, tastes pretty good

also I can feel it running through my stomach just after a taste

3 pounds of beef. I didn’t realize this was left out.

Basic chili is literally water, salt, chili, and shit cuts of meat/offal. It was made to make the rougher parts of game bearable with little ingredients. Everything else is extra.

>standard texas chili
I took a moment to distill your recipe and eliminated any dead wood. This is what you call "a good chili base":

>4 tsp - Onion Granules
>1 tbsp - Garlic Granules
>2-1/2 tsp - Beef Bouillon
>2-1/2 tsp - Chicken Bouillon
>1/2 to 3/4 tsp Cayenne
>1 tbsp - Paprika
>4oz - Tomato Sauce
>3.5oz - Chili Powder
>2 pkg - Sazon
>1/2 tsp - Brown Sugar
>1 tbsp - Ground Cumin

This is not tasty.

Are you fucks really arguing that serious chili cooks use msg? You're dead wrong. There's more than enough flavor garnered by standard ingredients than to shamelessly stoop that low. Say what you will about texans, but they do have self respect.

>serious cooks dont use msg
I think what he is saying is "award-winning" recipes of CASI sanctioned cookoffs often contain msg. No beans...but fuck to the yeah for msg. And this is true. While "serious cooks" often enter CASI cookoffs the truth is they rarely. "Aint no room in authentic texas red for fancy shit like fresh onions and filler like i dunno...actual chiles."

>they rarely
win. I meant to say they rarely win. Cook offs are alway won ny some culinary witch doctor who really lacks a fundamental understanding of food but they have that "secret weapon" in their third dump.

I'm not arguing anything, I'm telling you to fuck off, retard.

Suck my clit, nigger

Someone get this man the infographic.

No problem. Hope your chili turned out well. Im kind of curious about your recipe though.

This picture is always posted and it looks like shit and is worded gay as fuck

Well yeah, it's the gold standard of cringe.

it's reddit-shit. what would you expect?

dude, you can't say this here. we will have an autism outbreak. i can already hear them screeching. quick, seek shelter!

Here’s my recipie
>Sauté onions in a large pot
>add ground beef, cook until the liquid is gone
>add spice blend and garlic, cook for a few minutes, don’t burn the garlic though
>add beer
>add coco powder
>add tomato purée, cook for half an hour or so
>add diced peppers, I use habaneros and a bell pepper.
>add elbow noodles
>add beans

Add water or stock in between the steps to keep it at the right consistancy. Cook until the noodles are tender. Whole thing should take an hour and a half or so. Don’t forget to grate a fuck ton of cheese over when you serve it up.

Obviously you can change the ingredients around. All you really need is ground beef (or bison), tomato product, and a good spice blend that includes chili powder.

There are more Veeky Forumsers who eat beans in chili than not. It's really just the vocal minority of texas inbreds that wail and gnash their teeth.

>add spice blend
How informative. Is it some super secret vaulted combination of spices handed down from your Mayflower indentured servant ancestor? Faggot.

You make up your own, dumbass. It’s not hard to do

Don't use ground meat. Like with tacos, ground meat is ok, but cubed cuts are ALWAYS better

>What are Spanish spices?

either: mince or chuck
brown meat, remove to a bowl/whatever
then in the same pot add some more oil
fry cumin a bit
add mirepoix
once onions turn translucent, add some garlic
add a mix of chili + paprika + black pepper + salt once mirepoix + garlic is done
let the spices cook a bit
add a tin of tomatoes
reintroduce meat
add beans if you want (I like kidney beans, some people use pinto)
add some diced peppers
(could also add a bunch of other vegetables at this point, it's up to you really)
add a stock cube and some worcestershire sauce
make sure the water level covers everything, and let it cook for a while (a lot longer if you're using chuck)

you can also add in coriander powder but that's not to everyone's taste
also if you want to go full whacky, you can use corned beef (adding once you've added the tomatoes)

youtu.be/B_obeR1OIm8

>mirepoix
Moving on to the next post now.

hello pleb with a bland-palate

Jesus christ can reddit not see how obnoxious they are?

I make chile often. Its never the same twice though always recognizable as 'mine'. Here is a rough outline but for fucksake dont measure...this is just to a reference.
If you follow this recipe...adjusting to your personal needs...you will make good chili.

