So what's the conclusion on this guy? Should I watch his lectures and read his books?

So what's the conclusion on this guy? Should I watch his lectures and read his books?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jMqQBLZwRIE
youtube.com/watch?v=YTEdrZ7uD0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=s4c-jOdPTN8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's a kike, don't bother.

He believes in objective good vs evil and that Liberal Capitalism is the end of History.
He is not worth your time.

Nah. There are hundreds of better philosophers to check out first.

There is objective good and evil. Its definitely not subjective because a lot of people have the same views

I was skeptical but his biblical series is definitely worth a listen

His appeal is essentially that he's baby's first philosopher.

>Its definitely not subjective because a lot of people have the same views
A lot of people are dumb too, what's your point?

You stop shitposting there, bucko

That there are set morals that people generally follow. There are certain films and music that people prefer over others. These things prove that there is no such thing as subjectivity.

The collective always knows more than the individual

you have to be over 10 to post here, you know that?

Are you going to come up with a real argument?

>The collective always knows more than the individual
t.NOTstemfag

Science is a fun interest. Not too sure what you are getting at

Nothing good can come from a Peterson thread. Objectively.

bad bait

You do not know what the words objective and subjective mean.

subjective= based on personal opinions
objective = not influenced by personal feelings or opinions

not an argument. Society typically knows what is best for you. If you could somehow exist on your own without influence from other people you would not nearly be as wise as the knowledge that has come from a collective.

I can manipulate the dumb masses to do what I want, is this your "objective" good? I can make the majority of people literally do whatever I want, good or bad.

You already have a good idea of what is good or bad because you have been influenced by the hivemind. There is no subjective view on morality that hasn't been influenced by the collective of humanity.

He's a neo-nazi trying to hide his nazism with obscure concepts.

He's not a neo-nazi but the fact he isn't aware that a massive chunk of his followers are shows you just how in touch with reality he really is.

Shut the FUCK up!

He is okey for getting people introduced into Jung, but he is hopelessly trying to revive christianity instead of embracing the more complete myth of alchemy that Jung saw

he's pretty good. his lectures on genesis are particularly interesting.

even if you don't like him personally he seems to function perfectly well as a stepping stone to better works. he's introducing a lot of young people to neitzche, tolstoy, and jung, which can only be a good thing.

He's good for commentary on current events too although I think most people's understanding of how he is Christian is a little off base

I think his own understanding of Christianity is a little off base too.

I get that it might be valuable to psychologize certain aspects of the Bible, but Christianity does require belief in supernatural claims, something that he doesn't really give credence to at all.

He’s a good self-help guru. That’s all.

He's got great self help advice defiantly worth listening to his shorter videos. His obvious Christian bias is annoying

Yeah, he's definitely a meme, but he's just so captivating to listen to. The stuff he lectures about is very interesting and you can branch out from his lectures to pursue anything that interests you. His beliefs are quite reasonable in general, he's not overly edgy and he weaves/name drops good books all the time.

Let's face it, the only reason this board focuses so much on his oversimplification of postmodernism, which is only a small fragment of the work he presents, is that they cannot contend with the rest of his ideas.

Peterson's lectures and writings don't simply make one contend with harsh truths about the universe, they also present genuine solutions to these problems. This can he demonstrated empirically through the success of his self authoring program. However, most Veeky Forums-posters are highly introverted, lazy, and have little to no drive to genuinely self improve.

Peterson's ideas present the Veeky Forums-poster with actionable, measurable steps to improve their lot in life, going beyond the mere intellectual circlejerk presented in the majority of discussions on the board. This terrifies the Veeky Forums-poster. So he resorts to attacking the one element of Peterson's philosophy that is easy to criticize. This is a mistake.

He's a salesperson hawking self-help, fortune cookie wisdom

The problem isn't self-improvement. The problem is self-improvement for what.

A retard who doesn't know anything about anything will find him to be an enlightened intellectual. To everyone else he's right wing Coelho. A tad smarter than Argumentman but that is faint praise. He's a snake oil salesman riding the neoreactionary wave and his followers are stupid or genuine neonazis

>conclusion
Independence.

Improvement (transformation of chaos into order) is what humans are adapted to do. If that isn't self-evident already I'd suggest you look into Peterson.

He's the first one to tap the market aimed at self-help books for the alt-right.

Really smart interesting guy with a cancerous fan base.

>Improvement (transformation of chaos into order) is what humans are adapted to do

That isn't an answer. Self-improvement needs a goal.

If you don't have a goal, you're not going to get anywhere.

So what goal do you think is worth painstakingly self-improving every single day?

So you're life isn't so fucking shitty

A life worth living.

Too vague.

It's not vague at all. It's very easy to notice when your life is making you depressed and anxious vs when it's not

Faux intellectual of the worst kind.

