Why do we hate public intellectuals a lot more nowadays?

Is it due to millennials being far more educated than their parents and being able to see through the bullshit of these charlatans when they try to go outside their fields? Especially since we can check all their statements through the internet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No it's typical millennial insecurity and resentment.

Anyone even slightly to the right is slandered in our age because radical revolutionary jews, as our new elite, are middle eastern totalitarians at their core. To be normal and want a normal society makes you a heretic.

>Why do people hate my forced meme reactionary so much, gaiz?

Why would I resent a brainlet (Jordan B Peterson)?

Distractions => No deep thought => No questioning

Well, the leap in "educational achievement" happened already in the 70s in Finland when "ordinary" people went to universities for the first time and the situation has remained somewhat stable since then so my generation (born in the 80s) isn't that better-educated than our parents. And it is the same here; the distrust of authorities and public intellectuals. I think it has more to do with the post-modern age and the post-Cold War uncertainties that ultimately produced the financial crisis which is still going on in Europe.

That's part of it. The other part is that there aren't any public intellectuals around anymore that aren't hacks or explicitly partisan shills.

In Australia we call it "tall poppy syndrome" (i.e. the poppy which stands above the group gets cut down). Most of the time it only applies to smug, unmodest or over-confident people, but I think many feel threatened by intellectuals so try to cut them down especially.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

This is it exactly. People don't like feeling stupid and don't like other people ousting them for being stupid.
Especially now, because every idiot under the sun is allowed to get a higher education, and so they think one of two things. They are actually smarter than the person they're arguing with, despite the fact that they can't actually win or even participate in the argument without screaming and crying. OR, they know they're idiots and are too ashamed to admit it so they attack.

I'm not a social history expert, but I feel like people used to at least respect intelligent people, even if they disliked them.

It's because the Internet exposed them all for hack frauds via a combination of increased exposure and democratized fact checking.

Case and point.

yootoobers and the great levelling project of modernity that allows non-great "men" (eg peterson) to attain significant status and influence.

its basically the internets fault

>and

how is Peterson not great?

How do you know they are more hated now?

Socrates and many others were actually murdered.

>why do we hate public intellectuals a lot more nowadays

Because these intellectuals are being fed to us through new media: YouTube and meme sites like Veeky Forums.

>I feel like people used to at least respect intelligent people
It's funny to me that you think that.

i think a lot of it is due to increased political polarization, leftists feel threatened by conservative intellectuals and seek to discredit them at every turn (and visca versa with conservatives and leftist intellectuals)

They sell themselves for donations and repeat the same tune to please their subscribers. How do I know that they're being earnest when Patreon money is on the line?

"public" intellectuals have always been shit-tier

I'll give you a You, it's okay.

>implying anything mentioned in this thread is new or didn't happen before

Is cus Melianials r so dunb xd

Peterson is literally the Socrates of our time you fucking retard.

>Is it due to millennials being far more educated than their parents
Don't make me laugh

>Is it due to millennials being far more educated than their parents
you know this isn't true. as a 18yo, i can prove you almost no one from this generation has any sort of capability of understanding (also, most get brainwashed by commies, dunno what is so appealing about communism to young people), besides, even if i can already appreciate what culture my family and parents have to teach me, i yet have to read at least half of the books over here, and haven't even watched a tenth of the movies my father would deem as worth watching. which means I am inherently less educated than my parents.

in that a bunch of boys want to have sex with him yea lol

But he actually exists.

Falsr

We are far more educated than our parents were at our age.

Peterson one example of a public intellectual that I actually value. Many political pundits stand out as charlatans and hacks, but Peterson's work on Christianity strikes me as engaging and worthwhile.

Not just his Christianity stuff but his stuff on Sumerian mythology is particularly insightful.

The accessibility afforded by the internet, specifically youtube, has granted these public intellectuals a lot more attention. But with that is a catalogue of mostly ad hoc material that is very easily scrutinized.

I just watched Vegan Gains pretend like he's smarter than Jordan B Peterson and nutritional researchers and so on for about 30 minutes because JBP compared veganism to a religion and talked about the benefits of a low-carb diet. He wasn't wrong on all counts but the video was mostly a bitter attack against JBP because someone he respects doesn't care for veganism.

peterson is youtube e-celeb not a serious guy, but will say i have never seen a vegan male over age 40 who looked healthy, usually i think "holy shit does he have hepatitis?" "no, he's just vegan"