Be absolutely honest Veeky Forums, are you pretentious?

Be absolutely honest Veeky Forums, are you pretentious?

Not overtly.

Yes, and its a good thing

Of course you silly goose

duh

My words bear the weight of a thousand suns.

Depends on the context tbqh. I bet I can appear pretentious around people who don't share my interests, but around people who do, I'm just talking.

>tfw someone asks what music I've been listening to lately and I have to sit there for like 30 seconds trying to think of - not just an artist they might recognize - a normal artist that is even analogous to what I'm actually listening to

At least people have heard of most good books, so it isn't hard to say "I read Anna Karenina"

Jaded and well informed, thanks to the internet and a fucked up childhood that resulted in drug abuse..... But hey, not like 99% of humans on earth should understand what it is like to loose your fucking mind anymore, huh?

Entheogens are what humanity needs, liberty will follow.

I sometimes feel pretentious around my friends, but I think that's just because they're all ultra-plebs when it comes to literature.

no, i am a very sincere man

A pretentious person would never admit he or she is pretentious. Possessing the self-awareness required to realize one is (or comes off as) pretentious is a demonstration that one is not (or is no longer) pretentious.

Same here, except that they are ultra-pleb about music, tv, and films aswell, which I guess, to them, makes me sound pretentious about everything

not only am i a pretentious pseud, i constantly shit-talk other pretentious pseuds.
and I can't even back up my pretentiousness with the difficulty, amount or depth of books I read
i'm just a garbage human being overall. if you saw me in public, you'd want to punch me in the face and I couldn't even blame you

I am smart, but I also want to look smart. So yeah, probably. It usually comes off as me seeming like a smart guy who thinks he's smarter than he is.

Yeah. But I also have a good heart.

you are interesting as fuck. tell me a bit about yourself

you sound pretentious desu senpai

nothing interesting about me, just over-compensating due to teenage insecurity (I'm 19), like alot of people my age.
some become the shy-type while I became an obnoxious douchebag that had to express his dissatisfaction anytime he encountered it.
I don't know much about Dunning-Krueger, but I think that may also have something to do with it.
Anyway, I'm sure there are people like me here, and I advise them to drop it right now. It will alienate everyone you conversate with, and the only people you'll make friends with will either be too stupid to realise they can do better than some psychologically-abusive asshole, or they'll be human vomit like you.

do you got a muscular build? on your body? describe yourself physically without getting into too much detail

im asking cus you sayed that shit about douchebag

iktf but I'm not sure about what were you trying to convey with this post

No, but I'm a huge snob.

his power level

why dont you say drugs instead of enthoegens? weirdo

Yes, but only ironically.

overweight, but with an alright amount of muscle
when I say "douchebag", I don't mean "jock bully"
I'm not that intimidating, just obnoxious

Almost literally me but, if I'm allowed to be fair with myself, I think I'm not as much of an asshole as you, mainly because I started treating my mental illness desu
Good luck

Do you have anything to justify your pretentiousness?

>Niles: Are you saying I'm pretentious?!

>Daphne: You'd eat a worm if it had a French name!

Who was in the wrong here?

The fact that I'm really not pretentius and know how limited I actually am, the problem is that everyone are literally turbo plebs, and is not really their fault, is the shitty education system
I just avoid talking about anything 90% of the time

>mental illness
what mental illness is it? maybe I have it too?

Bipolar

fuck

>But hey, not like 99% of humans on earth should understand what it is like to loose your fucking mind anymore, huh?
the human race needs more of this

A little. If you watch Game of Thrones, I automatically think I'm above you. I never tell anyone though.

Is not that bad if you stick with the treatment
Of course you will not a lot of times because of some delusional reason to stop taking the pills or whatever
Or you may have nothing and you are just extreamly full of hatred and into a pathern of thought that makes impossible to see beyond your resentful ass, lsd/shrooms ego death can help with that

>A pretentious person would never admit he or she is pretentious

Horseshit

>Is not that bad if you stick with the treatment
>Of course you will not a lot of times because of some delusional reason to stop taking the pills or whatever
my fiance drives me up the wall with this shit.
"i can't take it, the pill will get stuck in my throat and burn a hole in my esophagus."
or
"doctors are just pill farmers, they don't want to treat my illness, just hook me on their drugs to make money."
And I'm just like, honey please take your medicine and stop breaking coffee cups

But what happens if pinnochio says "my nose is growing"?

no, but if you possess one iota of culture 99% of people will think that you're pretentious

It seems like your gf is truly cray cray
I have went a few time through the second one tho.
I would never date someone with this illness, lol

she's right about doctors not giving a shit and just prescribing things because it's easy, but there's really no other reliable way to deal with it
i would advise to take pills only when everything else stops working. don't give schlomo your shekels

pretentious is a stupid gaylord insult used by dum dums that reallt just says "it made me feel like blockhead".

