/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Immersion Killers Edition.
>what is the last sff book you read that killed your immersion?
>what, iyho does an author have to do to kill your immersion of a sff book?
>what are some sff books you read where an author kills immersion by trying too hard to be a literati, in the end killing both prose and story?

>/SFFG/ Recommendations:
FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previously on SFFG:

First for dark elves are born sluts.

Start with the Greeks.

Remove Dunyain from the premises

I have been searching for good military-scifi for a while now, got sick and tired of Honor Harrington series as the Mary Sue-syndrome started getting worse and worse the more I read that I couldn't stand it anymore even for the sake of the combat parts of the books.

I tried reading "Unbreakable" which first appeared cozy with their exoskeleton infantry and relatively conventional weapon tech level. But then the author got braindamage and threw in a ghost of the protagonist to give shitty narrative and to generally ruin a good book.

The Expanse is top-notch scifi but it's pretty limited in space combat and more on Holten's shenanigans.

There was also this book series called "The Starfishers" but the story jumps both in location, characters and time. It's a frustrating clusterfuck of a read that pisses me off because the author clearly doesn't know what the absolutely fuck he should focus on.

I've read all Ciaphas Cain books, really liked the black humour and tongue-in-cheek writing of the character. I could appreciate more along that alley.

What fantasy books even feature dark elves besides D&D novels? And of those the dragonlance legends series is the only one to get any praise, does that have any?

Malazan technically. And they're boring as shit.

Read that, and yeah they are.

Which one first?
>I know starting with Crown Tower isn't technically right, but it is chronologically right order and it's written so that you can do so.

I'm new to nonfiction book reading; I've read all of Tolkien.

I DNF'd two of these and haven't read the other

Waking fire's non dragon safari povs suck, but the second book does them somewhat better. (By reducing the ship commander to almost non existence)

Traitors blade is campy fun three musketeers fantasy, but gets a bit repetitive in its plot structure.

Haven't read the prequel trilogy for the other one, so I can't comment.

I see you're a Cain-fag.
You should really read Flasman, one of the main influences of Ciaphas Cain.
Very entertaining series, with an even bigger self centered bastard as a main character, that somehow always ends up as a hero.
Be warned though, it's not sci-fi, it takes place during the times of the British Empire.

Well Veeky Forums has deterred me away from the memersons, I'm not gonna read gay sex or YA.
And everyone says Mark Lawrence Thorn books are "meh".
So there were only these few left.
Or Black Company, and other "unknown" series.

Nonmen are the best dark elves.
They are fully GRI compliant.

So pick one you like, from the general description I gave you, nerd.

Gut feeling from the DNFer guy: if what the other person says about the sequel to Waking Fire then I'd go with that. I found a similar problem in that the other POVs really slowed my momentum in reading.

>I'm not gonna read gay sex
Then fuck off. jesus christ.

Most of us don't user.

I don't wanna read detailed sex over all.

nice samefagging. this is the GRI gen
then say that

>nice samefagging
This is my samefagging face :|

What a letdown. The first book was top notch work and this one is just another history adventure pulp. It was a chore to read, i don't know should i even bother with the third.

Almost every word in english has a metaphoric origin, but Pattern seems to only classify sentences explicitly codified as figures of speech as lies
What is the meaning behind that?

Hard scifi about man being in space pondering existence please. I don't want alien races or galactic empires.

>Hard scifi about man being in space pondering existence
I dozed off just reading this.

Read the first 3 books of this recently.
Generic, but inoffensively so. Good light reading, doesn't really try too hard to be edgy or different and instead goes for some fun characterization and a lot of world building.
At the very least I don't regret reading them, I enjoyed it.

fantasy with show-off linguistics?

>I know starting with Crown Tower isn't technically right
You damn right it isn't correct. The reasons prequels are made is because the main series is successful. The prequels were made to compliment an existing knowledge of the world, and expanding the shenanigans of beloved characters. Reading that before revelations is like.. I can't even come up with a good analogy. That just shows how wrong it is.

