Cursive

Do you write your notes/essays in longhand? Why or why not?

fuck no

my time has value

cursive is the fedora of handwriting

yes the quality of my writing goes up when its done with a pen. taking my time and mindfully writing each word engages my brain in a different way than typing.

Learned in grade school, then promptly forgot.
Actual longhand cursive isn't calligraphy user, it's in theory faster than print.

my cursive is pretty beautiful and my regular handwriting is absolutely horrific. For my classes I will sometimes write in cursive but my notebooks are filled with the scrawlings of a madman. I'm trying to get better though because fuck not being able to read your own notes.

Show us your cursive so we can judge you. Harshly.

cursive is more practical than print. how is that fedora?

Is cursive not taught anymore or something? I thought it was mandatory in school. Even if not mandatory, I'd think it to be necessary. School last for twelve years in the U.S., that's a lot of writing. Seems obvious and natural to have a way to write faster.

You're americans, aren't you?

Cursive is an abomination.

I'm in med school and my handwriting has been slowly turning into doctor's handwriting as well because of the volume of the shit I write in my notebooks at sanic speed.
If I used cursive, my handwriting would be fucking indecipherable because all the letters look the fucking same.

If you want slow and legible OR fast and illegible, go cursive.
If you want sanic fast and legible, you need something different. I did it it by making every letter as distinct as possible from the ones that they used to be similar to. Now I can read my shit I wrote a couple of days ago and not go crazy trying to unfuck every second word in my head.

Fuck cursivefags. Cursive is a meme and mistake.

I write notes and journal entries in longhand, but people who don't write essays on a computer are fucking creeps

You american fucks dont know the power of cursive, its fast as fuck

Nothing will ever beat typing in terms of speed

For the record, most Americans learn cursive in elementary school

very true, unless we get some scifi brain connected to computer thing going on

Yes, because it forces me to slow down and think. Also it forces me to edit when I inevitably have to put them on file.
Also its comfy.

r8 my handwriting

American here, can confirm that I personally never learned in elementary school. I've been thinking about trying to teach myself now, should I go for it or is it really just a meme?

Bad picture. From what I could gather, it looks alright

Rate mine, user. I'm the sperg who sperged out about cursive earlier.

Write with your arm, not your fingers. Hold the utensil properly. Adopt proper posture. Cursive is objectively faster and does not result in hand pain or fatigue IF you do these things properly. Cursive was invented to help people write large amounts of text quickly, clearly, painlessly, and for large amounts of time.

I write in cursive because it looks better than my print, and is essentially a requirement to use a fountain pen efficiently. It isn't even hard to learn, I learned it in a couple months of use

Fucking disgusting, no offense

None taken.

I know longhand cursive. They used to teach it in schools in the days before IQs started to plummet from taxpayer-funded dysgenic breeding programs and cultural enrichment. It's much, much faster than "lol I'm pretending to be a printing press" block lettering and it has the added benefit of being indisciperable to idiots. But it isn't fast enough. In my first year of university I learned a shorthand system. Now I can write nearly as fast as I think, faster than I can type (which is blazingly fast), and I can write far faster than anyone talks. I remember as an experiment recording a particular lecture entirely word-for-word while glancing over to see the retard beside me struggling to write a pointform list in block capitals. As a joke I once lent my notes to a quota student who had skipped the lesson. The next class she asked me if I was playing a joke on her. I laughed. I teach university in Asia now and my students are much impressed with my cursive and shorthand skills and the coeds frequently ask me to sign their notebooks.

European here. Cursive was and is compulsory and I was never taught small letter block writing. It was considered useless.

I tried to teach myself block writing but there's really no point.

So many buttblasted amerishits ITT. Just because your deep fried brains can't read cursive it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

On a side note, I'd like to remind everyone that they don't learn cursive in burgerland any longer. It is too difficult for them.

Yes but also taking notes is bad for your memory and your mind.
I'm an Ameriturd and I only write in cursive, we learned it in elementary school.

I guess what I meant is Minnesotans. We're what the rest of you sorry states aspire to.

Is there a nation more ignorant and uncultured?

which system shorthand do you use, and what prevents your shorthand writings from becoming indecipherable for people with bad handwriting?

i was actually taught longhand in burger elementary, but i had to stop when middle school teachers began returning assignments back to me with big fat zeroes. now that i've had decades of longhand practice robbed from me, my block italics are clear and legible while my cursive is in disarray.

modern day post-mao china.

post yfw your longhand will never look this legible or beautiful

Only Merkin's don't write in cursive. It's basically the default in the civilised world.

>legible
>document for ants

What's the point in using cursive when I can write use shorthand?

>thats long hand

Handywrite. It's the best system.

>tfw first to sign your signature and everyone else signs theirs so much smaller making you look like a showboating idiot

Shorthand is besthand.
I use Forkner personally, though.

Americunt here. Learned cursive in elementary school and have been using it ever since -- hence my choice of Forkner for shorthand, as it builds on standard cursive.
It's true that it is no longer taught in most schools here, but private schools (as well as some public districts) do still teach it. My wife is a teacher at a Catholic school, and a slew of cursive worksheets were on display for back to school night just a few days ago.

Granted, this is the first time I'm looking into it but it seems unnecessarily complicated in comparison to Teeline. There's too many accents and punctuation.

>going to the bother to learn a shorthand system
>oh it's still the slowass alphabet

Go for broke.

I have no idea what you're saying.

The alphabet characters are slow to write and not based on actual phonemes. If you're going to go through all the effort of learning a shorthand system, don't bother with one based on the alphabet. Learn one maximized for speed. It will be more difficult to learn but more rewarding in the end.

Eh, use whichever system you prefer, it's no skin off my glans. Forkner may not be the most efficient in speed, but it has minimal startup inertia and cognitive load. I dabbled in Gregg for a few months but ended up dropping it in favor of this simpler system. It suits me just fine.
I do think that Gregg has superior aesthetics, though.

I'm a 25 year old burger and I learned it in school.

Your writing looks disturbingly like my own.

>my time has value
he wrote on a bhutanese ricepaper airplane craft forum

>implying burger education
>implying I can't ??????
>implying it doesn't ???????
>implying Veeky Forums isn't full of pleles¨>meme ovvouis
>IRL

Awful.

What kind of cursive is this called? Looks clean

t. illiterate

Sure, I'm illiterate.