Are monolinguals even human?

Are monolinguals even human?

As proven countless times by the anglotards on this board, no.

Why bother learning a language when everything gets translated to the Anglo Master Tongue?

I can only imagine how awful it must be to be born speaking some backwater language and have to put in all the effort to gain access to the world's literature. I'll never know that feel. The world's literature comes to me.

DEFENSE MECHANISMS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE, I SEE

I speak spanish but there are no good spanish books

>speaking other languages
>not making everyone else speak yours
you will never understand #anglomindset

>translationcucks

>tfw shitty burger education means I didn't start learning German until I was 14
>tfw I will never have the fluency of someone who started learning before the onset of puberty
>tfw I can't even take a train to a German country because there's a meme ocean between us

two faggots, but the first one sucks way more cocks

>learning language
>Lesson 1: How to decline verbs
>haha this is fun
>Lesson 2: How to say "to" or "in" or "above"
>haha now i can say "she goes in the house" :)
>Lesson 3: The verb for "go" when used in conjunction with "for" means "very hurriedly request"
>wait, what?
>Lesson 4: The preposition "to," when used in the middle of a sentence but not before a verb with two or more syllables, means "for the sake of"
>what the fuck?
>Lesson 5: The word "blah" means "near"
>well that seems alri-
>Lesson 6: Except when it means "for," "the," "in," "cast," "neighborly," and "(in) front of and slightly elevated"
>what! you cant possibly expect me to remember all th-
>Lesson 7: Every time you use a relative or personal pronoun, you have to play sudoku to figure out which one it is, and then look up in the dictionary the gender of the it is next to, and roll a 12-sided die where 8+ is a hit and 1 or 2 is a critical miss

This is the punishment for tryhard weabs

Yes, because I'm human, but I'm not convinced anyone else is

Are you saying I'm not human? It's not my fault, I literally can't learn a second language

Don't know what language that is but its not Japanese something slavic if I was going to guess

Is there anything more pleb than reading books in the original language?

>jealous monoglots can only read books in the original language
>patrician polyglots like myself can read the works of Goethe in French, the masterpieces of Proust in the superior Russian, Chinese and Japanese works in the opposite language, etc., opening up new vistas of interpretation and understanding

I tried reading a book in the original language once, just to see what it's like being a pleb, and it was a suffocating and nauseous experience. I pity those for whom there is no other option.

>This is what americans actually believe

>tfw bilingual
>tfw almost no good literature in the language that isn't English, and the translations are generally better in English
feels kinda bad man

You can't even learn how to properly use quotation arrows in your native language, just give up senpai.

what is the best language to learn for reading literature (both fiction and philosophy)? I assume German, am I correct?

>get option to start learning a language at 13
why is american education such a cruel joke

french

give examples of important works/writers from France (I'm a booklet)

Proust
Hugo
Pennac
Sollers xD

I know you're just memeing but are there actually translations that are better than the original?

No, seriously you guys. I have some kind of disability that makes it impossible for me to understand foreign grammar. PLEASE ask me about it

Please elaborate.

Some people have claimed that Dostoevsky is better in translation because he's kind of a sloppy writer at times and translators normally clean that up.

Most people from non-english speaking countries born after like 1960 learn english without even trying no matter they want it or no.

supposedly a lot of crap books are better in translation because translators can't be bothered to sweat over capturing the unique badness

I like this one

You guys are a joke. I dropped out of school, never had an English class in my life and I know it better than you do.

t. third-world tri-lingual autodidact

>muh trilingual

what did he mean by this...

At the end of the day, there are no languages that have better novels than the ones composed in English and French. You have a few outliers, such as Tolstoyevsky, but when one thinks about novels from the 18th century onward, most of them were written in English and French because they were the languages of the most powerful nations and a rising power (USA). This fact is simply irrefutable.

For philosophy, obviously German and classical languages are essential, but there's plenty of good philosophy in English and French.

As for poetry, that's more subjective. For a westerner, it helps to know some Latin and Greek and other modern European languages, but some poets have done interesting work after being influenced by exotic languages (see Persian's influence on Basil Bunting or Far Eastern languages for Ezra Pound).

Other poets, such as pic related and Walt Whitman, had no knowledge of foreign languages. And their poetry turned out widely influential in spite of it.

Explain that shit

was jesues christ a human

the bible

Latin (to speak to the Romans) and Hebrew.

what a weird way to tell people to learn chinese

>At the end of the day, there are no languages that have better novels than the ones composed in English and French.
If you knew German, you'd understand the depth and breadth of literature written in German is tremendous. I only found out after I learned German in my early 30s. French lit may have higher peaks, but it can't compete in depth and breadth. As for English, compare 19th century literature written in German to that written in English, and English lit is like a toddler. What passes for deuterocanonical in English for the time period is often well below par in comparison with random 19th century German lit by utterly forgotten authors. Even in terms of contemporary lit, I occasionally borrow from the library or buy some relatively recent book by a German author I've never even heard of only to end up chuckling to myself and shaking my head at how these complete unknowns can time and again surprise me with their consistently high quality. This experience and how it keeps repeating is strikingly different from doing similarly random pckings in French or English where the quality is all over the place (even with lauded authors) and often makes me want to stab the book.

He would have spoken Aramaic as his native language and Greek as a lingua franca. And he would have learned Hebrew for religious studies.

no, the thing is that you don't have good taste

>tfw Italian who learned English

Your books are all garbage, anglos. I'm going back to mine

Kaufmann's translation of Nietzsche was done really well REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have read Umberto Eco books in English. Fight me.

>reading translations
kek
i bet you think that its literature
>Is there anything more pleb than reading books in the original language?
yeah everything is more pleb. reading them in (any) translation is as pleb as it gets

a translation is the opinion of translator

Feels good not growing up Im some retarded language were every thing has a gender and the langauge itself is to stupid to have a cohesive sentence structure.

Learning Chinese and Spanish made made me realize that English is simply a better basis for rational thought. I can't imagine having my thoughts be based in one of those orc tongues.

>Learning Chinese and Spanish made made me realize that English is simply a better basis for rational thought. I can't imagine having my thoughts be based in one of those orc tongues.
That's mainly because your ability in Chinese and Spanish is not even remotely close to your ability in English. In fact, your phrasing implies you might be below intermediate in both. Your opinion is really just a story you tell yourself to feel better because of your frustration at not being able to learn those languages to a high level due to your own weaknesses.

Most people that speak more than one language just grew up learning these languages without any volition of their own. Also,
>tfw the only other language I speak is some shitty African language

>falling for the anti-translation meme

you guys don't seriously do this, do you?

I speak my native language, German and English. I'm learning Latin and I feel like a fag for not knowing French.

>Umberto
EpicXD

After Latin, you could take on French. It would be piss easy (besides pronunciation) if you have English and Latin under your belt.

If you aren't fluent in at least four languages you're no better than they are.

In which languages are you fluent?

I got six languages in school.

No school will teach you enough to get fluent in any language. But it does help when you want to pick a language up on your own later in life.

Fuck you

Pussied out like a good american pseud

Nice meme kraut

I might try. I wanna go for Greek though. But that is far away I can barely read Caesar in latin.

I'm a good way through German. At my pace I should be fluent in about 2 more years. What should I do next? Dutch?

German to Greek is ezpz
>cases
>gendered nouns
>prepositions that change the case of their object
trust me

English -> German -> Greek -> Russian is my plan, im 60% there

I would fuck the shit out of a fat nigger.