Any books about or with Puritans?

Other urls found in this thread:

slatestarcodex.com/2017/02/08/albions-seed-genotyped/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

WE WUZ WITCHFINDERS AND SHIEET NIGGUH

About Puritans: The Scarlet Letter
By Puritans: Perry Miller's The American Puritans

depends on what you're looking for.
most early american literature is about the puritans. William bradford's account of the first few years spent settling comes to mind, and it reads more like a mythological tale rather than an historic journal.

>Wanders into evil OP's path

Every book with Americans up to 21st century.

ITT retards just talk about America and don't know anything about the actual Puritan movement in England

DESU I learned a lot about it by researching stuff related to Solomon Kane, Robert E. Howard's English Puritan swordsman hero. Great stuff.

Because they were a flash in the pan.

Solomon Kane

Recommend the good shit then

The height of Puritan literature is of course Paradise Lost, followed by The Pilgrim's Progress. If you want a novel about Puritans, I'd suggest Witch Wood by James Buchan. It takes place in 17th cent. Scotland, so it isn't exactly Puritan, but it should be close enough.

> ITT retard ignores every suggestion
some user literally recommended William Bradford's journal. how tf can you get any more puritan than that?

People seem to equate Puritanism with the Pilgrims and later New England colonists. There is much more to it than that, of course.

This guy gets it.

Reading the accounts of William Bradford, John Winthrop, and Thomas Morton is quite entertaining, though.

You make a good point about Paradise Lost and The Pilgrim's Progress, but part of the reason why they are so memorable is because they are such idiosyncratic works.

To learn about Puritanism, it would probably be better to read some Puritan preacher's theology and helpful secondary literature. Earlier I recommended Perry Miller's anthology The American Puritans, which has a wide variety of Puritans in a fairly slim book. Each Puritan receives an introduction from Perry Miller who gives a brief bio and summation of the Puritan's thought.

Your earlier post, is also a bit silly. Considering all of the first Puritans were born in England and viewed themselves as English, I don't see why you have to distinguish between American and English Puritanism.

But let's actually ride this thought to its logical conclusion. Let's suppose there really was a distinction between American and English Puritanical thought.

Well, American Puritanism would be much better to read than English Puritanism because they flourished for about 100 years in America while Cromwell's government only lasted a decade. Which tradition, do you reckon, would have a wider variety of Puritanical thought? There have been relatively very few "dissenters" in British literature, however, the vast majority of American literature even today is made by "dissenters." While strictly speaking Puritanism died with the Age of Enlightenment, it certainly shows its influence on American culture and literature today. One need only compare the similarities and differences between Cotton Mather and Benjamin Franklin to see that there wasn't that great of leap in style and attitude from the two ages in America.

I reckon this post might also be you. You're actually pretty much wrong about Puritanism. It was, at first, an English movement that temporarily seized power in England, but flourished for about a century in America. To this day, there's a reason why there's no national church in America but there is in England. That's because we inherited the Puritan legacy.

tl;dr for all my responses: There is no point in making distinctions between American and English Puritanism, but if you arbitrarily made one, American Puritanism is far better to read and become acquainted with.

Good post.

twelfth night.

I first came to love the Puritans when I read the Norton Anthology of American Literature, which has a pretty good selection of their writings. For whole, primary sources, read Of Plymouth Plantation, The History of New England, or Sewall's Diary. Cotton Mather wrote a lot, but he's very dense. For poetry, read Bradstreet, Taylor, and Wigglesworth.

As far as books about the Puritans, Hawthorne is THE writer for coming to grips with that legacy (even if a lot of modern readers misread him in this regard). The Crucible is mostly a meme.

Ayy, you also took an American literature survey course with Norton. Did you major in English? I did, but dropped out to prepare for a STEM major in my junior year.

how come lit never talks about santayana man

Paradife Loft

This work is a classic study.

Pic related is also on a similar theme.

I've always wanted to read Santayana especially after an article I read on him from the New Criterion. He had an interesting life and taught a lot of influential people at Harvard.

bro im about to cop the audiobook of that off audible like rn as a matter of fact

yeah santayana definitely had a patrish lifestyle, i'm surprise more lit ppl dont dig him

I just found an interesting blog post that combines a genetic study with the subject of Albion's Seed. Innarestin stuff.

slatestarcodex.com/2017/02/08/albions-seed-genotyped/

Confessions of a Justified Sinner

Puritans are a too neglected topic.

I agree. I was lucky to have studied with a professor who is an expert in the field. Sadly I dropped out before finishing his course, but I now know where to look should I choose to learn more about them.

Paradise Lost will teach him nothing about Puritanism. Stop shilling for your "country" and read the thread.

I did (or more accurately, I am)