Books to get your wife interested in reading

After inspiration from a previous thread, what are some good books to get a chick into reading if she'd rather watch soaps on Netflix?

How do we get our partners started?

NOT THE GREEKS

Belt her in the face with a set of knuckledusters every time she turns on the TV

I got something right up your alley, OP.

I got 2 of my 3 girlfriends into reading by giving them books with prominent female characters or leads. I used the same 3 books each time. Never let me go by kazuo ishiguro, the virgin suicides by Jeffrey hardtospelllastname and vurt by Jeff noon. Vurt is some pleb sci fi shit but it's really easy to read.

Don't make her if she does not want to. Why did you marry her if you don't like or at least accepted the crap she likes? I would not mind if she doesn't like the same stuff I do at the end I did not get married with her because of that, maybe I did because I love her enough to her and not her characteristics. Get a grip.

How old were they?

And did they start reading on their own after that?

Never Let Me Go also worked for me friendo

Got my girlfriend to read some decent stuff after that, her favorite book is now One Hundred Years of Solitude when it used to be the The Book Thief.

I didn't know any of this stuff before I pulled the trigger on it dude. Chicks can make you think they're one way when they're really another.

Start with funny stuff. Always start with funny stuff if you want to interest an uninterested person. That's the age we live in.

I'd recommend "Headcrash", it's an easy enough thing, damn funny for what it's worth, and a good introduction to cyberpunk in general.

Maybe "Three Men in a Boat", if she's not into internet humour. It slides like a knife through butter, leaving you two hours later with a taste of greatness in your head, and the most stupid grin you've ever had on your face.

>how do we get our partners started?
Marry them already started if it's important to you. It's worked for me, life is pretty comfy.
>live in tiny apartment full of books
>laze around on the weekends reading to each other
>build a new bookcases together to accommodate our combined collections
>debate which copy of Moby-Dick we should keep
>have two copies of Moby-Dick because we don't want to get rid the copy with our respective annotations
I'm insanely lucky. I don't know how this happened.

Proust or divorce

One was 19 and the other was 22. The first one read on her own before but it was all garbage like chicken soup for the soul and after she just read what ever i had LYING around. The second one started reading after that. The third one my current gf is a lazy piece of shit that can't finish a book for the life of her and would rather marathon ru Paul's drag race re runs 24-7 365.

Reading is for pseuds
My wife reads because she's a chuuni pseud
It was cute when she was 14 but it's getting old now

Your wife must be very fat.

Vurt is just awful literature. From the first book to the last, I just couldn't get the sense that Noon just needs to fucking get laid already out of my head.

Wtf I liked it. But I also read it as a teen. Maybe that was why it seemed so good.

tbqh I am the fat one, she's a feeder.

I read it as a teen aswell, a stupid horny 15 year old, jerking to cp I found in some dirty holes of the internet. And it still clicked in my head: This guy needs some fucking help in the getting laid department.
One book is alright, but he wrote like five of them. If that isn't a plea for help, nothing is.

I just liked the shadow cop desu and when that one dude got shot and started exploding colours senpai. Never read pollen or anything else he did.

I mean the base concept of virt is pretty dope, but the way he writes it, and his heroes are just crying out loud that the author is sad, lonely and broke.

Pfff
My fiance nags me whenever I have a ciggie and makes me eat healthier. Why not try and be a good influence on your partner? Nobody is actually gonna flog his wife if she doesnt read what he wants you asp.

Discuss her tastes in plot (via netflix), buy her books she will like, just start reading when together instead of netflix and be interested in what she thinks about the book. I also tell her I think its super hot when she reads (wich I do kind of).

Are you a gay man that got married to a woman too soon? what the fuck is wrong with you that you would think so lowly of your partner that you deduce them to some inferior class of creature?

Like Oscar Wilde once stated, beauty is everything, intelligence is nothing.
If you marry a scary ass hunchback with deep understanding of modern poetry - ten years after, you're still in a marriage with a scary ass hunchback.
If you marry a beautiful dumbo, however, in ten years she could be smart AND still beautiful.

>marrying someone who watches shit on Netflix instead of reading

It's quicker to divorce her and find another than to convince her to read good books

Same problem here. I don't think it can be made to work. I tried twice, first with a couple of stories from Dubliners, then with a few short--and I do mean short--stories by Carver. She read them, thanked me politely then changed the subject when I tried to discuss. Should I try again? She doesn't watch tv but she's addicted to that ghastly rigmarole that is her Facebook feed.

Yeah this is pretty much mine too, although she's trying to cut back on facebook. The thing that sucks is she's not down with me reading in bed sometimes, and not into headphones for netflix... leaving me essentially no escape from noise.

I knew I was going to have to cut back a little when she moved in, I just either didn't realize how much I was reading before or how little I can read now. It's such a great habit for you though I find myself grasping for ways to get back to doing it.

Maybe I'm a shitty husband I don't know.

If this is more about you loving reading than you wanting her to love reading, then can't you just talk your way out?
Ask her if you could have an hour or two for reading in quiet atmosphere?