And check out this cucking: youtube.com/watch?v=jMqQBLZwRIE

You should stop posting non literature related posts maybe, Peterson posting should be bannable desu

You need a weight in life to carry, a responsibility. Humans aren't meant to do fucking nothing, we have to struggle against something even if it seems pointless. You clearly have never worked a day in your life if you don't see the benefits it gives you. Chaos is the enemy. Order and community are the goal. Thats why you are afforded a comfy place to live and think about this shit instead of being scared shitless living in the middle east or alone in the wild.

What you really mean is:im dont bear any responsability becausy my mommy isnt here to tell me what to do.Pomo cucc

>we have to struggle against something even if it seems pointless

You see, this doesn't actually work in practice. Whatever you work towards actually needs to be valuable to you, or there's no way you're going to do it.

In the grand scheme of things everything is pointless, which means you get to choose what has value to you and work toward it. High school tier shit here

Does anyone else hate this guy's face?
He just LOOKS fucking stupid. He has that expression of smug satisfaction that so many pseuds and mediocrities carry on their faces in public.

The type of person lacking in insight, who can't realise how idiotic they actually are.

>Peterson posting should be bannable desu
Him, Sargent, any Youtuber really

I disliked how much he interrumpted that jew boy when they were in the Rogan podcast. Some things I disagree him with and some I agree. Nice lad in general.

That's very poor epistemological reasoning. Consider framing morality within the limits of perception and experience rather than arbitrary opinion and trend.

>get told to take responsibility for yourself once

I fully agree with you. He has this very common smug face often found in Americans. He has all the self-confidence of a businessman while trying to maintain an intellectual persona. Lad's a shit.

He is not only a youtuber, though.

Some very salty buckos in this thread.

What "a life worth living" means depends on the individual you turbo brainlet. Peterson is an individualist.

>"Anybody that doesn't follow far Left wing ideologies is a Nazi."

You people have no sense of reality.

He's right you know.

>remember when his name first started to circulated
>Veeky Forums sucked his cock left and right
>now he's mainstream and known on reddit anons feel the need to discredit and disparage the very cock they sucked
Peterson is great as a bridge to Jung and in general in adding a whole new dimension to literary exploration and understanding.

Even as a Phil undergrad I could pick apart a lot of his understanding of philosophical figures. (Not a brag, the dude just really isn't a philosopher)

I think his knowledge of psychology is very sound, but I don't know enough to verify that.

And furthermore, having applied some of his advice to my own life, it did genuinely improve by quite some margin. A lot of his supporters are kinda cringey but I think the dude is genuinely a force for good with the advice he's giving to young men. It's not low-brow self help no matter how much his detractors want to claim it is. But it is a paradigm case of self help, so take it as it is.

Probably its best to swallow your narcissistic dignity, listen to what the dude has to say about looking to your temperament and balancing out your weaknesses, apply it to your own life and see what happens. Your time isn't so precious that you can't afford a few experiments in living.

Also actually read the thinkers he talks about for yourself, and make up your own mind about what they're saying, his readings aren't so much inaccurate as they are simplifications to make them more applicable to the everyday and to make them cohere a little better. Nietzsche was not a Christian who wanted you to sort yourself out, so don't think by watching Peterson you can get any more than a superficial insight into Friedrich's philosophy.

All I ever see is people complain about his fan base. Not his actual fan base.

His lectures are great, it's just his bizarre following and opinions on PoMo that throws people off

The dream of alchemy, the philosopher's stone, is one absolutizing your knowledge of the world, and eliminating the suffering.

The bible warns against such projects. In a way it is the original sin.

Leibniz perfect language was such a project. It was also no coincidence Newton was an alchemist. Modern science was driven by this dream.

Every modern ideology, be it liberalism, communism or fascism, is on of self-salvation.

As a balance we need Christianity to cultivate an openness in our worldview. We can't close ourselves to the transcendent.

Definitely don't watch his lectures. He can't focus on a single topic, he goes on tangents and you never learn what his original point was going to be.

I would assume his book is more focused, but I haven't read it.

Also, what happened to Marie Louise von Franz's "the way of the dream" on youtube? They were great, and they seemed to have disappeared...

Is this a parody of anti-postmodernists who claim that all postmodernists are crypto-communists who try to hide their communism with obscure concepts?

I especially like his superb lecture on how it is racist to notice the overrepresentation of Jews in positions of power and intellectual movements which had a net negative effect on the West.

Is Peterson actually an accelerationist psy-op?

Think about it - he has repeatedly said that his only issue with the trans (((movement))) is that he refuses to use invented pronouns and is against mandated speech.
He has no issue with trans people who simply want to change to the opposite and he even said that he would use their preferred pronouns so long as it was either he or she.