Bipolar guy here
Pills dont even work if you are not in a trully shitty state. And, yeah, some docs just go and give SSRI to people who are barely "sad" or in baby's first existential crisis. But stop with the "muh" jews autism. Also you don't shit about meds and how they work for different mental problems. Basically, just kill yourself

there's some truth to this.
it's no coincidence that all books that teach about charisma say that in order to be charming you should make others feel smart instead of only appearing smart yourself

>Most people haven't heard of Beethoven

>it's no coincidence that all books that teach about charisma say that in order to be charming you should make others feel smart instead of only appearing smart yourself
What does that have to do with pretension?

Not the guy you replied to but pretentiousness is not charming

pretensiousness is exagerating your intelligence, and this naturally belittles the intelligence of others.
and that ain't charismatic

This. Not really enjoying Marvel movies or Netflix makes you seem pretentious even if you don't make a big deal about it when the conversation comes up. It's like not going out of your way to talk about them is automatically pretentious. It's absolute bullshit.

Being pretensions doesn't mean you have to be a 10/10 asshole and depending on what you are being pretentious about it could certainly be charming to someone. If someone has pretensions so they can get along better with you then they are literally trying to be charming.

It's not about intelligence alone. It's about inflating anything to do with yourself and it does not necessarily require belittling anyone. Imagine someone trying to exaggerate their intelligence because they are trying to get along with someone smart who they really like.

The thing is that by just not being a dumbass some (a lot of) people will think you are exagerating your intelligence
Or by just openly talk about using your free time in something that is not regular entertainment
So just dont talk about anything with anyone, is pointless

I have never once encountered this sort of attitude in real life, not from my years or school or through my jobs. I've met people who are taken back by the fact I don't watch Game of Thrones for example but that is not the same thing as thinking you are pretentious.

>It's not about intelligence alone. It's about inflating anything to do with yourself and it does not necessarily require belittling anyone. Imagine someone trying to exaggerate their intelligence because they are trying to get along with someone smart who they really like.
I don't see that as pretentious, I just see that as dumb.

Maybe I was exaggerating a little. Personally I don't always know what to do when people get into a conversation about Game of Thrones or popular stuff like that. If there's room I'll ask questions but there's usually a voice in the back of my head thinking, man that is so not my cup of tea. I went to the cinema once to watch Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and I'd never even heard of it before. I asked the brother of the girl I went with if he'd seen the first film and he was like, 'Of course, I have' in a way that sounded exasperated that somebody hasn't. Still, I try and that's the main thing I'm sure.

I actually think one of the unsung things about our generation is how much more pressure there is to fit in. I'm sure a lot of the success of things like Game of Thrones and Rick and Morty comes down to people wanting to be like everyone else. In the digital world that can escalate very quickly indeed.

And my point there is that to some people you can seem automatically pretentious when your interests diverge from what's readily accepted as the norm. If you never talk about Game of Thrones but once in a blue moon discuss your interest in Wes Montgomery people will leave with the impression that you're trying too hard. The trick is obviously just to find like-minded people who realise that level of thinking is absurd.

It fits the definition of pretentious exactly.
pretentious
adjective: pretentious

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

It sounds more like you are neurotic rather than people thinking you are pretensions.

>I actually think one of the unsung things about our generation is how much more pressure there is to fit in.
That's not a modern thing, that's just how humans work.

Neurotic is even more of a buzzword than pretentious
But yeah I feel the same as that user and I'm the mentally ill poster

Someone, somewhere thinking you are pretensions for not like Marvel movies is not the same thing as "if you possess one iota of culture 99% of people will think that you're pretentious" which is the quote that started this whole chain. Very, very few people would give even the slightest shit that you don't like something popular and like less or unpopular things. You are not anywhere near as important to other people asides from close friends and family as you think you are.

This
I get that you guys can get paranoid about this dumb shit but try to remember what this user is saying, and that "normies" and "pleb/patrician" are literal memes from an amazonian monkey-roleplaying-chaman ceremony board created by mentally ill NEETs to get a laff

>It sounds more like you are neurotic rather than people thinking you are pretensions.

Fair comment. I just don't like how much hard-work it is trying to have conversations about stuff that people don't know about. Call that insecurity if you want. If I do there's usually a lot of me talking and a lot of silence on the other end. Not really a good conversation to have at all.

