19th French literature

Is there anything more overrated than 19th century French literature?
>Extraneous writing
>No sense of storytelling
>God-awful characters
>Boring settings
I honestly fail to see the appeal of it, yet I see it praised times and times again.

The French are the biggest meme in history next to women. Their philosophy is a ripoff of the Germans, their literature is all sentimentalist drivel. Their master of natural science was stolen from them as soon as it began to require actual effort. They are filthy effeminate bohemians with an incoherent political tradition and a language that sounds like it's as loose as their women.

Sartre is the epitome of the Frenchman. He's a talentless hack who appropriated German philosophy while completely misunderstanding its most basic premises, so that he could unwittingly reverse engineer it into more Cartesian claptrap, and then use that as an excuse to dilate and meander for 400 additional pages in service of his own unwarranted ego. The man wrote 20 pages a day over his entire life, on average, and all of it was the same, tediously repetitive French garbage. Every Frenchman wants to be Sartre, because every Frenchman is a narcissistic talentless little pissant.

The only good thing the French ever did was have a revolution, and the only sense in which it was any good is in hindsight, because the Germans got so much philosophical capital out of treating it as a spectator event and weaving it into their own writing. The French themselves can't think, they can't write. There's no discernible point to their existence.

What about the Ball Sack?

Flaubert, Hugo, Rimbaud, Taine
Those are the ones you need to read

Assertions, mon frere. Assertions.

Amen

I liked Maupassant, Zola, and Hugo. I also want to read Chateaubriand.

Fuck the so called existentialists

>I don't see the appeal of it so it must be overrated
Maybe you're too lowbrow to appreciate them properly, haven't you ever thought about that?

Actually, Russian literature from this period matches up better with your meme text.

tl;dr

What a nifty cell you've placed yourself in - such meticulous construction. I doubt you'll ever escape it.

>Is there anything more overrated than 19th century French literature?

French Philosophy.

saved

Stendhal is based.
Go fuck your self.

Also Balzac, Constant, France, Merimee, St. Beuve and a few dozen others.
But OP's non-evaluation and non-reading of 19th c. French authors is completely justified. I don't know how they're overrated exactly, but if he thinks so it must be true.

>Is there anything more overrated than 19th century French literature?
I would say underrated really.
Gautier, Mallarmé, Heredia, Nerval, Péguy, Régnier, Verlaine etc.. all of them are fantastic.

Lol, but those are hacks

Gee. Youve read Lost Illusions, Adolphe, Penguin Island, Carmen\Colomba, and Port- Royal a-and can say that with such ease! Clearly there's no standing up next to (you) sir. I bow my head in shame....

Balzac's fine, but come on now let's be serious here. Constant, France, Merimee, St. Beuve etc. are just period pieces. It really would be a waste of time to read them, and you don't need to read a novel from cover to cover to make that judgement.

The Nouveau roman is the worst

>a list of literally whos

go home froggieman

Constant's a great writer but his few fictional subjects are period, granted. France I just happen to like, but I really can't defend him after Proust.
Reading St. Beuve is both interesting and comfy and even informative but not most anyone's cup of tea, but I do rec 17thc. Portraits. I must however stop at Merimee. Merimee was\is a fucking genius.

Can you do one of these on China?