5 years ago this would have been a far-left position, normalizing transexualism.
The ONLY reason they introduced that absurd bill is to get people to accept "normal" transexuals.

>Well, look goys, he just wants to be a she, at least he isn't asking you to call him a wormkin right, now THAT would be crazy.

youtube.com/watch?v=YTEdrZ7uD0Q
I liked them very much also. Looks like someone just uploaded them again. Downloading these just in case

Great! Thank you

>I can manipulate the dumb masses to do what I want, is this your "objective" good? I can make the majority of people literally do whatever I want, good or bad.

Well, actually, no you can't, but I commend you on so openly expressing the hipster power-fantasy delusion that is operating beneath the surface of 95% of Veeky Forums posts.
I work in construction, my boss has had this business in his family for 3 generations. I'd love to see a lisping fag like yourself "manipulate" him, lol. I only bring it up because it's easy to believe in your own magical omnipotence when you're sitting by yourself in a basement fapping. Go interact with real people and see how far you get with this horse shit.

>the arts is a position of power

How did this happen

Cultural hegemony

When electronic media made the infinite repeatability and rapid transmission of images possible.

He certainly said he wants to "accelerate" the diminishing enrollment in what he calls "postmodern-neomarxism-infected fields" of the humanities, in this speech
youtube.com/watch?v=s4c-jOdPTN8

>he said that he would use their preferred pronouns so long as it was either he or she
When did he say this? I recall him refusing to speak in the hypothetical (on the question of "would you call someone XYZ pronoun if they asked you"), and saying only that he would negotiate with any reasonable and respectable person.

Don't advice from 4chins.

The postmodernists were right

He said he wouldn't be compelled to use a pronoun if someone was using it as an act of hostility.
However he has no problem calling a man "she."
Watch his participation on that Canadian talk show he's always on with Theryn Meyer.

Personally I don't care one way or another. A person like Theryn is obviously trying pretty hard. But even openly acknowledging that someone is technically a man and nevertheless agreeing to call them "she" was actually the liberal position 5 years ago.
Now it's apparently the conservative position.
All I'm noticing is that in the face of an absurd overreach on subjective identity, like animalkin, "normal" transexualism has somehow become acceptable in the process.

you have a point, never thought of that

What a non critisicm, born of a perception only twisted reprobates like yourself think is worth a shit.

It's called shit-posting.
It's a vampiric form of aggression.
He posts and pretends to be insufferably stupid. You're forced to read it and drain your energy on it.
Since nature abhors a vacuum, the hole made by his pseudo-stupidity must be balanced, and thus your intellectual energy is expended trying to restore balance, and thus your energy goes to him.

This speaks for itself

I hadn't seen that interview before, that was pretty interesting. That actually clarifies a lot about his position that I wasn't totally familiar with.

I predict that Western society is going to go deeper and deeper into "you can do whatever you want to yourself" territory with little to no resistance, all the way into the absurd, to the very limits of technology. In the name of "freedom" or something like that. I'm legitimately curious to see what will and will not be considered socially acceptable 20 years down the line.

how long till the feds burn down peterson's place of residence

wtf does this nigger do with $62k per month + his wage.

So is what Russia's population considered objectively good subjective, since we don't consider it good?

Or are you just a retard

He uses the Patreon money to rent the building and hire the camera crew for his bible lectures

Go read about behaviorism you dumb fuck

>go read about a discredited psychological theory to support my own argument for me.

huh,
it has really madeded me think.
BTW why don't you just manipulate me into agreeing with you lol? your magic powers don't work like that?

>he thinks manipulation is magic
Sad

Therapy

He's actually pretty good for young white men. When surrounded by a hurricane of anti-intellectual Trap culture, being told their skin color requires guilt, and everyone is generally nihilistic, a man like peterson, no matter how 'mainstream' he is, is tremendous medicine for their collective psyche. Young white men, because of leftist accelerationalism, are in danger of going full Waffen SS and the fact that there is a man who can captivate them who isn't a nazi or overtly bigoted is the best thing we as a society can hope for. He can reason out the emotional insanity provoked by postmodernists and leftists.

>Unironically /ourpseud/
>need him for stability

"Conditioning exists" is a hugely different statement than "I can manipulate anyone to do anything I want."
Are you a hypnosisfag by any chance? Starting to get that vibe.

>I can manipulate anyone to do anything I want
>anyone
>I can manipulate the dumb masses
?
Yes, with enough resources and power you can do that.
America is a good example, look around you nigger

He's not a philosopher

Self-Authoring is delusional. You are not the protagonist of reality. How he can promote individualism while being anti-pomo is one of the biggest self-deceptions I've seen in a 'popular thinker'.

Philosophy is not self-help, his demand for philosophy to have utility is short-sighted. But what else would you expect from a psychologist?

I love that people are shitting on this lad when he is actually objectively correct.