Just bought this, did I messed up?

The fourth Dune is the only Dune worth reading, good luck with the first three

the first Dune is the only Dune worth reading, enjoy yourself friend

there is no Dune worth reading, feed it to the flames

There are no flames worth feeding, kill yourself

Nope, it's an enjoyable read.

Have fun!

Goshdamn, i've misplaced my spice.

No, it's a good book. The ending is sort of lame though, but they usually are.

if you're into garbage writing, you'll have the time of your life

Nope

>did I messed up?
Nah, ol' Frank Herbert will guide you up into the girders of ecstasy.

Contrived as fuck, and completely impossible to properly translate into motion picture without it being a trainwreck.

confirmed for Harkonnen

It's god-tier. Enjoy it.

Lol ya right bud. It's the best sci-fi novel of all time.

yes

i hated hated hated HATED this fucking book dude

the prose is awful

the characters are flat

the dialogue is stilted

the only thing good about it is the worldbuilding.

paul is a fucking mary sue

>He didn't read the next 3 books
I'm surprised you even read the first one desu, as it clearly went over your head.

I've been reading through a bunch of different sci-fi classics (e.g. your asimovs, clarke's, and pournelle's)

Came back to Dune, and he blows them all the fuck out of the water as far as enjoyable prose and interesting concepts go. Frank Herbert's novels are fun to read AND insightful. A lot of the aforementioned authors have cool sci-fi concepts but fall flat on their face with everything that isn't the technowank the novel's built around.

This

The only mess up is reading Brian Herbert's followups

why would i endure that awful writing for one more sentence

It's pretty good, not only by genre fiction standards but generally speaking. Not seeing the problem you have with it.

>paul is a fucking mary sue
You really didn't get the novel: Paul is meant to be a mary sue.

That's the entire point broski. He's the end result of a hundred generations of intentional husbandry by the Bene Gesserit to create a geopolitical monster (whom they were supposed to be able to control) that can see the future. He's built from the ground up to be a mary sue and the entire novel (and sequels) explore this and how it affects the universe he resides in.

And what happens? He fucks it all up. He fucks it up so badly that his ascendancy to power results in the genocide of 65 billion people, at least. Nevermind the oppressive political-religious bureaucracy he creates that ensures the suffering of the billions left alive.

I read it but never really got into it to be honest. I never really liked any of the characters and non of the technology stuff was very interesting either. The only decent character, Kynes, dies way too early. Everybody in the book is some genius that can pick out every little nuance of people's body language and word choice. The world itself was kinda interesting but it was so tied up with the Fremen religion shit which I couldn't care less about.

Here's one of the reasons I like his novels:

>“A large populace held in check by a small but powerful force is quite a common situation in our universe. And we know the major conditions wherein this large populace may turn upon its keepers—

>“One: When they find a leader. This is the most volatile threat to the powerful; they must retain control of leaders.
>“Two: When the populace recognizes its chains. Keep the populace blind and unquestioning.
>“Three: When the populace perceives a hope of escape from bondage. They must never even believe that escape is possible!”
-- Children of Dune

Is this a groundbreaking political revelation?
No!

Anyone who's read some political discourse could tell you something similar to this. But what Herbert has done is distill political ideas into his novel without forcing you to read dry volumes of human history, and further reinforced it with allegories within the novels - not merely expository statements of "fact", but ideas that are then explored by the novel to show the reader how that could be.

In a way it's as simple as old fables like The Fox and the Grapes.

It's fine. Any other position on it is either ignorance or pretension.

> Not buying the $140 Folio Society edition

You did wrong.

Agreed. Herbert may not be a first-class writer but many famous SF writers are third-rate stylists at best. Dune having both a strong concept and style (again: second rate) accounts for its reputation. Justifiably, too.

Muad'dib needs a shuttle bus to get to his fucking throne every morning.

>completely impossible to properly translate into motion picture without it being a trainwreck.
What a non-issue. Fuck off.

There's some kind of built-in transportation system, but it's not really expounded on. Probably something like movable floors.

One thing Herbert was really good at was writing fight scenes. The spice / dream sequences were kind of a drag, but once the action in the book gets going, it really packs a punch.

Still need to go back and read the other 3.

great. he's still fucking boring to read about. the writing still sucks. the dialogue is still awful.

it's a shit fucking book.

In that case sci-fi is confirmed garbage tier

Worthless shitskin.

>Humorless, joyless, pretentious old bores detected

paul is a mary sue by design and ends up fucking it all up anyways and bitches out when he understands the implications of what he has to do to save humanity

It's very fun to read

>writes sentences such as "it's a shit fucking book"
>expects to be taken seriously when talking about poor writing

stale b8

That fucking feeling when Muad'dib's son ruined the lives of the Fremen post-mortem.