A Scanner Darkly

Was pretty good, I like the unreliable narrator and the slips into hallucinations. Is the movie any good? And is any other pkd stuff worth reading?

ubik is his best work

Weird, just finished this book about an hour ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Dick's depiction of druggie conversations was absolutely hilarious, and I loved the way the narrator would daydream mid conversation and snap back, leaving parts to the imagination. Ending was simultaneously sad/poetic and hopeful. All in all a great read. The movie is a very faithful adaptation, with only minor scenes cut to save time, and a few very minor plot changes. Would definitely recommend you watch the film soon.

Also, was it ever implied or stated in the book that Donna was Hank like in the movie or was that an artistic liberty taken for the film?

I loved the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch more than Ubik.

I don't remember this being in the book (... nor the movie)

oh wait no I remember the movie bit. I don't think it was in the book

>Is the movie any good?
I loved the movie. It was fucking great
>And is any other pkd stuff worth reading?
VALIS and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? are two of my all time favorite books. I think Electric Sheep is better than Blade Runner to be honest

Honestly I liked that addition for the movie, makes sense in the context

I'd say read Flow my Tears as well, it's rad

Yes and yes.

Yeah I planned on it! I got it years ago and it was the book I most wanted to read by Dick but I got sidetracked. I think I'll read it after my current book

Movie is awesome, still watch it from time to time. Valis was really good

>any other pkd stuff worth reading
All of it. ALL OF IT.

>Electric Sheep is better than Blade Runner to be honest
I do too, but honestly DADOES is about as thematically far from Blade Runner as Nourse's book is. I have never been able to watch Blade Runner completely.

I finished FMT before I read Scanner. I'd say Scanner is the better of the two but they're both such different books that it really is an unfair comparison.

>A Philip K Dick thread
>yes
>YES

I finished Electric Sheep two days ago after I was blown away by Ubik, my first Dick novel. I have started Neuromancer yesterday to take a break from PKD and keep that cyberpunk streak going but it's garbage. Neuromancer is at it's core trashy pulp coded in dense techno-babble. Dick juggles world building, theme exploration and story progression all at the same time while Gibson can only do one thing at a time.
Anyway I think I'll drop Neuromancer in the trashbin and start A Scanner Darkly instead. Blogpost over

I would finish Neuromancer if I were you. It's been getting more and more flak lately but I'd rank it among my top ten SF any day.

>realising that I may never read a book as good as Palmer Eldritch or Ubik ever again
F-fuck

I stopped Ubik and Flow my tears halfway through because I got sick of Dick for a while.
Scanner Darkly is my favorite.

THE MOVIE IS SO FUCKING GOOD GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW

>tfw I never even watch movies only anime and books

Finish Neuromancer you god damn pleb. Jesus christ what is wrong with people THESE DAYS?

To be fair, PKD's books are 200 times more exciting compared to Gibson's.

The book was very good and so is the movie. But the movie fails to capture the - as you called it - unreliable narrator. That is because you can't really depict it in a movie, I think. Watching and reading this made me really appreciate different forms of story telling.

All of it tbqh
I've never been terribly disappointed by a PKD with maybe the exception of The Cosmic Puppets, but that was what his second published work? No one bats 1.000 and I liked The Solar Lottery so. Try The Man in the High Castle next.

Anyway, the movie is great, personal top 20 for me.

If you somehow think that cyber augmented street samurai and drug addicted neuro-fried computer hackers are boring you might actually be retarded

Just bought the divine invasion
What am I in for

I read Gibson's books during my edgy teenager years and later disliked them.

So quirky. Also so badly written.