Best sci-fi novels with literary merit?

Self-explanatory. I'm already reading pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_fiction
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a voyage to arcturus

Altered Carbon is the best Sci-Fi book of all time.

Define "literary merit", chucklefuck.

Anyway, The Forever War I feel has merit because it harkens back to the original point of sci-fi: using technology as a setting to present a contemporary view on society by way of metaphor. It's good regardless, but having military experience heightens it.

Also, The New Sun series is solid overall, great commentary, astounding prose, wicked sense of humor etc

Bloom slightly overrated this novel, although there are some scenes of great intensity. Worth a read.

>define literary merit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_fiction

Not risking another trojan from this site

kek

You think so? Once I heard Bloom's opinions on it, I got hyped, and so far, the book is meeting my expectations. I love just about everything so far.

Pretty much the complete works of Gene Wolfe. The man is so far ahead of everyone else in the game that it's ridiculous.
>The Fifth Head of Cerberus
>Book of the New Sun
>Book of the Long Sun
>Book of the Short Sun
His other work isn't as explicitly science-fiction but it all falls under the general umbrella term of 'genre-fiction'.

Maybe me and Bloom dont quite share the same aesthetic tastes. He also hyped up Tolstoy's Hadji Murad and I was quite meh about that.

One of my own faults with Voyage is that I may have been trying to over-analyse every "event" that happens in the book in reference to gnosticism. Saying that, I still liked it though.

Where you at?

I kept thinking throughout the book though that Christopher Nolan would make a kick-ass movie out of this

Gene Wolfe is a meme. Book of the New Sun is just okay and most of his work is shit.

*blocks your path*

Scifi novels with literary merit are not known as scifi novels.

Understandable. We must have different tastes then.

And yes, I agree Chris Nolan could make this a fantastic movie.

I think I'm about halfway through chapter 2.

Then what are A Voyage to Arcturus and Solaris known as?

this

Herbert, Ballard and Boulle rank high in this regard imo.

Le Guin's The Dispossessed
Clarke's Childhood's End
Stapledon's

>halfway through chapter 2

you're not even to the 'trip' yet. it changes dramatically after the night of departure

good taste my dear butts

>Clarke's Childhood's End
dude! allegories on how humans are fundamentally flawed because of their instrinsic alienation from the universe, LMAO
jk, it's a good book

I forgot somehow We
Just finished it. Really great
I loved the open ended finish

bought this awhile ago but haven't gotten around to it yet
is it any good, Veeky Forums ?

Blindsight is to /sffg/ what Infinite Jest is to Veeky Forums

I don't mean in terms of literary merit, but in terms of accumulated meme capital

I know. I'm fucking hyped.

Lulz looks like someone is lowest common denominator/ functionally illiterate/ a philistine. Or just not very perceptive.

The dispossesed sucks donkey dick. You only like it because its "anarchocommunist" or whatever

It's anarcho-Odoeanist, scrub.

Back to your dildos, fart-fetishist.

book o da new sun

let me just note that in my "new opinions adopted via the internet" notebook

A Voyage to Arcturus
The Book of the New Sun quartet
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Riddley Walker
The Glass Bead Game

It's not even good noir

Le Guin is an axe-grinding hack. Stapledon is worth reading, though I preferred Last and First Men to Star Maker

glass bead game is not sci fi you scrub

Literally my favs.

Say what you will of the ideology; it's an interesting take regardless.