Went to in-laws for 2 day visit. MIL puts roast beef in oven at 8 pm for noon dinner the next day...

Went to in-laws for 2 day visit. MIL puts roast beef in oven at 8 pm for noon dinner the next day. Cooks at 350 for 2 hours, shuts off oven and leaves the roast in it overnight with no heat on. Next day at noon pulls it out to serve. I won't eat it because bacteria and all the in-laws get pissy at me. Woould you eat it?

Maybe she took it out secretly at night and spat on it.

Spat??? Are you from Londonstan?

Maybe she rubbed it on her genitals, I wouldn't eat it unless she can prove she didn't.

What? No. God, no. Why are MIL always such shit normie cooks?

Thanks, now I have a new fetish.

Probably, but I'm not a germaphobe who gets squeamish about the idea of bacteria.

mercans are such pussies lmao

>This meat, which was probably left in a pool of non-sterile, nutrient rich inter-cellular fluids for several days prior to purchase, was cooked to a surface temperature of over 200, and an internal temp of over 150, then left in a sterile metal box with no airflow for 14 hours
>Clearly it will be crawling with bacteria now!

>sterile

Find me a pathogenic organism that can survive on a non-porous surface at 350F for 120 minutes

Why do dumbasses always do this? They hear from a friend or Pinterest post or whatever about some unusual cooking technique, and then try it themselves without actually properly learning how to do it.
>hehe debra told me how she cooks her roast by heating the oven then turning it off for a few hours I'm totally gonna try it now except I'm going to leave it in a turned off oven for 16 hours to make it extra DELISH! Hubbys gonna love it! :)

one that floats in through the air because an oven is not a vacuum
i'd still eat it because i'm not afraid of that kind of shit

Why even risk it though? Whether it had tons of bacteria on it or not, what's the point of letting it sit in an oven overnight? It adds nothing to the roast and probably actually made it worse since it's no longer freshly made at that point.
Would have been way better to just throw it in the oven at like 9 am and it'd be ready to serve and eat at noon.

The roast itself is nonporous.

*porous

No because I'm not a little bitch. Its not my toilet getting destroyed if I even do get food poisoning.

Spat is correct, did you make it past 3rd grade?

I would probably just politely eat it and embrace the diarrhea next day like a man in worst case scenario

i bet you're the faggot that kept opening the oven after it was shut off to see how it looked

>whining about bacteria on cooked meat
>having no problems sucking several penises every hour

>tfw you drop out before high-school

I literally shit my guts out after having been in that dilemma. You did good op.

Food poisoning fucking sucks.

i mean that sounds like a retarded way to cook it, but of course i'd at least try it. there are some situations where i'd worry about spoilage or bacteria, this isn't one of them.

I don't think you know what 'sterile' means.

I used to cook and eat meat I got out of a bin round the back of tesco express, i'm sure you'll be fine

the get it hot and shut it off methods works great on a cheap roast but she's doing it wrong
>season and brown the outside
>throw it in a 500+ degree oven and shut it off
>come back in 5 or 6 hours
>perfect

>americans

That just means that your gut flora are wimpy.

Shamefur dispray.

You’re this fucking fragile? Kill yourself already.

I would eat it, but I certainly don't understand why someone would think that would be a good cooking method.

Idiot please
Just shut the fuck up and have some soylent or some other nonsense

>hurr only manly men like me eat meat that's been sitting at room temp for 16 hours. What are you a pussy? LOL *runs to toilet to violently spew diarrhea*

I'd probably taste it and compliment it on the good taste, asking how it was made. Then saying how taht is disgusting. As someone who's studied microbiology.

this. eating weird shit is a good way to boost your immune system. there's that 5% risk you're gonna get sick as fuck and die, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Spit - spat
Shit - shat

Correct aint always right Einstain.

>I won't eat it because bacteria

What fucking bacteria do you expect to survive 2 hours at 350?

Unless some dumbfuck opens the oven in between, that room should be sterile until the roast is taken out next day.

The amount of bacteria the roast would have would only strenghten your immune system. It's irrational to fear germs. t. Medschool

here, have a (you)

the oven was room temperature overnight you dimwit

Why the fuck would she do this

>room should be sterile until the roast is taken out next day
this has to be bait

Find me a hermetically sealed oven.

>The state of the American education system

And what does kill you makes you dead.

Take the temp of the roast when it's pulled out the next day. If it's around 140F it'll be safe to eat, but I doubt it stays that warm overnight. Might be able to just set it to 200-225F and leave the oven on until the next day, it'd be like BBQ minus the smoke.

