Best books on war?

Nonfiction and fiction. I'm currently reading a book about the Vietnam war that's nonfiction but written in prose or whatever it's called and with no pictures. I don't really like the book a lot, although I like the idea of a book about war. The book is called Behind The Lines - Hanoi.

I have two other books about war:
With Rommel in the Desert by Heinz Schmidt
Rommel's War in Africa by Wolf Heckmann

Oh I forgot, I also have Combat Intelligence in Modern Warfare by Irving Heymont

I'm not too familiar with foreign literature, but I can certainly recommend

The Darkroom of Damocles by Willem Frederik Hermans

Do you want accounts of way ie. histories/stories of war, or do you want more abstract discussions of war such as Von Clausewitz's On War?

Some recs;

Storm of Steel from Juenger is a reasonably war-positive autobiographical novel from a German fighting in WW1

Keegan's A History of Warfare is that and much more - a large part of the book is spent on shitting on Clausewitz' ideas. VERY dense, full fo info.

The Good Soldier Ċ vejk - hilarious Czech satire of war, never actually gets to war. A lot like Catch-22, but IMHO better, yet unfinished.

Andreyev's The Red Laugh - kind of forgotten autobiographical novella from the Russo-Japanese war, very dreamlike

Generation Kill - a collection of magazine articles from a journalist embedded in Iraq

Babchenko's One Soldier's War - autobiographical, extremely dark novel from a Russian who fought in the Chechen War

Marlantes' What's It Like To Go To War- the author is famous for autobiographical Vietnam War books, this one is more non-fiction, the effects the war had on his psyche, what he went through, and how he got over his PTSD

Anything, but I think it might be interesting with something that's an on-the-ground report or whatever, an account of one person's real life experience, but also with pieces of history and such in it. Or it could be something else.

Aussie Fucking Rick, nice to see you outside of GRs.
I am surprised ,you of all people's asking for Recommendations.

>Storm of Steel
I looked it up. I think I saw it in a chart on this board among the top novels or something. Do you recommend the 1929 edition or the Hofmann translation by Penguin? Says on amazon the latter is heavily censored.

The Art of The War - Some Guy from Chyna!

I've been thinking of reading Storm of Steel too and also want info on best version to read?

I liked the older translation more. There's something stilted and unnatural sounding about the newer one, even though it won some big award.

Who translated this older better version?

Is it still readily available online?

My diary, desu.
>It ain't me starts playing

read 'the sorrow of war' by Bao Ninh you absolute faggot this is the best fucking book besides 'dispatches' by michael herr you fucking ballbag

In parentheses David Jones

I highly recommend Zinky Boys for accounts of people involved in the Soviet-Afghan conflict.

Can't find it. Sure you got that right?

Aren't you an edgy teen?

With the Old Breed - Eugene Sledge
Island of the Damned - R.V Burgin
Voices of the Pacific - Adam Makos

If you want a writer thats a bit more verbose, Helmet for my Pillow - Robert Leckie

Anyone know the answer to this?

Sledge and Leckie are good. Found them thanks to The Pacific and I expected utter shit. Glad I was wrong.

Leckie also wrote book on US Military and General History, its some really good shit, most people are turned off by how verbose he is but I actually like it, he describes things and situations in engaging ways

This book is a masterpiece and I've read it more times than I can count. Nothing has ever come close to portraying how it actually is being a soldier in Afghanistan, losing a friend, being bored and hot and wanting to die, and then coming home and being told to be normal.

I joined the army as a medic mostly because of reading this book and the story of Doc Restrepo.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost Fleet by P.W. Singer and August Cole

Erick Maria Remarque