/sffg/ — Maps Edition

GRRM JUST MAGNIFIED ENGLAND AND TURNED EUROPE SIDEWAYS edition

What are the best and worst worldbuilding maps you've ever seen in an SF/F book?

Which setting has the best/most original/least cringy fictional place-names?

>/SFFG/ Recommendations:
FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Canned harder than Can-D:

>be kelmomas
>be the worst character 4 books running
>have the most unbearable PoVs
>end the world, get everyone killed

Really fitting, when you think about it.

which Bakker book has the most/most graphic gay sex? Does it just gradually increase with each book chronologically, or does it spike in specific books?

It spikes

TTT has probably the most of it in the original trilogy, then either TGO or TUC in the second one.

You just need to change the flavour text on the dead breads next time. Unless the mods ban generals on Veeky Forums.

Where is the fuckup? Everything in the OP seems normal.

Probably the flavour text

it just says "/sffg/" I left out "Science Fiction and Fantasy General" of the title

Ya didn't fug up anything except for forgetting to change my Can-D autism reference to something else.

Most general titles are frequently changed for the laughs, it's only the first part that matters because that's what people use to filter out or filter in threads.

>my Can-D autism reference

lel, I didn't know what that was so I thought I better not mess with it

Is it wrong that I see nothing wrong with Clichea? Breaking tropes for the sake of it gets on my nerves.

>"And you doubtless wish to be taken to our leader?"
I love this meme. Even Zelazny loves it.

>Raised a little knife, no bigger than a cat’s tongue.
As though to touch the Nail of Heaven.
A Wathi Doll, stolen from a dead Sansori witch …
Someone had spoken its name.

Ohhhhh sheeeeeeeeit

Perdido Street Station has good setting & races

Are Andrezj Sapkowski's Witcher books worth a read? I haven't played the games but people always wax lyrical about the story in them, so I figured I might give the books a look in.

Video game stories are held to lower standards.

Mostly because video game stories tend to be of lower quality and the fact that gameplay integration with the story tends to elevates the perceived quality.

Play the games, leave the books.
Unless you have literally nothing else to read.

Serious question here. You guys whine all the time about originality in fantasy and make fun of GRRM's planetos for having silly names. But what is more important, having names that make sense but are not original or having unique names that are just random syllabes that don't mean anything? If a forest is gloomy, why call it 'Irryrakh Forest' and not simply 'Gloomy Forest'? It would make sense for the local population to just call a place what it looks like. If you look at the real world there are several places with redundant names like "blue sea", "high hills", "green fields" and so on, that you guys would scorn if you saw them in a fantasy map.

Random syllable names are retarded too, nobody disagrees. Who are you arguing with?

>Irryrakh
Probably that word just means "Gloomy" in another language. There are a lot of English place names like that, being Norse or Celtic or Roman or whatever. So it depends if you want to make things sound realistic, or evoke certain imagery, or if you just want to be clear

>GRRM JUST MAGNIFIED ENGLAND AND TURNED EUROPE SIDEWAYS
Literally nothing wrong with that.

what's the best bronze age-style fantasy
think glorantha

As shitty as the books are and GRRM is himself, his world is actually okay.

why didnt the wights just take a boat to the deepwood

Is this chart recent? I ask because some of the additions are a little strange, and I'm wondering if people still use it or if it's been replaced. I really wouldn't consider The War of the Worlds or Roadside Picnic as post-apocalyptic. Sure, things get pretty dire in The War of the Worlds, and Roadside Picnic has the whole "sci-fi wasteland" but the world doesn't really end in either.

I don't think that anybody anywhere likes made up names that don't mean anything.

Nobody uses the charts

Names needn't be original or make sense but giving the reader a chance at pronunciation is advisable. Don't use Klingon phonology for the sake of differentiating yourself from other authors.

Not the main series, but the short story collections are pretty good. Honestly Spakowski fucked up by trying to write it as a fantasy epic, the charm of it was Geralt encountering magic shit, solving problems and having relationship issues.

user here. I made that chart in 10 minutes for a thread several months ago.

Use it or use it not, t's not of the essence. If you're interested in post-apoc and think there are better books to enter the subject, be my guest and make your own.

Nobody really uses the charts anyway.

Which book should I lose my Gene Wolfe virginity with /sffg/? Shadow of the torturer?

What are the most used and least deconstructed fantasy tropes?

>it's that time again

kys

Truly a shitty suggestion chart with regards to introductory works to post-apocalyptic.

Are there any Fantasy books set in a period similar to the Age of muskets or rifles ? preferably low magic but im more interested if anyone has given the period the same treatment that the medieval age gets

Thousand names series
Powder Mage trilogy

I personally dont give a fuck.

There are PLENTY very real names that will sound like complete gibberish to us and vice versa for whichever culture we're so foreign to. Besides that, its fucking fiction.

They are autistic user. Just ignore them. If I was to write a fantasy novel and only use place names from my country they would probably call it stupid. Even though those names were around for decades.
That is how Americlaps behave. If it isn't a Klapistani name they lose their shit. They are all self centered trash.

>needlessly creating extra shit that doesn't show up in your books
World building was a mistake

OBSESSED

Which fantasy authors have gotten away with writing hardcore pedophilia that's described over several pages? Asking for a friend.

So why can't Severian tell the difference between ships that sail in the sea and in space, also was the mermaid bullshitting him at the end of Claw?

To be fair I could do the same and they'd be right.
t. Ausfag [spoiler/]

Add some zealots already, faggot

Anyone have a recommendation for a series with a protag who's mentally not up for the task?

Like eventually developing psychosis like symptoms from the stress.

