Reading Lu Xun's essays on literature

>Reading Lu Xun's essays on literature
>I'm having actual fun and feelings even when he openly denounces foreigners
Why is it that interwar era literature and writings are so good?
Also general chinese lit thread.

>Also general chinese lit thread.
Yu Hua has some good stuff, bought stories of ah q because Yu Hua was influenced by Lu Xun but haven't got around to reading it.

>general chinese lit thread
Is Mo Yan a good writer?

Republic of Wine is pretty good.
I find it somewhat funny and somewhat disgusting, but the multi-layered plot is pretty good. The character names are often just puns.
If you had to deal with corrupt bureaucracy and communists before, you will feel at home.

>Find copy of Q on online antiquarium for cheap
>See translator names
>Checks sinologists from the era of the books release
>No matches, so it's probably a translation of the german version or a translation of the russian version
"Gay Earth? Fuck it!"
-Confucius

yu hua is ok but not great, he's largely published and distributed in the west cause of the easily politicized "evil commies" themes

jin yong is the zenith of chinese literature

lu xun is breddy good.

I'd live to get into Chinese literature. Is there any good Chinese short fiction?

Mostly traditional tales and sheeit. Outlaws of the March is the most classical collection but in all honesty it's not a great place for foreigners to start. Definitely pick up the Penguin complete fiction of Lu Xun as most of his stories are short, and can either be subtly funny or hit like a fucking gut punch. It's impossible to imagine, Lu Xun lived in the 20th century, at the same time as Joyce and Beckett, but China at that time was literally worlds away. It's just quite incomprehensible to most modern people how different it was, though queue's (braids) were aesthetic af but unfortunately outlawed after the Xinhai Revolution in 1911

Also some guy on here regularly shills this one, and it has generally positive reviews from Westerners, which can go both ways

You could try some Yuan era plays.
Or this , which is pretty good and typical.

bump

Chinese lit threads always end up either
>Hurr durr can't translate hurr
or
>This thread has been archived

cause no one reads jin yong

Because most of lit is a fucking circlejerk of highschool fags.

Is it possible to learn to read Chinese without learning how the characters are supposed to be pronounced?

Is Sun Wukong the absolute madman of Chinese lit?

That seems unnecessarily complicated

not even close, he got cucked by buddhist moralism anyway

well yes that too

It's cause and causation.
They are highschoolfags, so they don't read outside the curriculum and memes.

For whatever reason, Chinese books tend to get translated more quickly than Japanese ones. So there are relatively recent texts available in English. So here's a few contemporary works:

Jia Pingwa, Ruined City
Decoded, Mai Jia

Cixin Liu, Three Body Trilogy

Murong Xuecun, Leave Me Alone

And don't forget Mirage, by Anonymous, translated by Patrick Hanan.

I have no idea why is that.
It's the same thing here. Japanese texts are often poorly translated (Translation made from the German, Russian or English version) or not translated at all.
I thought this was the case because it's an ex-communist country so we must have been rather good friends with them and the Japanese department at the Universities got no funding. But it's still the case almost 30 years later, while Chinese works have newly made, more recent translations, with better notes. The Annalects were just re-released in a newly translated form, while the last (maybe) decently translated Japanese work I can find is a 2013 edition of The Tale of Genji.(Find as in "I know it exists but no one is selling it")
Is Chinese that much easier or what? I would have expected the opposite, with all the appeal Japan has to younger people. Maybe they are translating anime subs and LNs.
I can't really complain as a chinaboo though, it's pretty nice to have something over the smug weebs

WE
WUZ
CHANGZ

You mean QINGZ

Murakami's Men Without Women was available in Spanish almost a year before it came out in English. Strange.

My teacher/librarian always told me, "There is just no market for the translations you are interested in"
But besides that, I think it also depends on how big is the sinology/japonology training in the country.

inb4 muh translation meme, but I cannot believe that people claim to love or understand the Tao Te Ching when they read it in English

china is a dominant world economic power while japan has been on the decline since the 80s, it's no surprise that east asian studies have shifted towards china, and literary translation is just one aspect of it

i read it in spanish
l m a o