Why is Japanese food so bland?

Why is Japanese food so bland?

why can't brown people appreciate delicate subtlety and a food's natural flavor?

>spices are bad
Let me guess, you're white.

All the excess spices they add to their food strips the taste buds from their tongue

Japan was perfectly balanced at food capacity for much of its early modern history. There was rarely either severe excess or famine of food. As a result Japanese cuisine is all about doing complex and varied things with a limited number of ingredients, nicely tying in with the focus on subtlety and aesthetics found in other Japanese arts.

Contrast this with America where there was so much arable land they had to give it away, and the country itself only came into being after the Agricultural Revolution. Big and excessive portions are almost a matter of national pride, subtle flavors not so much.

Thanks, Ken-sama

What a noble people.

wasabi soy sauce and pickled ginger are awesome and flavorful.
It's just style, all the flavors are there.

When you live on a volcano with nothing to eat but fish you make due

Always figured it was because they're really smart.

if you're into """subtle""" flavors, you're basically cucking your tongue

This. Every time I eat japanese it's like i'm eating with a cold.

Japanese food can have plenty of flavor. Yesterday I ate salty-sour rice balls filled with pickled plum, sweet-hot ribs rubbed with yuzukosho, and intensely savory noodle soup.

The Japanese food white people eat (as opposed to the Chinese "Japanese" white people eat) is bland af, sure. But that's because they're asking for only the blandest shit, and then going on to deny that umami is a flavor and be so overdosed on corn syrup that they can't even recognize normal amounts of other sweeteners.

wow you got umami and corn syrup in the same sentence, bravo!
3/10

wow you got corn syrup in your mouth, bravo!
58/26 (scored by likely pants size)

Americans need a stronger flavor due to how their tastes are.
The Japanese have a much more sensitive set of taste buds and can actually taste their food and its excessively subtle flavors whereas to us it's borderline tasteless.

Yeah, if people could show self control for a week or two and eat food that's not particularly crammed full of salt, sugar or fatty spices, it changes your perception of taste and intensity.

Out of all the asian food, japanese is the most boring. Well, unless you count inland asia, which is trash tier food wise.

Who is this semen demon?

You haven't had good Japanese food.

>food's natural flavor
you mean absolute nothing? I guess you eat raw beef and paper too you tasteless white nigger

your tastebuds are probably damaged. umami is long since confirmed to be detectable by humans

I'm murrican and I have the opposite problem, I can't stand a lot of Japanese style food because the taste is too much and too different for me. Same goes for a lot of other cuisine, too many flavours combined together doesn't taste right in my mouth, makes me ill. I can only eat the most bland stuff, sticky rice for example has its own unique flavour that I like. Do I have the autism?