>3-5 lbs meat
Any combination of ground beef, ground pork, chuck, brisket, and/or chorizo
>3-4 onions, diced
>2-5 cloves of garlic, minced
>1-2 cups dried and ground chiles
Any combination of ancho, pasilla, mulato, mecca and/or morita
>1/2-1lb beans, dry
Any combination of black, pinto, red, and/or field peas...never kidney
>1-2 28oz cans of tomato
Use whatever...crushed, diced or even juice
>1/2-1qt water
>4 cubes beef bouillon
>1/4 cup corn oil
>1/4-1/2 cup cornmeal
>1-2 tbsp ground cumin
>1-2 tbsp ground black pepper
>2-3 tbsp kosher salt
>1/4-1/2 cup fresh oregano

Cook beans seperately or use canned
Saute onions in oil...reserving about 1/3
Add and brown meat
Add dry chiles and garlic about 1/2 way through browning
Add tomato, bouillon, and water
Bring to a simmer
Add cumin, pepper, cornmeal, and half the salt
Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes
Add oregano, beans, and remaining onion
Reduce or remove heat
Adjust seasoning once it cools

I usually go with 2 or so pounds of stew meat, 1 onion, 1-2 bell peppers, 2-3 cloves of garlic, 1 big can of pintos, 1 big can of crushed tomatos, 1 beer and 1 small can of chipoltes in adobo sauce.

You also need some tortilla chips. Chili needs corn masa for thickening and crushed tortilla chips is an easy way to add it.

I brown the meat a bit but don't cook it through. Then I chop of the onion, garlic and bell peppers. After that I throw everything into a pressure cooker along with 3 handfulls of crushed chips.

I usually add just 1/2 can of the chipoltes and adobo sauce. My family complains that the chili is too hot otherwise.

Then I add

2 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs cumin power
1 tbs smoked paprika
1 tbs black pepper
1 tbs dried oregano
some salt.

Cook it 30 minutes and you should be good.

I cook it 2-3 hours if I'm doing it on the stove. I leave the chips out until the end. I cook it covered for most of the time. Then add the chips and cook uncovered for the last hour.

Its simple friend, I will share with you the secret. Here is what you do. Pick some things you want in your chili, I like beans, beef, bell pepper and onion. Pick some chiles, I like dried cascabels and canned chipotles in adobo. Begin by cooking beans until nearly tender. Brown beef and add to beans. Add tomato sauce / paste until it reaches a consistency you like. Cook onions and bell peppers in a pan until smelling good. Adjust consistency through stock / beer / tomato sauce / water / whatever you want and some sort of corn product be it masa / corn chips / whatever. Add fresh chopped chiles and adobo sauce if you got it. Add your favorite mexican spices and whatever the fuck else you want and season to taste. Let it cook for however long you want until satisfied. Bone apple-LA

>instantly sends the most retarded recipe
>blames republicans for people saying its shit
I hope you enjoy your "chilli!"

>all these anons suggesting beans in the chili
disgraceful

is there fucking chocolate in that chili ?

i think those are stock cubes
or that knorr tripe

It's chocolate

you're chocolate

Yeah it isn't awful if you use a gentle touch it should be cocoa powder though not Hersey's. I have had it before it is based off the idea that Aztecs would combine chili peppers with chocolate and so the retarded leap of logic occurs that chocolate pairs with chili.

That's a perfectly reasonable logical leap, despite me not necessarily agreeing with it.
>aztecs liked cocoa with chilis
>what if what if we try some cocoa in this spicy meat dish

I like working with chocolate but I don't like how bitter it makes chili. Paprika does the job correctly without adding the dull bitter flavor. I'll sometimes add lime to balance it out with some tartness. The type of meat you use matters. I prefer ground bison heavily seasoned.

Finely chopped peppers and chilis will make a huge difference. Experimenting with them is part of the fun. I like anaheims and sweet banana peppers. Pinto, kidney, or black beans change the flavor dramatically. White beans do not but add thickness and texture.

I think cumin is overrated as a staple ingredient but that's just me.

This sounds really good user
I may try it

I just made chilli.
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 lb ground beef
1 glass white wine
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp each marjoram and oregano
1/2 tsp hot paprika
2 tsp aji panca
1/2 lb drained pinto beans
1 can passata
1/2 tsp bisto gravy powder

I would have used beer but I forgot to buy some.

>Aztecs would combine chili peppers with chocolate
Its called mole

>do you like my beefy tomato beans?

Thats dreadful.
You have 1-1/2 tablespoons of anything remotely chile-like to 2 pounds of meat beans and tomato. Im fine with beans and tomato but it has to reasonable
I mean seriously...this is not chili.