Anthony Ryan likes to end his novels on abrupt cliffhangers. He is like a girl giving you head, and when you are about to nut, she gets up, dresses, and leaves. You end up with blue balls for two years until she returns. Jacking off doesn't help because for some reason only her throat makes you nut. He also has a bad habit of pure shit third books. Dragon safari 2 wasn't so bad, but it did end on cliffhangers, and he horrible at wrapping up stories....

Never read Traitor's Meme. For some reason I can't remember I didn't pick up the book years ago, and have it burnt into my memory to never do so.

>tfw no brown supple qt Indian gf to plough and plunder on a nightly basis
Why live?

That is a fun series and the british empire almost qualifies as fantasy fiction at this point anyway

>Pattern with a capital P
Is this about witty Shalan? I never dug that deep into his "i need a secret from you meme". I just saw it as the price to pay to activate his Jutsu- i mean his power.

have you read words of radiance?

>author's name is AC (alternating current)
>cover has wrenches on it
>character's name is from a tree
It's steampunk isn't it?

>go to a.c cobbles goodreads page
>He was born and raised in Tennessee but currently resides in Texas with his wife, her two children and his wife's dog.
no thanks

Cloistered, wholesome christian southerners make good books.

Yes I did. The same week it was released. You didn't state you were talking about our Lord and Savior Sanderson, so seeing you write "Pattern" as someone's(or something's) name and the "lie" i figured that is what you were talking about.

No, it's fairly low key fantasy. Starts with the main character's village hiring a party of warrior to help them kill a Demon (a literal demon) that's been eating their livestock, continues from that. The author draws a little too heavily from Wheel of Time in some parts, and the latter half of the first book got a bit bogged down, but other than that it was enjoyable.

>her two children and his wife's dog.
Damn. Nothing is truly his own.

He is a cuck. If you didn't get the gist of it.

Right, well, Pattern has a tendency to refer to figures of speech and metaphors as lies, because they don't actually say what they mean. yet he seems to ignore that literally almost every single word in the English language is a metaphor onto it self, yet he doesn't give a shit unless it's explicitly a figure of speech

>He is a cuck. If you didn't get the gist of it.
As are all good authors

>it's fairly low key fantasy
>village hiring a party of warrior to help them kill a Demon cliche
>draws a little too heavily from Wheel of Time
>half of the first book got a bit bogged down
>Wheel of Time
You are not shilling this properly at all user. I don't even want to read the blurb, much less the book.
How is the GRI APPROVAL?

It has some. At one point in book 3 they get directions from a Dom and his gimp after interrupting them.

> the part where they eventually get to the city, he sits around brewing beer for half the book, then runs away at the end.

I regret everything.

Yeah that sucked. It hasn't gotten stuck in a rut like that again though.

Are you talking about Earth's English, or Sanderson's English? Because Roshar (or w/e planet storms are on) isn't earth. You should read Sanderson's books like translations (the cosmere ones at least). That is why they don't say 'fucking' in the books. Storm / storming is something more reviled than fuck / fucking in their world. Just like every place on earth has a different cuss, Sanderson's worlds also have that.
Hell they don't even write in English, they write in symbols (and those symbols were translated for us, further proving that the works are a translation).

>no swearing is definitely because they speak in a different language and not because the author is a cuck
im not convinced

>have to read two books that are bogged down to get a glimpse of GRI (not even in action) in the third
You sealed your faith user. Not touching.

Roshar has the same etymological root as earth english as far as I can tell.

Why are the medical terms latin if it's just an english translation?

>The Stranger, greeks and Russian books have the same etymological root as earth english as far as I can tell when I read them
>what is a translation

>The medical knowledge of the heralds (the past civilization) is in latin
>the current language is in english
>but it's just a translation

>English doesn't have Latin words that we use everyday
>English isn't a bastard language stuffed full of sperms from multiple olden civilizations
>reaching this hard to disprove translations even after the books show that their writing isn't English

Oh so the language on Roshar is, contrary to every language on earth, completely brand spanking new and arbitrary? There's no etymological, symbolical background for why words are like they are? Sounds like pretty unbelievable, shallow lore

>refresh thread
>this is branderson general now

It's. Not. Earth.
It's a fucking planet in a solar system with multiple habitable planets. If you want to say that the home world of the shards (epicentre of the shattering) was earth, then I would take that (seeing that it's canon that the shards made people out of memories that it had before).

