What are some books that remind you of Tein Peaks? Either because of the setting, or the prose, or preferably both

What are some books that remind you of Tein Peaks? Either because of the setting, or the prose, or preferably both.
Preferably written in English, but not necessarily. I feel like the atyle would be lost unless it was in the hands of a very capable translator.
Are Mark Frost's books any good?
So far from what I've read, Season 3 of TP made me think of a combination between Pynchon (the zany, humorous parts that are almost conic-book like), Faulkner (dense, at times dreamlike atmosphere, as in As I lay dying, and McCarthy (dry prose with much true grit).

Would love to read sonething that's lile an amalgamation of the 3.

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2001/05/21/a-village-after-dark
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Twin Peaks*

Goddamn cellphone.

I don't know any suggestions, OP, but because I'm also curious, I will give your thread a polite bump.

Been curious to read The Secret History of Twin Peaks for a while. From the sounds of it from people on here, it's meant to be good. I'm sure it'd provide me with motivation to re-watch the original show and re-watch The Return too.

will there be a season 4 or anything new from lynch ever again or is he going to hang up his cap now?

Try Moscow to the End of the Line. It's unnervingly comical, as if something malignant is slowly emerging from the darkness. Something between Pynch and Faulkner, McCarthy not so much, except the ending, which is almost literally exactly Blood Meredian's.

Literally Franz Kafka. The Metamorphosis, The Castle and The Trial for definite. They have that hopelessness that is also played for either humour or devastating tragedy (depending on the person reading it whether they find Kafka funny or not, as well as the translation).

Nothing Lynch has done is comparable in literature. Lynch takes advantage of the visual medium.

> Tien Peaks

What part of the medium do you not understand? In a world with only two people, a man with all sences absent but sight and a woman with all sences absent but smell, aroma and shape of apples surely can't be compared; but in our reality most would agree that shape of apples is closer to the smell of apples than, say, to one of gasoline. If aesthetic hyperstructures exist in the abstract in the same way they exist in the physical, there's no reason why both Twin Peaks and Under the Volcano represent parts of the same ungraspable thing. Furthermore, they need not be exactly the same, smell of pears is not like the shape of apples but undoubtedly closer to it than the smell of gasoline. Don't you ever wander why threads like this one, or one with NGE, are so frequent while "what music is most like Friends" is not? Because clearly good art is less self-contained within its medium and reaches towards the bigger thing, i.e. it percieves not just itself and things that are shped like it but also something on the outside. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia describes something, maybe a feel, that Lower Depth also describes, and that Kiznaiver tried to describe but failed because it described things that tries to describe it and ended up with a lot of second-hand corruption.

The Master and Margarita personally reminds me of Lynch. It's esoteric and dreamlike while also being zany and humorous, the sheer wackiness of the situations being played up until it becomes truly terrifying and uncomfortable.

>sences
Stopped reading there
Faggot

Actually just the most of Russian literature past 1930
Brothers Strugatsky even have the separate books for S1, S2, FWWM and S3.

Homosexuality is closely associated with literacy, see insane overrepresentation of gays among editors, even larger than among writers - fags are on average slightly more creative, but that's to be expected, what's weird is that they are weirdly unlikely to make grammatical mistakes. The effect is so strong that typo-filled writing is a good predictor of heterosexuality, in fact.

>one more month until these twin peaks plebs lose interest and stop bringing up their dumb show

Wayward pines, at the beginning anyway.
Invitation to a beheading.
Pretty much any Kafka.
Season three was almost robbe grillet territory.

The Secret History of Twin Peaks
The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer

I need literature similar to Black Mirror desu
Not necessaril science fiction, but with that feel of uneasiness and the plot twists

Harry Potter

I've read M&M, great book.
Of course, Kafka. Part of the reason why I asked for english books was to avoid answers like Kafka. He's amazing, of course.
How well is grillet translated in english? I'd like to read Last year at mariendbad. Is that his best work? I remember loving the movie.

PKD.

Coop even teleports to Odessa (the one in Texas though) like that one guy in the book
>Brothers Strugatsky even have the separate books for S1, S2, FWWM and S3.
elaborate

The translations seeem pretty straightforward, no complaints. Also, Marienbad was published as a screenplay, not an actual novel. The screenplay pretty much reads like a transcript of the film, as Renais was mostly faithful to the script.

Holy shit I didn't even fucking realize. Am I retarded for not catching the reference?

Monday Begins on Saturday is lighthearted and fun with subtle melancholic and unnerving undertones. Dead Mountaineer's Hotel is a detective novel with supernatural elements, pronouncedly less fun and claustrophobic. The Doomed City grows ever more surreal, unfathomable, and visual.

If you want something more continous, there's a loose trilogy Inhabited Island - Beetle in the Anthill - The Waves Extinguish the Wind (also known as Time Wanderers, holy shit that's a bad localization); it's not really wacky, but the progression from "somewhat linear, physical, gloomy but not hopeless" to "brutally horrid and dark on psychological level" is there.

Haven't seen it pointed out anywhere else so maybe I was just reading too much into it. Alhough with Lynch, you never know.
Sounds interesting, thanks!

Reminder that Lynch is a monster. Probably gay too

What went wrong with le meme dwarf?

Have you seen his head, he is literally
>tfw too intelligent

Lynch is all-style no-substance shallow obscurantist fluff for pseuds who think art is about being wowed by surreal visual effects, so probably either Finnegans Wake or (depending on your opinion, and despite having some actual content to his fluff here and there by accident) Samuel Beckett, who incidentally sucked the dick of the guy who wrote Finnegans Wake.

You could also try Pynchon, if you want middlebrow shit that pseuds force themselves to think they like because they were told it's supposed to be prestigious.

what are some essential dwarf literature?

>Tfw closet gay
>Tfw really good at editing and anal (heh) about not making typos

A-am I outing myself every time I write?

>Invitation to a beheading.

About 1/3 of City of Saints and Madmen is brilliant, 1/3 is Jhonen Vasquez-tier randumb and 1/3 is absolute shit. Disappointing.

da joos

>(You)

Kekles

Oh, sorry OP, I glanced through your post and didn't realise you specified for English-written books, my bad

This is what happens when you work with actors who are also "outsider artists." These guys are so mentally unstable.

ASoIaF

Maybe a movie, big maybe. Don't get your hopes up. Mark Frost is releasing another Twin Peaks book next month though.

This story by Kazuo Ishiguro:

newyorker.com/magazine/2001/05/21/a-village-after-dark

Wasn't it Jalta?

He peaked a long time ago im afraid.

>He fell for the "Lynch's work has no internal logic" meme

fuck me, you're right

>comfy ass small Oregon town setting
>kooky bunch of townsfolk
>slight mysticism

I asked this a few years ago and the best recommendation I got was Winesburg, Ohio. There's no supernatural elements or anything, just vignettes of eccentric characters in small town America. Not a good recommendation if you're looking for something like season 3, though.

I've heard Almanac of the Dead has similar mystic native american vibes