Alright fol/ck/s, I want a way to make some nice steamed buns, and the ability to steam food in general...

Alright fol/ck/s, I want a way to make some nice steamed buns, and the ability to steam food in general, without splurging on a big stupid kitchen appliance or spending half my month's pay to ship some bamboo baskets internationally. I live in a post-iron curtain country, so I don't have access to most overly fancy tools or specialized cooking implements.

The best solution I've found so far was to get three balls of aluminium foil, put them in the boiling water, then place a plate on top of that and use it as a steaming rig. Do you have anything better?

Water bath in the oven.

Wouldn't that be less of a steaming and more of a moist baking?

Depends on the volume.

Right, so how loud should it be for optimal result?

I just use a metal collinder over a pot for my steamed veggies.

See, that'd be fine if it's for broccoli or whatever, but I want to prevent my buns from touching.

Put a dick between them.

Right. Thats why i specified veggies. You did ask for steaming in general.
Maybe one of these would work for buns? How big are the buns?
Also you can easily find stovetop steaming cookware at goodwill.

Of course the stainer would have to be shorter that the pot to give you more water room.

>paper towel
>run under tap
>wring out water
>wrap bun in moist paper towel
>microwave 15-20 seconds

wa la steamed bun

>goodwill
Did you even read the first post?

Anyway, I'm sure it'd be great if I could find a pot like that, but as I've said, living in a poor-ass shithole means stuff like that is hard to find. I'm lookin for a more ghetto solution here.

Unfortunately, the only paper towels you can get around here wouldn't survive the wringing without disintegrating. Interesting concept, though.

you don't even have the brown kind?

Nope. Again, second-and-a-half world, here.

also you could probably just use a piece of fabric.. just make sure it's natural like cotton

Hrm... alright, I'll give that one some thought.

I assume the fabric would survive the process?

yeah
you could always test it without a bun first if you're worried about wasting a bun

you line with parchment paper. A colander should work fine.

Sorry, i missed that part. What do you have to work with?

Just hang them above the cooling towers, Tovarich.

Get a cooling rack and cut it to fit your pot?

If there's an asian market near you just buy babmoo steamers. They're like $1-2 max.