Henryk Sienkiewicz

Was there a greater writer in Polish literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Fire_and_Sword
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paweł_Huelle
youtube.com/watch?v=O3efQ8yXmFg&t=310s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i want to get into polish shit, what's his greatest hit? ill cop it

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Fire_and_Sword

More like Henry Stinkiewicz
Cuz he stinks

Burn yourself, fucking nigger.

Bruno Schulz and almost every modern author from Przybyszewski to Irzykowski. Teodor Parnicki also is a better historical fiction writer.

Bolesław Prus was the greatest
I give the second place to Gombrowicz

this nigger knows his shit
i am translating Irzykowski - The hag as first in english. I will post excerpts for opinions soon
i also want to translate Słowacki - Father of plagued, no translation afaik and this epic poem is wonderfull, great great poetry

Of course, Jan Potocki and Stanislaw Witkiewicz

Reymont

Polish literature is very much neglected in English-speaking countries. Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski (Joseph Conrad) would be unknown, I'm afraid, if he hadn't written in English. His Byzantine prose and stifling psychological portraits disturbed me as a teenager, but I genuinely appreciate them now.

The only Sienkiewicz I've read is "Quo Vadis" - which I did not like at first, but it grew on me. The final act was genuinely thrilling - cathartic. "Solaris" by Lem was mind-boggling, the few stories by Prus I've read were very good. "Pan Tadeusz" by Mickiewicz seemed like an awkward sort of epic to me, but there was fine poetry in it. That unfortunately, is the sum of my experience of Polish literature.

Jan Potocki is french and belongs to tje french literature

Lel Mickiewicz sold just a few copies of Pan Tadeusz. Nobody wanted to read that shit at the time. It's too archaic even for polish literature who never cought up actual literary trends

this guy knows it.

and so does this guy.

obvious bait.

> Prusz
Because of Faraon ?

Don't be rude, user!

Mickiewicz
Slowacki
Krasinski

>t. 14 year old

but Krasinski and his "The Un-Divine Comedy" are pretty mindfucking.
Słowacki and Mickiewicz are pretty much meme poets forced in schools, don't know if there is much value to them because I hate these fuckers. Not my fault though, it's the education system. Only during my studies I started to appreciate them a little bit.
Best poet? Without a shadow of a doubt, pic rel, in the middle. Krzysztof Kamil Baczyński. Great language, so many emotions, contrary to scum Gombrowicz - he is a true hero.

Lesmian is the polish all-time language master though...

haha I fucked pic rel up
sorry

For someone who is learning polish as a foreign language what's some good entry level polish lit?

only poles post in this thread using
english language desperately hopping someone will pay attention to their country

>t. monolingual ape with superiority complex

don't read anything from before the WW2, don't try modern poetry (Tuwim and Miłosz included, the'yre too difficult even for poles).

Stanisław Jerzy Lec and his aphorisms are pretty funny though.

Try reading... maybe theatre? Sławomir Mrożek? Or Tadeusz Borowski's short stories. Tadeusz Konwicki is also welcome.
"Medaliony" by Zofia Nałkowska
what else... Marek Hłasko? Leopold Tyrmand?

oh i was thinking about hlasko. he seems manly as fuck lel.
what do you think about kochanowski? the treny are extremely powerful but the old polish is kind of a bitch to read

Lamentations are emotional, I recently tried Hugo's poems about dead girls.
Fun fact: there are discussions, don't know if serious enough - that Kochanowski could have invented Orszulka (lel) and she never existed. The fact is, when the other daughter died, he wrote just one poem for her. Urszulka was, indeed, his beloved one. I don't know if there are polish-polish translations (old-modern language) like in medieval cases. But you can always try.

I also appreciate this nigga
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paweł_Huelle
Paweł Huelle from Gdańsk. "Who was David Weiser?" is a masterpiece.

youtube.com/watch?v=O3efQ8yXmFg&t=310s
Mickiewicz poetry is comfy af

Mickiewicz is a great tool while fighting against russian oppression.
Look for Gustaw Holoubek's history and the 1967 play by Dejmek. He was screaming deliberately something like "russian dogs" etc. emphasizing anti-russian attitude of Adam Mickiewicz.