The last girl I dated said she hated me doing that as she thought I was belittling her, which obviously I wasn't. It's made me a bit wary and I'm probably more insecure because of it.

i feel i need to get more pretentious to protect myself. i always was generous with what i like and what i know, always ready to listen to someone who is interested in something and care to share; maybe i will get on board their views, values, maybe not and all is fine. its a way to create culture , the way i see it. That said i really hate it when my interlocutor don't return me the same courtesy : barely illiterate machomen will notice that when he is talking to you about his life, what he does , what he thinks is the best actions and so on and you don't try to cut him off to ridicule him, crush him, antagonize him to prove you are better then he will try to puff up gradually up to the point where he will straight up antagonize you and be insulting. "you don't belong here" "i own this land and my lifestyle is the only one of any worth".

there is a culture war going on and its time to get pretentious, just fucking detonate the nukes on those anti-culture anti intellectual barely literate fucking asshole hicks fuuuuuuuuuuuu

actually i think i will just avoid them and work on my projects. hopefully i will help to build a proper culture that will fucking starve them off.

I can just about tone it down in public.

I'm a tradesman for whom outside of my profession have pretty much nothing in common with the hundreds of people I interact with yearly but we get along great. Being friendly and getting along with people has little to do with common interests. Sure for actual friends you need something in common whether that be interests, similar or complementing personalities etc but you don't need that for acquaintances and randoms. It sounds like you are really socially awkward.

>I just don't like how much hard-work it is trying to have conversations about stuff that people don't know about.
Don't. Don't tell people about shit they aren't interested in. It's not difficult talking to people with no interests similar to you. It should be obvious if someone actually wants to hear about something you like that they know nothing about. Then and only then do you talk about that sort of stuff.

That's not how pretension works. Being pretentious is making yourself appear superior to other people. Pretension is about deception. If you hide it you aren't trying to deceive anyone and so can't be pretentious.

What do you talk about? Problem is I don't know ANYTHING that's outside of my field of interest. Not even the most popular movies, or singers.

Learn it then. It's a few hours work, for goodness sake.

Everyone is pretentious. Lit is just not faking that they're not.

This is frequently true.

It's the crabs in a bucket mentality, "If I can't be smart I'm gonna make sure you feel bad about it!"

I know people who were smart in school but because of this attitude from their peers they did nothing with their intelligence because hey at least they are a "chill guy", who doesn't try too hard or some stupid shit.

Challenging yourself is good for you and broadens your mind in the long run. Apathy is like death and should be avoided at all costs.

Getting on with someone isn't really something that can be taught, especially through text. I used to be a little awkward when I was a teenager then in three months of working at a busy cafe I got really good at making a fun enjoyable conversation where the other person would laugh or smile that would last only 20 seconds. It's not about the topics, it's about the attitude.
A good way to practice is that whenever you go and buy anything from any store do your best to strike up a conversation with the person at the till that goes beyond the usual been busy and nice weather out there shit. Starting with a compliment usually works. Within a couple of seconds of looking at someone you will often notice something that's different. They might have a necklace on, or weird shoes, they might have an accent etc. Complimenting them on it give you an instant topic to talk about. But really it's just something you have to do and do a lot before it really starts to click. You will feel really awkward at first but it goes away when you get used to striking up conversations with people you don't know. Just remember if it goes badly it doesn't matter, that person a the supermarket isn't going to remember you. There are no consequences for failing.

I guess. I like to be seen by other people as being smart or "cultured." Though I wouldn't express this in conversation, I often do think of myself as superior to other people for liking more highbrow art, literature, etc. Still, I'm quite socially anxious and have a fear of being disliked or ridiculed, so I try not to say anything that would lead others to believe I'm pretentious. But often I get nervous and it becomes difficult to find things to talk about with people who don't share my same interests.

Much appreciated. If you got anything more or would like to go in detail, I'm all ears.

Different things work for different people. You need to find what works best for you. I find that the ability to pick up instant fun conversations also is really good for friendships and relationships. Going back to what you were saying about your girlfriend, most of the conversations you spend with people who you interact with a lot aren't really about anything important. Most of the time it's more about just having fun. Your gf (and for the most part your friends as well) probably most of the time doesn't really care what you guys are talking about, she just wants to have fun with you, the conversation is a means to that end. If you can make strangers have a good time in 20 seconds when you know nothing about them it gives you the skills to be able to say or do something that would make your partner smile.

It's difficult to not appear pretentious nowadays when discussing anything. I mentioned Guernica is a conversation with some people and when they all just looked at me confused I couldn't hold in my level of shock of not knowing something so damn basic. They probably all hate me. I got ostracized for getting angry at a friend for not knowing the capital of Iraq, aside from it being historically important for over a thousand years we literally invaded the fucking country in our lifetime. I live in the Bay Area and attend a UC around here, I would have expected this knowledge to be normal around here. The only person I can show my power level without being pretentious is with my brother, hes not into all that stuff but is a social genius, we learn from each other because we know each others strengths and weaknesses

typing on phone

>I couldn't hold in my level of shock of not knowing something so damn basic
>I got ostracized for getting angry at a friend for not knowing the capital of Iraq
>It's difficult to not appear pretentious nowadays
Mentioning things that people don't know doesn't make you look pretentious, you acting like an asshole about it does.