I'm not sure why people get so upset when talking about food safety. Most of the time questionable food won't make you sick but it's still usually not worth the risk unless you're desperate for food.

Well, it sounds like a retarded/horrible way to cook meat. Having said that though, I don't see why it would have bacteria. If the door was shut, then the entire oven would be sterile after 2 hours at 350.

I'd be polite and eat it.

>then the entire oven would be sterile
Most stoves have multiple vents so pressure doesn't build up, it's not airtight and even if it becomes sterile it won't stay that way for long. And you're not cooking the food to temperatures that sterilize it either.

So.., using the wrong word would have been more “right”?

Correct is wrong?
Wrong is more right, because I “feel like it”?
Opposites apply?
But only with left-hand turns?
Left is now “right”?
“42” is no longer the answer?
Shall day become night.
The lamb now lies with the lion and molests it in the dark
Yet all is fine because you are always right due to “Correct isn’t always right”

Get your ass back to /pol/, you troglodyte.

My mommy makes food this way and I haven't gotten ill once. I get used to dry, cold meat and it is still delicious!!! Yum, yum, in my tum!

>Left in a hot oven to dry out until the oven cools down
>Left sitting in a shallow pool of nutrient rich protiens, hemoglobin, and fats for literally hours
>Safe to eat

So you are telling me if a restaurant cooks say a turkey breast in the oven at the end of service and just shuts the oven off and goes home they can serve it for lunch tomorrow and you wouldn't mind that?

>Meat is non-porus
Guess how marinades work?

Plenty of bacteria can survive that though, you do know milk goes bad from bacteria even though milk is pasturized right? It's heated up to 500 degrees (under a pressurized environment so it can get that high) and held there for 30 seconds and it still has bacteria in it.

>So you are telling me if a restaurant cooks say a turkey breast in the oven at the end of service and just shuts the oven off and goes home they can serve it for lunch tomorrow and you wouldn't mind that?

>wouldn't mind

That's not OP's question you double nigger, of course I would mind.

I just wouldn't expect to get sick from it.

uhh if it was.. literally submerged in pure fat, then it'd just be confit

but.... i wouldn't trust your, or my own, mom to confit a damn thing

>Most stoves have multiple vents so pressure doesn't build up, it's not airtight and even if it becomes sterile it won't stay that way for long. And you're not cooking the food to temperatures that sterilize it either.

I feel like there's an entire level of scientific understanding I'd have to teach first before my argument would start to make sense, but I'm going to try, and hope my argument makes sense anyway:

There is no such thing as guaranteed sterile in the real world. "Sterile" is a good fast shorthand for a semi-complicated formula that takes time and heat as inputs, and returns a value that indicates how many percent of the original bacteria and spores are still viable (you want that number low.)

But forget, temporarily, that even bio labs don't have proven sterility and return to food for a while: The food you eat is definitely not, ever, sterile. You remove the pot from the burner and there's bacteria remaining, you ladle stew onto your plate and the spoon, plate, and air that touches the stew in between are all not sterile etc. etc.

So it turns out, we don't actually care about things being proven sterile. We care about things being close enough to sterile that the remainder can be easily handled by our immune system.

Returning to a meat loaf left in an oven: It's not sterile, because nothing is sterile. But it's sterile enough not to make you ill, and the (small) amount of viable spores that will be carried in through the air vents and land on the surface will not be enough to render it inedible overnight. Moreover, they're surface infection, not inside the meat, so they won't breed throughout the loaf but on the surface, only slowly working downwards into the loaf. Since the loaf is (presumably) reheated next day before serving, any surface growth will be killed off and the problem solved - but even if it isn't reheated, I would be very surprised if the overnight rest in the oven causes any issues.

TL;DR: I would eat it.

I'd be a lot more concerned about how horrifically overcooked it is, personally

That's too low to brown well followed by way too long of a rest at far too high temps to not be overdone. It's also not good hygiene per se, as anything which survived the cook would have plenty of time to happily breed. But it's unlikely to be hazardous if it actually sits untouched as a whole piece; the times and temps involved are comparable to a tradesman's or factory worker's boxed or bagged lunch from a century ago except with less bacterial access to your slice because it hadn't been cut.

The issue that I have with it is that it's making the beef worse AND less safe than a normal method, there's no benefit. If 140° core temp directly into the fridge for storing it is fucking through a garden hose, and steak tartare is rawdog, this is like putting on a condom that you deliberately poked holes in.

sear in the juices first.