top left next to account

You have to buy le Veeky Forums gold bux

muh cast iron after making an omelet

after wiping clean with paper towel

only a mutt would get memed this much

>getting tricked

Where do you create an account? Top left only shows me boards

psst...newfag...you're being trolled

>Veeky Forums told me so, so i don't need to do any further research of any sort
God damn, you're a complete idiot.

Put in a tablespoon or two of canola oil, spread it over the inside of the pan with a balled up kpaper kitchen tissue. Heat the pan until the oil is slightly smoking. As soon as the oil on one part of the pan appears to "dry", wipe over it with your oil soaked kitchen tissue. Keep that up for ten minutes. Fry up a bunch of potatoes and pancakes the first few times you use it. Be aware that the potatoes and maybe the pancakes too will stick to the pan for the first few minutes but will let go all by themselves once a nice crust has formed. Just leave them alone.

Further research would just confirm that frying eggs on a cast iron is perfectly fine if you have a good even coating

Eggs usually stick immediately after entering the pan. If I want ~20s I can slide it around by just tilting the pan.

it sticks like hell at first yeah, but even after like a minute its still stuck. I have to take a thin spatula and carefully unstick it from the pan.

Why not just butter

>not seasoning the handle

>it sticks like hell at first yeah, but even after like a minute it
Eggs are the ultimate test of your seasoning. If it's sticking then it means you need to work on it more.

it's seasoned you faggot. it ain't turnin' black because i don't cook on the handle

How the fuck do you season it if you don't cook it in the iven for an hour?

it's got 3 coats of lard on it just like the rest of the skillet

i don't know what you're looking at but that fucker is seasoned. maybe you're just a faggot

get a non stick scanpan and use it for eggs, I fell for the cast iron meme and regret it. I only use the cast iron for searing meats now and an all clad SS skillet to saute veg and other foods that need to be tossed around in the pan.

Well now the handle looks the same color, must have been the lighting. I apologize

>I apologize
holy shit. someone is civil on 4chin?????
no worries, bro.
pulled this from one of the sheds on my grandparents' property
threw it in a fire
washed it with soap, water, and steel wool
seasoned it
works like a champ
according to handle shape and markings, it's a birmingham stove and range made between 1920s and 1964

WTF?

season dat shit, bruh

>Coconut oil
First off, coconut oil is high in saturated fatty acids, which are less likely to undergo the polymerization reactions that cause seasoning to occur. Ideally you want to use something like flaxseed or hempseed oil for seasoning, as have the highest polyunsaturated fatty acid content. While saturated fats may be better for frying in getting the pan nice and greasey, they don't fill the micrometer sized pits in the pan, at least not permanently.
Also, how hot did you get it while seasoning? Chemical reactions such as that take energy in order to propagate the creation of thermally stable polymers. Make sure you're not just rubbing it down with a coconut oil rag then calling it good. All you've done then is oil up your pan, which is not the same thing as seasoning.

What did I do?
That's actually pretty cool. Wish my family had something like that

it's not that rare you faggots

Have you considered not burning the coconut oil

I don't think there's any need to be so degrading online, sir.

just point out the text where i said it was rare. i'll wait.

don't mistake decency with being a fedoralord, calling other people sir is embarassing, submissive behavior. might as well call me master or daddy
you didn't say it, you implied it.

>coconut oil seasoning
We told you 2 weeks ago coconut oil was fucking garbage for seasoning, I'm glad you listened to me when I said you should be doing 3+ coats, but fuck sake user, get some fucking flax seed oil like we god damn told you.

just point out the text that supports that implication. i can't control what you infer

>holy shit. someone is civil on 4chin?????
this implies surprise

I was genuinely apologizing

Fry onions in it. Just fry a fuckload of onions with a little bit of oil then gently wipe the plan out with a dry rag and put it in the oven.

Now you have a seasoned pan and delicious onions to add to whatever.

Most people here are complete dicks to each other, which makes your moment of humility and politeness a rare thing indeed. Keep it up user.

kys faggot

>replying to a shitposting with scientifically sound arguments
bro relax it's 4chins

Your pan wasn't at the right temp, you didn't cover the base with enough oil, or you tried to move the egg too soon.

Seasoning it doesn't make it the same as Teflon dude, you still have to put a little oil or something in there when cooking.

Butter burns at a lower temp than oil. This is good for basting a steak nearing the end of cooking, but for something like eggs you don't want the butter to burn. That's why its best to use some vegetable oil as well as butter.

don't do this is causes chlorine gas

That doesn't increase the smoke point of the butter as you may have heard. All he's doing is cooking an egg anyway, it shouldn't be on there long enough to burn the butter.

How the fuck do people get this wrong all the fucking time.

It's going to be less of a problem of seasoning and more you somehow can't fry an egg. Fry the fucking egg in hot oil so it cooks fast and don't touch it too early. It will soon slide freely and have a nice golden layer underside.

Always cook in hot oil.

This.