Is he supposed to be loving and caring when a grown ass man cant even figure out shit that wouldn't even be acceptable for a schoolchild to not know? This isn't even 'cultured' knowledge, this is basic information about the world around you. We should be acting like assholes to these people so discourage the acceptance of such ignorance, it's pathetic. And he says he goes to a UC, these are kids attending university not a dirt poor third worlder who doesn't know how to read

Then don't complain about how hard it is to not appear pretentious then.

>Is he supposed to be loving and caring when a grown ass man cant even figure out shit that wouldn't even be acceptable for a schoolchild to not know
So not being an asshole is loving and caring? That's not how human interactions work.

>We should be acting like assholes to these people so discourage the acceptance of such ignorance, it's pathetic
Except it doesn't accomplish that at all. Being so confrontational closes them off from you. So you aren't even accomplishing anything. You are just being a dick.

Being pretentious is looking down at others for not participating in some kind of 'high culture' not being angry at college students not knowing the capital of a country your own country went to war with for 10+ years while you were alive in the 21st century.

I have a phd and am a docent at a uni. I don't know what the capital of fucking Iraq is, and even if you told me I wouldn't remember it. You're pretentious because you assume people must care about the same things you care about.

You are being a dick if you wish for everyone around you to hold their tongue on your blatant ignorance. It's like walking into a conversation with your dick out and getting angry at people telling you to pull your pants up. It's so damn retarded you start to hinder other people's enjoyment. You know how its kind of awkward interacting with mentally disabled people? Now imagine having to do that with someone attending university with a perfectly healthy brain

>Being pretentious is looking down at others for not participating in some kind of 'high culture'
That is not the definition of pretentious. That is the definition of pretentious.

Anyway it doesn't matter because we are talking about perceived pretension. Acting like a huge dick because someone doesn't know something makes you look pretentious regardless of weather or not you are. And if you feel like you want to act like a dick when someone doesn't know one of these basic bits of information you should not also get to complain about how hard it is to not look pretentious when you are doing it to yourself.

>I don't know what the capital of fucking Iraq is, and even if you told me I wouldn't remember it

Then you are an idiot, plain and simple

>You're pretentious because you assume people must care about the same things you care about.

Care about the same things? Our country fucking went to war in the city for 10 years, are you kidding me? 90% of all geopolitical problems occuring in the world stems from it, fuck off

Where do we draw the line? How far down the rabbit hole must our 'acceptance' of peoples willful ignorance go?

Yes, but I'm self-aware and have a sense of humour about it

>being a spastic instead of an educator
Loser.

>Our country fucking went to war in the city for 10 years
>You must be American
God you are so fucking stupid. I can't even get over how dumb you must be to assume that someone is American for no reason. Fuck off and die.
There we go, I did what you wanted. I was a huge dick to a really stupid person just like you wanted me to be.

>Where do we draw the line?
As I said before acting like a dick doesn't change anything so you are just acting like a dick for the sake of it.

I think so, but we're not nearly as bad as /r/books. Those fucking lilliputians just jerk each other off about the sam list of like 10 books, (Count of Monte Cristo anyone?) and the rest is just circlejerking about how smart and cultured they are for being literate. And sure, we do that too, but at least we actually discuss books sometimes.

Gaylord is an Anglo-Norman given name from the Old French "Gaillard" meaning "Gay Lord"

Yea let me educate every idiot(ATTENDING UNIVERSITY) in the world what 1+1 is and how to find the USA on a map, I'm such a terrible person for not wanting to subject myself to that. Go ahead and do it yourself user, nobody's stopping you

A lot of drugs do not generate the divine within.

Where are you from user?

>Our country fucking went to war
Not my country, and even if it was my country I still wouldn't care about it. It's in no way connected to my hobbies, my field or my research. I cannot benefit from knowing about it, and I don't particularly feel joy from talking about it either.

>90% of all geopolitical problems occuring in the world stems from it
I don't care about any of that either. Grow up and realize that you're in charge of what you find important and that different people with different histories will have different reasoning for their value system.

That's fine, just don't get angry when people don't take you seriously

>my hyperbole justifies my faggotry
No, you don't have to educate everyone. But it's very easy to explain simple details in the midst of coversation. But what would you know? You presently lack any conversational ability and opt to scorn rather than foster awareness. In a way you might even enjoy lording your perceived highness over people.

Tell me about your mother

It's not about educating or not, it's possessing the basic knowledge needed for having any conversation deeper than "Hi, how are you". If you dont have it, I'm not gonna waste my time. These common idiots are open to you user, there's millions of them just waiting for you to stop at every sentence to go on a tangent about something you would be surprised a 10 year old doesn't know. Knock youself out