We've entered a new era. Fuck the Greeks. Start with the Anglos

We've entered a new era. Fuck the Greeks. Start with the Anglos.

>pilgrims progress
>no faerie queene

kys

That book was only read by an elite coterie and not the masses unlike these books.

Where the fuck is Chaucer? Replace him with the Bible (pleb's Torrah)

>not realizing this is obviously modern English only

go back to r/books newfag

Not part of the early modern period therefore inessential.

I will acknowledge that Edmund Spenser was a far greater poetic influence than Shakespeare, however, when I made this list, I was thinking more about what the people at large first read in the British Empire and America. While Spenser had an innovative talent, the Faerie Queene hasn't really entered our lexicon and cultural mythology the way the books I posted have...... in my opinion.

i would rank it above pilgrim's progress, which has largely fallen out of favor in the past 100 - 200 years. i'd wager almost no one reads it today, certainly less than the paltry few who read faerie queene

Still definitely worth a read. Obviously the thread image is a meme but if someone makes a chart, it should certainly be featured.

The real starting pack nowadays is Descartes - Hume - Kant - Hegel.

we have no standards left

>(pleb's Torrah)
this is how I know you're just a wannabe and you forever will be

>started reading Greek philosophy a couple weeks ago
>Read through Barnes introduction and Pythagoras and Heraclitus
>couldn't read more than 30 pages a day
>started dreading reading because I disliked it so much
>no problem at all with any literary fiction
>mfw

Am I too dumb for philosophy? All I wanted is to have a bit more knowledge and read the Summa.

"Start with the Greeks" is obviously a meme, but I think Paradise Lost would be tough going without some sort of grounding in the classics.

> the Bible
> Anglo
> implying Jesus wasn't black

>reading the worthless literature of a race of cucks
Maybe in your dreams, *nglo

Reading the Summa for Dante?
This.

St. Thomas Summa, I was told he relied a lot on Aristotle.

Sounds like you're forcing yourself to read shit you don't care about. Go read some introductory book about Aquinas since that's what you're interested in. I haven't read it, but you might find useful something like "A Summa of the Summa" by Peter Kreeft.

doubly inspiration, bitch

Most of the original works are a tiresome read. Especially Aristotle. For one, because we have learned them by proxy through more advanced education we have in West and through media and culture.

Also goes without saying that Plato and Aristotle are outdated.

Plato is not outdated

Modern english is indebted to Chaucer you fuck

The Eternal Anglo Propaganda never stops, I see

Good choice, although lets make it
Descartes - Hume - Kant - Frege - Wittgenstein

Hegel is for later on (not saying he's any better or more important, I actually prefer Kant and Wittgenstein, he just require a firm bacground).

Frege and Wittgenstein weren't in my opinion as hugely influential and relevant for the world as Hegel was.. important for philosophy of course and Wittgenstein is one of my favorites but I wouldn't recommend people to start with him or Frege.

Brace yourselves, anons. I'm about to reveal the one true list...

Complete Works (Shakespeare)
Don Quixote (Cervantes)
Faust (Goethe)
Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)

I know everyone is discussing philosophy but is paradise lost worth my time? Only other epic poem I've read is Endymion.