Beef lard is the objective best way to fry anything, try it and thank me later.

fuck oil, i use butter or Ghee.

This. Hell, even shortening is better than coconut oil.

Seriously, Veeky Forums is where you go to troll faggots when you already have the correct answer, not to actually learn anything useful.

some people think HIGH is the only temperature on the oven ironically

Chlorine gas alert.

I can't even tell who is trolling who anymore.

When seasoning cast iron the WHOLE point is to go beyond the smoking temp of your oil in order to polymerize the poly saturated fats to the surface of your pan.

>meme

yeah all you have to do is click the post number and it'll go to their account

Hi. I recently aquired a cast iron, what is this about seasoning?
Like cajun seasoning before you cook?
Be gentile

Yeah, you season the pan with whatever seasonings you want to cook with in that pan. As a word of warning though, once you season it, everything you put in that pan is gonna taste like that. It is just a dumb meme way of saving yourself the trouble of seasoning things you cook in that pan.

>rapeseed oil
Get the fuck out.

>pulled this from one of the sheds on my grandparents' property
>according to handle shape and markings,
>it's a birmingham stove and range
>made between 1920s and 1964

Stop worrying about dumb shit like "bake for XX with XX oil at XX degrees XX times." Literally just fucking cook with it using more oil than usual. Cook bacon a lot. As you use it, it will naturally build up a seasoning. Stop being autistic or buy a Le Creuset.

>not doing one good seasoning with just oil before cooking with it
But why?

Coconut oil jumps too much though when heated. I do make scrambled eggs with it though. It works perfect for scrambled eggs.

There's nothing wrong with doing one or two, I'm talking more about the overall general attitude regarding Cast Iron. That it is some highly sensitive thing that needs to be pampered as opposed to a dense, solid piece of metal.

>have to reapply oil 10 times and heat it 10 times for 10 hours EVERY TIME YOU USE IT
Why the fuck do people use cast iron pans?

Poverty, ignorance, and "it's old, annoying, and pointlessly limited so it must be good" (see also: linuxfags on /g/, fixiefags on /n/)

Because none of what you said is true. I don't use cast iron it's shit compared to what else is available today, but even I'm not autistic enough to not see how it could be useful.

Notice your pan be black

B L A C K
L
A
C
K

It's black and it doesn't work, black pan wants free oil otherwise it will fuck your shit up, be nice to black pan, black pans matter.

I bought a cast iron skillet for $12 from walmarts camping section and turns out it's real cast iron

fresh coats of coconut oil seasoning
Dats yer problem. I use peanut oil, or cornoil for best results. Takes several runs. good luck an godspeed oily user.

And you have to reapply the oil after every use, preferably with some baking involved

>3 fresh coats of coconut oil seasoning
>fry egg
>it sticks like glue

Use it for meat for a while to get several extra layers of seasoning burned in. The first three coats make it ready for meat, heavy recurrent use with oil makes it ready for eggs.

Just save time and buy a non-stick pan for eggs, only a fucking jobless failure has time to spend "seasoning" a cast iron pan to fry a few eggs on.

I have a cast iron and I seasoned it correctly and it cooks stuff pretty well, but the biggest problem I have is an uneven glass surface stove top and the oil and juices always pool to the lower corner of the pan and it's a bitch to cook with because the dry spots dry out really quickly

I have this same issue because I'm too lazy to level out the feet of my stove, so I just regularly rotate the pan so the oil has to travel across it

it's idiotic but it works

Anybody here collect vintage pieces? What are some good brands to keep an eye out for?
Wagner, Lodge, Griswold, Wapak- any others?

youtu.be/p_LfcDPJ83A

How the fuck is this possible? There is no way in hell i would be able to do this in my pan.

Does a smooth vs rough surface do this much of a difference?

I have a 90 year old cast iron that I just cleaned up and seasoned with bacon fat. I just heated it up, coated it with the glorious fat, and let it cook and smoke a little on the stove.

I always put a a coat of bacon fat in the pan before I cook anything. Nothing ever sticks. If I don't use bacon fat I'll use butter.

Griswolds (large logo, slant logo) and Wapaks in general tend to be the more valuable

Old lodge, Wagners, BSR are all the most common thus you can find them cheaper (if buying from reseller) despite being less valuable they are excellent daily users

Keep an eye out for warping and cracks, if you find something gunked up don't pay a premium just because you can barely make out Griswold. Recently got a #8 large block that was semi gunked (mostly on cooking and underside) after a week in easy-off and a wash I discovered that it has two intersecting hairline cracks on the cook area.

>seasons the handle
>doesn't use it to warm his hotdog buns

You just changed my life

use rape seed oil, trust me

Sexy.
How old is that pan? From the the machining, it looks like it is from the 70s.

Well that explains a lot of my initial struggles with cast iron, and why it seemed to get better when I switched to canola oil for seasoning my skillet. Probably gonna switch to peanut based on , seems like a good ratio of poly-saturated fats to cost.