The home planet probably spoke English (and Hoade probably speaks English too, seeing as it's him we are getting events from). When we go to the home planet we will probably get fucking etc, but now we deal with the translations.
Mormons are not opposed to cussing look at Scott Card, when Sanderson reaches homeworld he will let the profanities fly (his kids will be 25+ years old by then).

>when Sanderson reaches homeworld he will let the profanities fly
lolno

>It's. Not. Earth
But the humans are humans, right? how fucking alien and bizarre would they have to be to make language in a way that's 100% impossible on earth?

Except the writer himself says you can start with Crown Tower, it's written so that you can.

>writer says "buy my new series"

You don't say

you realize fantasy writers are almost universally morally and ethically faultless?

Have you ever shat in plate?

>buy my new series =/= I would suggest that (you) buy/read the other series first, but if (you) so choose (you) can buy/read this one first.

u airsig lowlanders :-DDD

ur one of my fav cousins cousin

I shit on most fantasy and sci fi books I read on sffg but I can actually separate myself from my cynicism and like almost everything I read, including sanderson

You're alright too, gringo... I mean gancho

*unshethes shardblade and burns iron*

I'm sick of this storming thread, by the Lord Ruler!

For some reason I read that in oblivion guards voice and it fit fairly well

What's the first thing that happens in your novel?

GRI

I the chosen child meets his old but capable mentor

The main character is getting jacked into the magic neural network his team has before sitting in front of a magic monitor guarding a shipyard transporting magic stuff.

Is Eugenio Loboe the most Veeky Forums writer?

The creation of the universe.

Pronagotist kills his papa.

Mason doing his job.

Is the Once and Future King worth reading? I'm going through a fairly intense period in my life, and I need something to read in my down time that will entertain and motivate me; the Book of the New Sun did the trick for me, so I'm looking for something similarly engaging with similarly relatable male characters

Plz gib fantasy book with extremely large geographical setting.

Idea for a fantasy series set in a post-apocalyptic backdrop. Set thousands of possibly years after an implied nuclear bombardment which ravaged and drastically changed the landscape, a monk from a religious order travels to a distant land braving mutated animals, "demons", and other Godforsaken unholy things. He later learns the messiah is really just a really intelligent computer that the leader of the community is keeping secret to make a power grab for themselves.

>Book of the Long Sun series grips immediately and was an enjoyable read
>Book of the New Urth series grips immediately and is an enjoyable read
>Book of the Short sun series starts out shitty and does the worst of the "diary" narrative

Should I keep reading the books of the short sun? It feels pretty gross so far.

Yeah this is what Bakker wrote.

The Elder Warren of the Light Ain't free.The purity of the Tiste gotta be littered with the blood of Andii. Anomandaris Dragnipurake aka "Anomader Rake" is not my Ascendent. he is an impure Andii and probbaly a coward as well :DD Kurald Thyrllan and Osric not Kurald Galain and Mother Dark ok
praise father light

Just read Dune... Was the ending absolute trash for anyone else? Do I need to read other books in the universe to appreciate the ending more?

I liked 95% of the book, but found the last 3-4 chapters to be ridiculous, and really non-immersive.

The Mentalist talks to the main character about what the definition of insanity is while she is being strapped to a chair.

Do they drop a second nuke by chance, decades later?

How many nukes does it take to remove Dunyain fucking shits?

Is that one of those cunt light dragons? Those fire bastards?
Need a spurdo for him and we can put your text on it.

What is that writing on the nuke? Arabic?

Godless space hedonist.

I can only read TLtL and SS so many times
I need this now Ada you stingy bitch

>tfw modern life is so devoid of organic human interaction that you will forever question whether the people around you are advertisers / shills trying to get you to read shitty SF books

Here is my SF+F bookcase, recommendations welcome.

1/2

It's good user, the shilling ceased because there no shills, only genuine fans realising their were alienating potential friends

2/2

The shilling ceased because I threatened to make wordart marcos.

>No question of payment?” Mraize asked, amused, removing a dart from his pocket. "Your mistress always asked.” “Brightlord,” Shallan said, “one does not haggle at the finest winehouses. Your payment will be accepted
Shallan really breaks my suspension of disbeliefp