Why are "mindgames" anime so appealing and what is the literary equivalent for it. Stuff like Death Note, Kaiji...

Why are "mindgames" anime so appealing and what is the literary equivalent for it. Stuff like Death Note, Kaiji, Log Horizon, etc.

>anime
>appealing

wut

have an upboat my fellow ledditor xDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!! dae hate anime?

(Edit: thanks for the gold, kind stranger!)

first person besides OP to reply to this thread and hopefully the last

death note, kaiji, log horizon light novels

Specifically English novels, user. I hate reading translations and I don't know enough kanji to read anything harder than a picture book.
pic related

> meant for

die noobfig

no u

This is Veeky Forums faggot, not /a/.
And don't go ask /a/ because rec threads are gay. Go ask /wsr/
Also go read Fukumotos other works like Akagi.

/a/ and /wsr/ are too plebeian. I'm asking here because a) I frequent this board and b) posters on Veeky Forums are (surprisingly) more read than those on other boards.
>Also go read Fukumotos other works like Akagi.
See this post:

Death Note is just a detective story.

>defending anime
>on a literature board
Why not make a thread about Play-Doh?

>all these angry fags ITT
Did a kawaii shoujo hurt you or something?

I'm also interested in this, would appreciate someone making a serious reply

If you make a non bait thread with the anime names and a few good authors that you feel adequately represent Death Note etc Veeky Forums will give you good recommendations.

Asimov's Foundation because I have never seen a single anime pull of so many amazing keikakus in such a short period of time. All of the Foundation books (especially Prelude)

Gene Wolfe. Stuff like Shadow of the Torturer is a mind game being played on the reader.

anime is a valid medium for art that's all i came to say

A lot of the military epics has similar trickery to those. Homer, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, various viking epics. Though your examples are a lot more gamey if that's the right word.

The Brothers Karamazov

> It’s the problem solving.
> It cuts the fluff from the plot reducing it to its simplest elements.
> Man has problem, man solves problem, repeat ad infinitum

Crime and Punishment is a bit like Death Note but the main character is less edgy.