My nose makes its own bubblegum

Don't think of it as a sauce or stew. Think of it as beef braised (on a burner instead of oven) with chili pepper.
Soak some chiles de arbol (20 or so per pound of beef) a few hours ahead of time, or overnight when you start the beans, if you plan on using beans. Seed and stem the chiles, then puree, or puree them whole and then strain for a hotter chilli. Take some chuck, trim and clean it, cube it. Season with salt and sear it in a large pot with a wide bottom. Get a heavy sear on there, almost a bark. Set beef aside, reduce heat and add about 1 and 1/2 cup diced sweet onion (a little less if using something not of a sweet variety) per pound of beef. Once the onion is soft and releasing juice, add enough whiskey to deglaze. Remove as much peel and stem/seeds from a couple small or one large crushed tomato as your autism allows and add to pan with some crushed garlic as whisky is drying up. Let it all meld together as you stir. Add beef stock or water to just cover the meat, pureed chiles (there are a lot of blends you could do and stuff like ancho that is great, but basic tree peppers for basic chilli), bay leaf, sage, and oregano. Cook over a high simmer while stirring periodically to clean down the sides of the pot and keeping stuff from settling on the bottom for too long. It will reduce and thicken as the beef pulls apart. For best results, don't rush it. Adjust seasoning and add some beans if you want, or make some cornbread.

You can use a slow cooker after browning and deglazing, but it's better with a slightly higher heat and periodic stirring. Use a pot that seems to be way too big. You want a lot of cooking surface for the browning, and tall sides for when it starts to thicken but has a while to go and is popping saucy bubbles around periodically.

I added too much tomato and beans. It tasted a bit like spaghetti sauce but hot. I just hate opening cans and only using half of it. It was a quick chilli to get rid of some tortillas and grated cheese I had laying around.

Any recipe using chocolate, cocoa, or cinnamon is bullshit. So are the recipes using chili powder plus a bunch of spices that are already in chili powder.

What you want to do is make your own chili powder using toasted dried chile peppers, probably ancho plus some other spicier type. Toast whole cumin seeds in the pan too, then grind them all up in a blender or something. Add some garlic granules (not garlic salt), oregano, maybe a little basil. Now you've got chili powder.

Combine cooked meat, sauteed onions and garlic, and some sort of canned tomato stuff with this powder and it'll turn out great. It'll need a bit of salt too. Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are a good addition. Thicken if necessary with crushed tortilla chips. You can add beans toward the end of cooking, I like dark red kidney beans and black beans, but not the light colored beans because I think they are ugly.

jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/chilli-con-jamie/#RI5XOKF5SW7C7BA8.97

this one is actually pretty good

Just made some chili last night that turned out really nice, here's a basic outline of what I did:

Beef chuck, cut into fairly large chunks (I like my chili with big chunks of best that you can break up with a spoon, but you can go smaller if you prefer obviously)
Season generously with salt and pepper, brown on high heat in a little bit of oil, working in batches so you don't end up steaming the meat in its own juices by accident.
Reserve meat for later, in the same pot add your aromatics, which should include at least some onion (I used a mixture of red and yellow this time and I was pretty happy with it) but can also include some fresh peppers of your choice, I used some fresh jalapeno. Add but pinch of salt to draw it some moisture and cook on low/medium until softened, making sure to use this opportunity to scrape as much fond from the bottom as possible, the liquid released from the vegetables will help with that a lot.
Once those look good, add some tomato paste, amount is up to you but I usually go with like a quarter cup. Mix in and cook until you feel some nice caramelization forming.
At this point I tried something for the first time which I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't usually do so, added one of those small cans of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce which I'd chopped up fairly small.
I like to add some more chilis to the mix in the form of a paste made from toasting dried peppers in a pan until fragrant, steeping in chicken stock for about 20 minutes, then pureeing I'm a blender.
Once all of that is in, you're ready to add your meat back in, add your braising liquid of choice (beer is the correct choice, I like a good Porter or other dark ale personally), and cook covered until your meat is as tender as you'd like. Additional seasoning is up to you but I'll general add at least some garlic, cumin, black pepper, and smoked paprika.

>Sugar
>Corn
>Green beans, seriously?
I love it when people make their version of 'chili' and they eat it so much that they convince themselves that its real chili, enough so that they'll fight someone over what chili is

Saw the episode of Good Eats where he makes as close to a traditional chili as he could.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pressure-cooker-chili-recipe-1942714

I used to much thickener and had to through some water in it to thin it out, but it was really good. Still have some of the chili powder I made, that turned out really well also.

Try it sometime if you want to try to recreate the original style, or just want to try it out. Good episode too.