All i do all day is cook, eat and browse Veeky Forums

all i do all day is cook, eat and browse Veeky Forums
what do you guys do when you arent cooking?

Work for a living

that sucks

Not really. I enjoy my job.

>watch tv
>watch animes
>fap
>sleep

what is your job?

I'm a postdoctoral research scientist at a huge, public US university

how is that like? do you like handle equipment and run tests or something?

My training is part fieldwork/data collection, part quantitative (in order to appropriately analyze said data). Now, I mostly focus on analyzing data that has already been collected, modeling said data, and generating custom simulations. That all means I usually spend my work days writing, running, troubleshooting, and interpreting R code. The rest of my job entails updating my supervisor, writing up my results for publication, and applying for more money to continue doing my job. Not too bad, all in all.

how the hell do you even get into a field like that? it sounds super specific, i didnt even know it existed and i still dont even understand what exactly you do unless it something generic that could be assigned to any kind of data.
Did you just see an add on the papper? did someone recruit you in college? did you study to become this specific thing?

contemplate suicide

>How the hell do you even get into a field like that
I started off with a BS in biology. My master's and PhD programs were really responsible for shaping my research interests and motivating questions. Both programs helped me develop the quantitative and programming toolkits that I currently possess and continue to develop
>It sounds super specific
Maybe a better (less specific) way to describe my work is: I work with invasive insects that affect agricultural crops.
>i still dont even understand what exactly you do unless it something generic that could be assigned to any kind of data
To be honest, I can work with any kind of data. While the data themselves are system-specific, how those data are appropriately analyzed is a pretty general process.
>Did you just see an add on the papper? did someone recruit you in college? did you study to become this specific thing?
Surprisingly, yes. There are e-mail lists for my field of specialty where positions like mine are advertised/posted on a daily basis. I also studied to be prepared for this degree of research specialization.

At work wishing I was home cooking, eating and browsing Veeky Forums

is this what most people do?

>is this what most people do?
That's a really vague question. Do you mean to ask if most people (scientists?) do similar work to me? Or, do you mean to ask if most people go through similar training/education in order to become research scientists?

I mean go to college for some field, get on a mail lost and wait until someone calls or look at specific companies that are hiring

OK. Science is a complex beast.

When I graduated with my BS in Biology, I really was only qualified to work as a lab technician. Hell, to illustrate my point, I applied to work at the Philadelphia zoo as a zookeeper and was offered a job working the donkey rides.

That opened my eyes to the fact that I needed to pursue graduate education to work on something I was interested in. So, I spent the next 9 years in graduate school.

I was made aware of my field's e-mail list by my MS advisor. I actually found my PhD advisor because he posted a PhD program opportunity on that list. I then found my current position from that same list. I had to apply for both my PhD and postdoc positions, and both positions were competitive. I also applied to well over 20 jobs (federal, academic, private organizations) prior to being interviewed for my current job. So, I wasn't automatically guaranteed a position/job.

So, to sum it all up, if you want to do meaningful work and publish in the sciences: Yes, you will likely have to get a graduate degree, seek out specialized social networks for your field of interest, and apply like crazy.

Jesus, are you 50?
All I did with my life was graduate high school and then sit around for five years

No, I'm 32. My PhD specialization takes, on average, 6 years to complete. I also wasn't immediately accepted into a graduate school program. I spent a year working as a file clerk and moonlighting as a forklift driver in a beer warehouse.

>donkey rides

That's pretty much what I thought as well.

Kys

I scuba dive on weekends, I've started do jiu jitsu on some weekdays, go running and enjoy hiking in the countryside
As some who has eventually ended up hating any job I've ever had, I truly envy you

Nah.
Eh, I may yet end up hating it. Time will tell.

A couple days a week I'm producing sessions in a recording studio. Sometimes it's songs people know, sometimes it's original material. The set up is privately funded, and the library of music we make is shopped to film and TV. I end up making a good enough hourly rate that I can work just a handful of hours a week and still make my nut as long as I live modestly. For me it ends up being something like dream job, but without dream paycheck. But I'd rather live modestly than have to do a job I didn't like.

Pls don't, it would give me hope for a better tomorrow

>But I'd rather live modestly than have to do a job I didn't like.
Quints aren't fully wasted

I doubt that I will grow to hate it, if that is any consolation.

I've got a BSc in electrical engineering and work part time as a developer for a medical device company, while simultaneously studying for a Master's in Biomedical Engineering.

I love my job as well. I can get so absorbed that I don't move for hours and don't take any breaks because I like trying to solve the problems.

How do I get a job?

Work

PC games

Meet with friends or family

whatgames do you play?

>I mean go to college for some field

Lots of people but not, I think, most.

There's this persistent myth that you can't get a good job without college and it's just bullshit. And it's sending a lot of people to college for degrees that don't help them get jobs anyway.

But if you know you want to do science or engineering, then college is definitely the way.

how do you get a good job without going to college?

Depends what I'm in the mood for - PUBG these last two hours, otherwise typically something fairly chill or turn based like Civ or Endless Space.

dis nigga talk like a computer

>how do you get a good job without going to college?

Not sure, I went the college route, as did both of my parents.

But one of my friends is a draughtsman for a large multinational and he's almost making Engineer money and there's no college class that'll teach you draughtsmanship, that's an apprenticeship deal though I wouldn't know how to get into it.

Electrician, plumber, carpenter, all the craftsmen are apprenticeship deals and pay pretty damn well though you do need to be willing to work with your hands.

If you're smart - by which I don't mean "got good grades," I mean "score above 120 on IQ tests" - then App Academy might take you on a 12-week programming course which doesn't charge tuition unless you both pass and also get a job after, which is a pretty sweet deal (if you're smart and want to be a programmer).

Secret True Ending: Know somebody who knows somebody. It's amazing how far you can get by doing a good job for somebody who then recommends you for somebody else and so on.

Purdue?

Work
School
Socialize
School
School
Sleep