Recent purchases lads

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gen.lib.rus.ec

I got a 1991 New Oxford Annotated Bible in good condition for $12

I pretty much buy any NYRB edition
Got pic related at a library sale for $25

Ayy I had to read Survival in Auschwitz for history in college.

I didn't enjoy it, but it wasn't really supposed to be an enjoyable book I guess.

Well, neither was Auschwitz...

nice!

Let me know how 'The Siege of Krishnapur' is

Good selection. Anyone read Henderson the Rain King yet?

Diary of a man in despair is a good one.

You're not gonna read any of those, are you?

Still waiting for GR

Here's my stack from the past few weeks. I've been really getting into John Hawkes recently and I'm trying to finish up my Pynchon collection. Currently reading Carpenter's Gothic by William Gaddis. I'm only a chapter or two in and it's a dream.

Recently got at my library's dollar-a-bag booksale:

Von Clausewitz: On War
Von Clausewitz: Principles of War
Imperium: The Philosophy of History and Politics
A collection of famous speeches throughout history
The US Constitution plus assorted writings of the founding fathers, gilded edges
10 Animorphs books I didn't have, bringing my collection to fully half of the series (I see ordering them online as cheating)

Not OP but

Farrell is seriously underrated and doesn't get talked about nearly enough.

To be fair though I didn't know about him either before reading The Siege of Krishnapur for a class this semester. I haven't read anything else by him yet but Krishnapur is really quite something--it treats a serious topic intelligently but also with a skillful lightness of touch. It hits that sweet spot of being straightforwardly readable while retaining a great level of insight. It's just so damn sensible you feel sort of disappointed more people don't write like him.

>“The British could leave and half India wouldn't notice us leaving just as they didn't notice us arriving. All our reforms of administration might be reforms on the moon for all it has to do with them..”

So, what? you went back to 2000? laaame!

This is what I purchased throughout August.

:^)

>Nietzsche
>Codreanu
>Hobbes

Nice

No offence but that Joyce is ugly as sin. Do still read though.

Found the Vonnegut at Goodwill for $1

Is #4 Philip K Dick? Which novels are in it?
What's the bottom right one?

>Is #4 Philip K Dick? Which novels are in it?

Yes, it has The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and Ubik.

I'm planning on starting with Do Androids...

I just finished Bleeding Edge this weekend and really enjoyed it

Have you read a lot of Faulkner? I just read If I Forget Thee, Jerusalem over the weekend, it was my second Faulkner novel after The Sound and The Fury.

That's probably the next Pynchon I'm going to read. Debating either V or M&D though.

You're getting every cent of this god-forsaken money back. I hate what you've done. I don't want it, I never wanted it. Lies, so many lies. Why would you do this to your own grandchildren? Forget me, why take from their future, and have me facilitate it? I'm speechless..

Hype for this. Enjoyed what I read from an online preview.

Do you know if Eco is any good? I just found out I have a copy of the name of the rose but there are so many books I want to read right now I don't know if I should bother with it yet

Recent pleb purchases

some of them are translated to greek, from top to bottom:
>Candid by Voltaire
>Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
>Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
>The Gallic War by Julius Caesar
>The Castle by Franz Kafka
>Will to Power by Friedrich Nietzsche
>On the Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzsche

the speaking tree a study of indian something something

Tell me what to think

no

Ride the tiger my fellow aristocrat of the soul.

Just the sound and the fury. I thought it was great, the characters were very enjoyable. The prose could get a little dense at times, but overall he's great. Would recommend.

I've heard Eco is great, but haven't read him myself, which is why I picked up that book. While the book I bought seemed most up my alley, a lot of people here recommend Foucault's pendulum. The name of the rose is considered his best work, if that means anything to you.

Holy

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Greek on Veeky Forums before. Can you read Plato and stuff in the original or do you need a translation?

buy that shit on kindle you over-encumbered douche.

>buying eBooks

why would anyone throw their money away like that

you won't even truly own those "books"

>you won't even truly own those "books"
pls expand

if some sjw decide a book is ungood they can remove it from your device at any time

the same sjw that just stole your property and destroyed it could do the same with a paperback my man.

they didn't steal it, your $9 will be refunded to your Amazon account. don't you remember when 1984 got mass deleted from Kindles? it was a 'mistake' but personally i think someone inside Amazon wanted to show the danger of ebooks

ebook situation
>sjw fucks with some software without you even realizing and your books are toast

hardcopy situation
>sjw tries to invade your property and gets shot

try and touch me

>not keeping backups
>not knowing where to download the book again for free
staypleb.epub

>not knowing where to download the book again for free

then why would u buy it in the first place?

interesting, but paranoid premise.

you seriously don't remember this?

>nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

with the way sjwism is going these days it's not paranoia, how does it go? first they came for the statues but i didn't speak up because i didn't care about plastic arts, then they came for the nazi punk but i didn't speak up because i only listen to numale pitchfork stuff, then they came for my books but ...

Sometimes you want to support an author. Crazy, I know.

Samizdat when?

r8/h8

It's paranoia. There was backlash to that move in *2009*, almost a decade ago. And the intent of the move wasn't even malicious. You're unintentionally fearmongering right now my friend.

that's what the pagans said the first time a temple got vandalized

Looks like a fine pile to keep my fireplace going this winter

we're probably all gonna catch ebola too

These bad boys cost me 25 AUD

>tfw no used book stores near by

whoa...this is so interesting because none of these books I would even think existed or know where to find or even imagine...I want to read them unironically.

i have that copy of the egoist.

Are you being ironic?

no. i said that! i just mean like i would have known and been interested in loads of fields. like astronomy. but like I'm seeing these titles and I seriously have no idea what they'd be like

Just makin sure, friend. Anyway, Theology/Religion has been one of the few things that genuinely interests me for a little while now. Everything else I seem to get bored with pretty quickly.

>2009
>almost a decade ago

It depends on the passage really, studying ancient Greek is mandatory for us during high school, so we all have some basic knowledge on it. If the passage doesn't use words that I don't know I can probably read it in the original, otherwise I have to look the translated text to make a meaning out of it. For this reason I like to buy books that include both the original and the translated text.

does anyone else get worried that the owner of a local bookstore will recognize something you posted on here as something you bought from them and know you're a faggot

if he visits Veeky Forums he's a faggot as well though

recent charity shop buys

i liked it

Entry tier hehe
How old r u?

Is it good?
I picked it up because the blurb pretty much.

a farewell to arms is a really great book! hope you enjoy!

cool

THERE ARE NO USED BOOK STORES IN MALTA FUCKING KILL ME

This. With some Evola books. I also got Ubik and Hyperion for my nerd brother's birthday

That's quite a thin Don Quixote. Is it both volumes? Please also check that it is unabridged.

> recent

I've seen this posted about five, six times now. Just fucking read them already.

Karamazov should be reserved for when you reach the point of having read each key Dostoevsky novel.

The Master and Margarita is great. If you're still undecided on what to start (that's all I can assume why you would keep posting this stack), go for that one.

Used book stores are pretty overrated imo. You end up dropping a wad of cash on books that you only sort of want when you could be going online and ordering used books that you are specifically looking for. Though a lot of user probably enjoy the ritual of lurking around used books stores so I get how that would be a pleasant part of it too.

got all this for $40 at a university book fair, really happy about the dictionary, been wanting one for a while now, anyone have any comments opinions on the other books, i mostly got them because of authors (they tended to be their lesser known works) and ones whose titles looked interesting because the way it worked was $10 per box full

That's cool. I wish my university had a book sale. Maybe they did but it wasn't well known... I really should have popped by the library more times rather than studied at home.

> dat warping on The Ticket that Exploded

Oh shit either that book is having a party and everyone's invited or someone dropped it in the fucking bath

All 2nd hand for like $5

I know desu, but I had spent 3 hours in that goddamned shop searching up about the Russian and Greek translations just to find that they had the worst translators possible. For every fucking book there. I just picked up Dubliners at the end out of frustration, as I didn't want to start Ulysses or FW right now.

In which book does Celine insult blacks and jews?

That's a slick Aniara

Is the Penguin edition supposed to be good? I'm pretty anal about translations, and since Penguin always seems to get a bad rep I skip them subliminally

Which translation of Dostoyevsky is that? Also, math major, or is that high school stuff? Sorry not Americano so I don't know how your education system works.

P&V
It's highschool tier. I studied CS in the 90s and forgot a lot. I'll move onto higher maths but finding cheap secondhand books is hard.

yeah its not smudged or anything tho, still perfectly readable

Almost everyone of those books looks bin worthy they're that battered. I can just feel the hand grease and germs sticking to my hands looking at those books.

its not about the books user, its about the ideas contained with in them

plus id say less than half are bin worthy

Bought these 3 for $6 total. Is the Gun, Germs, and Steel any good or is it a shilled meme like that Critique book?

Macdonal's Culture of Critique is actually good.
GGS has lots of historical inaccuracies and bad conclusions