I've read that WoT has a protag who turns "insane" but I feel he's more of an overpowered kind of edgy shitbag.
And what I'm looking for is somebody who just crumbles under the pressure.

just watch Evangelion

Evangelion was really nice.
The protag was the kind of shitbag I asked about.

What are some sffg categorized as tools of the patriarchy?

My contribution: Larry Niven. It is subtle, but it is enough to throw the most radical feminists in a fit of rage.

Thanks. Ill get the Powder mage trilogy it seems good

It's better to start with Fifth Head of Cerberus. Shadow of the Torturer is far better, but you have to read the entire Book of the New Sun to experience a complete work, so I'd recommend reading Fifth Head first and seeing if you like Wolfe's style before you commit yourself.

PKD and Watts do the best psychoses
>Blindsight
>The Three Stigmata of Eldritch Palmer
>Ubik
The Lathe of Heaven also has a Shinji tier character cracking mentally but it's not as good as the others. PKD's characters have better mental fortitude than Shinji but PKD bullies them all Evangelion style and with similar psychosis.

Search Evangelion in the Veeky Forums archives for the most recent thread with lots of my other recs but beware that these three are the best.

Other suggestions but not as close:
You can also try Flowers for Algernon but it's not very Eva.

Thanks, that will keep me busy for a while.

Black Jewels Trilogy

Thomas Covenant (in the first trilogy) does eventually step up to the plate but for about 95% of the series he's a complete wreck.

I had some books lined up at the start of that chart, but when I finished I forgot what I had selected for zealots. If anything Bakker probably suffices for zealot. (Although that is more his followers than the protag himself. The zealot tag was suppose to be protags who were 100% dogma crazy. an anime example of what I was going for would be the fat nazi guy from alucard )

Hell, there are lots of places essentially called "hill hill" (one in a celtic language, the second in english)

Here's an example:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpenhow_Hill

Discworld is that. In every fucking book

>Hometowns river name literally means river river in the local Anglo-Saxon tribes language

LIghtbringer

I think he wanted military. Tight pussy isn't that militant.

Im not bothered desu. I just wanted to know about fantasy that wasn't in some pseudo-medieval world

The Lies of Locke Lamora were great! Should i read the second book?

You could always update the chart, y'know.

So is this a troll chart or what? Why doesn't make someone make a real /sffg/ chart instead of this meme piece of shit.

Enjoy the start of warrior prophet going over the edge

Yeah. Third one's a step down though.

All charts are troll charts in /sffg/

I haven't read fantasy in forever and want to start reading again. I want a comfy fantasy with taverns and shit, what should I read?

When I was younger I remember liking Ranger's Apprentice and Feist, I want something in that direction but maybe a bit more mature.

sounds like you want Wolfe, Bakker, and Watts

> I want a comfy fantasy with taverns and shit, what should I read?
The Lies of Locke Lamora

I assumed it was just depicting the mediterranean

>tfw after managing to write every day for a week I slipped and fucked up because I couldn't think of how to describe the feeling that "this alleyway is looking kind of non-euclidean

>comfy read with taverns
>bakker

>every day for a month
Fcuk

How do I come up with engaging plots? Are there creativity exercises or techniques?

Are these books the big of LOTR ripoffs people say they are?

depends on your issue. If your characters motivations for doing anything seem unconvincing, hammer down who they are and what they want. If the plot is too linear, throw in complications. If your plot is predictable, plan out some unexpected twists and figure out how to disguise every little hint as something else.

If you're just not able to make a plot, just sit down and write it like a greentext, building on your own developments

What should I make my next famtasy novel be about to maximize (you)'s?

Those two look absolutely nothing a like.

Teenage girl from farm is secretly royalty, a wizard, and the chosen won destined to overthrow the evil empire regime that overthrew her secret father.

and a man so when she grows in her power she transforms herself

I'm jonesing for some fantasy (not YA) with no/low magic

I tried reading some Forgotten Realms and all the magic and spells made me groan out loud

Please hit me up with recommendations or post those giant images

And make 'deadnaming' an unforgivable blasphemy in the setting

I read The Heart Of What Was Lost and am halfway through The Witchwpod Crown. I skipped Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn because I heard it was slow and that TLKOOA was better. Is the first trilogy as cliched as the references to past events make it sound?
kitchen boy runs away with a rebellious princess and comic relief sidekick to defeat the great evil. He slays a dragon, overthrows the land's tyrannical ruler, marries the girl, and is crowned king in the end

I find it funny to pretend that the previous series doesn't exist and the stereotypical fantasy adventure is just backstory.

As always, I recommend the dandelion dynasty. at its core its a story about scientific progress and military tactics in an asian setting, though it does have some very small fantasy elements.

Well, except that Essos is nothing like Africa geographically.

Op here I actually like grrms setting more than his prose or characters desu. He skillfully compiles so many influences and inspirations that it is greater than the sum of it's parts. I was just shitposting in the op, his map is a little bland but nowhere near the worst

>grace of shit series

Opinion discarded. Find your own crappy book

I'm not the person you recommended the series to. I'm someone who was memed into reading it a few years ago. Take your cliched shit and shove it up yohr ass.

GRI but with Lolis too

Let me hear those shitty novel ideas so I can stea-, uh, I mean help you with them. I'll even post an appropriate reaction image to your idea.

I made 3 memes for that so far.

Guys I have some free time. Give me ideas for macro memes.

You miss the part where rebellious princess fucks some random merchant, then ends up being the one to kill the big bad, without actually doing any hard work or growing as a character . But otherwise you nailed it.

but I'm more like a friendly plumber or repairman, friend, helping young aspiring authors with their supple, nubile ideas.

Maybe!like a surgeon?

Names change everything

>the isolated, peaceful oriental country has far superior martial arts compared to the warring empire
Why.