Is ground beef that's red outside, but grey inside safe to eat...

Is ground beef that's red outside, but grey inside safe to eat? I read online that it's due to myoglobin being exposed to oxygen turning the colour red, but I'm not sure if it's bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/burger-v-steak-full-infographic-final-pdf.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was microwaved, they do this to kill off putting smells.

have you actually never seen this

did you just move out on your own and buy groceries the first time?
are you actually retarded

well it's OP were talking about

wtf
mine does the opposite

Dumbasses must have baked it.

Not OP but I've been buying ground meat for a long time but never seen it doing shit like this. For all I've experienced what is saying.

This happen when you try cooking meat on Opposite Day. You need to be real fucking careful from now on. Mark that shit on your calendar.

You're good OP, that's just what we in the industry call "rare".

As long as you heat it at a high temp thoroughly through it'll be fine.

>Not common
>Don't worry
I wouldn't trust him

Isn't it staying pink or red all the fucking time a symbol of mixing in a nitrite? Whereas it only being pink outside means gas treatment?

Wtf where did you buy that. In 30 years of cooking I have not seen something like this.

Quite literally “reverse searing”.

just throw that out or return to shop. I would't eat that or serve to anyone.

Seems more like they added some fresh meat around an old slab of oxidized ground beef to make it look fresh in the shops.

There's a few tricks that are done to keep meat pink, like exposing it to carbon monoxide. Consumers associate a bright pink color with freshness.

I once had a pound of ground beef that turned from pink to brown, then back to pink eventually.
How long have you had it? Does it smell off?

No, that's not safe.

Steaks aren't ground up, and the bacteria on the surface of a steak is destroyed by searing said surface.

Ground meat is ground up, mixing any bacteria into the minced product. Hence it must be thoroughly cooked, inside and out.

Here's a PDF from my lovely authoritarian government on the dangers:
food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/burger-v-steak-full-infographic-final-pdf.pdf

>Steaks aren't ground up
>gov.uk
Someone really needs to fix your country.

Its a marketing trick, these two are right. The outside is sprayed with shit that keeps it over pink and attractive.

You can eat raw ground beef etc. in USA. Some fucking hillbillies around me eat it frozen.

>sushi for 100 Alex

Its the shit living conditions and processing in shit tier farms and butcheries that led to those regulations, you stupid shit.

the red color is gone because the meat was frozen, breaking the cell walls and causing the red protein(I forget what it's called, it's not hemoglobin it's the other red protein) to leak out. But since it's kept in the packaging, even as ice forms and forces out the proteins, all it can do is force it to the surface which is why the outside stays pink.
It's perfectly safe to eat but the texture won't be ideal, all the liquid will cook out of it instantly and it'll boil in its own juices

I see this all the time and they claim the meat is fresh ground daily

Myoglobin if I remember right. I'm a little tanked, but it's the red pigment that makes retards think things are undercooked.

The ultimate tool to determine if something is edible is always your nose.

Meats in supermarkets are only red because they're dyed red so people will think it's fresh and buy them. Meat is actually brown pretty quickly after the animal dies.

Check ground beef by smell, or if it's been in the fridge for too many days just toss it.