Wait, there was a third time too: she is somewhat religious but in plebeian way, as she doesn't know anything of theology, she doesn't give the whole God thing too much thought, while at the same time believing all sorts of rubbish superstitions (daily prayers for weight loss complete with standard magic formula and burning of candles--to me it looks as pagan as sacrificing a bull to Zeus). So, I put a nice copy of the Bible in her hands, knowing she wouldn't say no. I told her to start with the NT, specifically with Mark which, for most of you may know may not the most eloquent but is the shortest and most to the point of the gospels. I saw her reading it for about three days in a row and she said she finished Mark and would get on with the rest of the gospels at least but that Bible has been sitting untouched since.
Do you anons, with your vast life and relationship experience that is a hallmark of this website, think there is yet any hope?

You're not a shitty husband. Mine lets me read whenever I have time but I wish I could share my passion with her. I do try to interest myself in gossip and FB ephemera, as some of it may be sometimes of interest to my family, and then there are the news which I have her retell me as I can't stand going there myself.
So what should I try with again? Or should I just give up?

How old is she? What does she enjoy learning about? If she doesnt even like thinking you best just give up. But maybe start with some lower brow stuf user, shit like Harry Potter or Girl on a train are easy and have thrilling plots that might just make her aware of the old almonds.

> NOT THE GREEKS

No, I agree, I think if you're trying to get someone to sink into reading, The Greeks should come later to be honest (and even then, most "normies" are really just interested in The Odyssey).

I'd recommend popular books with literary value, stuff she may have heard of because there's a film adaptation or maybe it's one of those books you hear about in passing. Stuff that's on the Veeky Forums starter kit makes sense, but I'd also say:

Cormac McCarthy's The Road (very accessible and will probably help develop someone's attention span somewhat since it also doesn't have very much "action" happen on its pages)
Yukio Mishima's The Sound of Waves (gently paced youthful romance where the locals manage to get in the way - set on a small japanese island)
Arthur Miller's The Crucible (exciting take on the witch hunt mentality - guilty until proven innocent - very relevant today and offers historical understanding)

Also popular stuff like Alice in Wonderland; Les Enfants Terribles; graphic novels like Maus, Persepolis, Palestine offer political and historical understanding; Wuthering Heights (women love Wuthering Heights for some reason); Lovecraft short stories (most people I know find that Lovecraft was their "in" into reading more literature - Poe, Machen, Shelley, MR James tend to follow).

If she finds something out of that that she would enjoy, then you could recommend more books like that, and then once a healthy reading interest has been developed, that's when you can read The Greeks and begin chin-stroking.

All of those recommendations are very short and accessible, some of them could even be read within a day (although at a pace of 20 pages a day most people could finish them within a week or two).

Hope this helps, my dude. I wish more people would read around me too, but I don't personally mind catching things on Netflix. Bojack Horseman season 4 broke my heart.

Just when it seems like this place has finally made the transition into /pol9k2.0/, one of you married cucks comes along. The thing all of you have in common is that you're so pitiably retarded, I wonder how you managed to trick another human into being partnered with you for "life."
How did YOU get into reading? Start there, and if it's something that doesn't seem like it will work, then just open your fucking mouth and ask her what she would like to read. Consider yourself lucky if it's some James Patterson shit. Make recs based on what shows she likes. Ask her friends what she's into. Doctor Who even has books, if she's one of those.
Or are you subtly asking how to get her into Marx and philosophy?

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

Why would you want her to read? Nothing worse than a woman with opinions. The best women don't read.

What type of cuck do you have to be to want a woman, much less your own beloved wife to read?
I want nu-males to leave NOW

Man, to appreciate Joyce as a novice reader is very unlikely. Carver is easier, but still, the best of it is not easy to appreciate as a novice reader. Why don't you start with something that straddles between good lit and popular lit. Something brisky and short, it'll give her a sense of accomplishment from the get go. Try Murakami or Beauty and Sadness by Kawabata.

I have never had a gf.

let me guess, you're also trying to get her to watch anime, browse /pol/, and play video games too? it's immature to be overly persistent in getting other people to convert to your hobbies. the interesting parts of a relationship come in the differences, not the similarities.

speaking from experience most of my partners have been better read than me, or at least differently but equivalently read. no, maybe they didn't read the classics of sci-fi or postmodernism but they read more of austen and the russian doorstoppers. even then there is overlap. or maybe you're just dating dumb bimbos, i don't know.

Weird. I've always had one. But I've never randomly made out with a chick or had a one night stand. I couldn't imagine getting naked for someone who isn't my girlfriend. Like I would have to shave my pubes and shit. I hate that stuff.

I have never had a gf.

>wife
you nor your wife will never be lit. LEAVE DOG. Fuck your lack of stupidity

I think never let me go is the perfect choice. It's what I used. Pretty easy read for people who are just getting into books but also has a lot to play around with and discuss

most people are never going to see art as more than entertainment.

Don't bother.

>The best women don't read.

Unironically this

Have here check out the Neopolitan quarter by Elena Ferrante.

You made your bed now go lay in it.

Also letting your women read is a bad idea - they get funny ideas.

You probably have low standards

I dunno, maybe Jane Austen or big foot erotica.

You don't. She will never read. Treat her as the pet she is and make sure it's not genetic before making a babby. Bummer: in most cases it's genetic.

You don't gotta shave them, just trim them you animal

>letting your women read is a bad idea - they get funny ideas
Holy fuck, this ideology is off the scales. Why on earth do you think that women shouldn't be able to read? Even if you think they are stupid, that's no reason to deny them the ability to mentally improve themselves.

I think you gotta let them find what they are interested in. My gf is reading pic related and I figure it's better than nothing even if King is shit on as a pop author on this board.

All the pretty horses by McCarthy