Law and Legal Philosophy

Good morning fellow Veeky Forumsigators. I'm looking for some good books on both general law as well as legal philosophy. Also just a general space to discuss both the law and law school/academic scholarly writings on the subject matter.

Just start with the Greeks and you will develop ideas of your own to consider with regards to law.

Nnot even kidssing

Honestly, user, don't listen to this advice. Please to read some old fucking Greek playwrights for insight into law and legal philosophy. Spend weeks reading Wikipedia pages surrounding contemporary law, and if you're feeling bored with non-fiction, consider exploring those ancient Greeks only to see how far human thought has evolved and progressed. Non-fiction is your friend here. Don't be duped into outdated fiction.

This. A good analogy would be how part of Veeky Forums has at least started to move beyond le start with the greeks meme.

Hey op, i am in my 2nd year of pre law. Should i finish a poli sci degree and apply to a good law school in ontario/quebec, or try my luck at the law college in my province? (SK)

How important is school pedigree?

John Rawls

I'm a bit of an ASS man myself.

>John Rawls

Not OP but don't fall for the top 14 meme.

God I hate phone posters.

What, then? Law grads at my local college only seem able to land jobs in the province, mostly in low end firms.

Why? Does it make you feel weird about not leaving your house ever?

>He hasn't heard of this amazing invention called a laptop

No, he should start with the Babylonians. The Code of Hammurabi n shit

Weirdest insult ever. Do you get out your laptop in between reps at the gym? Hahah, of course not, you don't go to the gym.

you should read the merchent of venice

it's bloom's favorite shakespeare play. seriously.

I've read it before and it was decent. Bloom is alright but his love of Shakespeare is obnoxious and pretentious.

Sweetie this is Veeky Forums. No one outside of /fitlit/ goes to the gym. You probably don't either.

Start with the Summarians.

canada has nothing to do with the T14
also, its not a meme, its how you guarantee a well-paying job

Rawls is less about law itself, it's more about justice, legislation and public policy.

I'm sure Canada has an equivalent of the T14 meme.

Bump

Look at ways to market your degree and skills. Don't assume you'll be directly doing firm work or even stuff that requires a JD/Law Degree.

>myths
>outdated

The Modern Mind is truly in a state of decline.

>He fell for the Greeks meme

Have you even heard of the Flynn effect?

IQ just makes it easier to convince yourself you are right when you are wrong.

Hans Kelsen and Norberto Bobbio.
DO IT.
If I remember the names I forgot I come back to write them.

Not OP but thanks anyways.
Hoping people keep the thread up until then.

Have you heard of the negative Flynn effect?

Add Francesco Carnelutti

The Books of Authority for understanding Common Law in general.
As for US law, what better than the written opinions of SCOTUS justices? Read dissents too. There is also the Restatement of the Law by the American Law Institute
Legal philosophy? Well, aside from opinions you can observe the differences between the Confederate and US Constitutions, read works by the Federalist Society for conservative legal thought, etc.

No, but tell me more.

Ask me in a year, just started my masters in Legal Philosophy and Jurisprudence.

Try to delve into the whole "natural law vs legal positivism" debate, for instance.

The Flynn effect was caused by the removal environmental detriments to childhood brain development.
The 1st world plateaued on that effort decades ago, now those detriments are starting to actually come back in some cases, as well as there being new ones introduced.
And then there's the whole argument around dysgenics.

the first exam for the law major here is about roman law

Where is here?

Can you tell us a bit about it now? I doubt this thread will be up in a year.

What university are you at?

>law
Just end it now, you absolute fucking tool.

A truly horrifying state of decline.

I get to study the backgrounds of various legal disciplines. We delve into the perspective of many philosophers, both contemporary and ancient.

It's a lot of reading and a lot of papers due.

Tell me, how has the law hurt you user? Where did the law touch you?

Tell us more about your program? Sounds interesting and comfy desu. I second whoever asked what University this is at.

>reps at the gym
Go back to /tit/ to talk about muscles you obviously don't need since you go out of your way to develop them.

>don't need
If my vocation is sedentary that means I DO need reps at the gym, you unhealthy fuck. At least you do MENTAL gymnastics while your temple falls down around you.

this

Shouldn't you be at the gym then instead of wasting time posting on Veeky Forums Arnold?

bump

I remember when Veeky Forums used to be a lot slower and this sort of thing was rarely needed.

It's a master at a Dutch university.

Currently writing an essay on Hart's arguments for the separation of law and morals.

start with the romans
and latin

Wouldn't justice/legislation (?!)/public policy all be subsets of law?

Any suggested reading list for these starts with that would focus on the law? This goes for anyone really.

(?!) what did he mean by this?

Which Dutch University?

Sad!

For legal philosophy:
>Han Fei
>Plato
>Aristotle
>Marcus Tullius Cicero
>Thomas Aquinas
>Thomas Hobbes
>Hugo Grotius
>Baron de Montesquieu
>Emmerich de Vattel
>Jeremy Bentham
>Frederic Bastiat
>John Rawls

Any tips for not burning out in the first decade of practice?

Invest in a good fire extinguisher.

bump

> no Ronald Dworkin

Read Law's Empire or Justice in Robes. Dworkin was among the most influential liberal legal philosophers, second only to Rawls.

You can also read Michael Sandel's Justice. It will give you a good perspective of the main issues in legal philosophy with contemporary examples.

For Canada/US/UK: Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England. Still the law, still valuable. Legal philosophy? What's that? Lawyers don't study it nor care about it. Want to know what's going on? Read the advance sheets. They are fascinating.

>He limits the study of the Law to just lawyers

Pretty good choices for the historical context of legal philosophy. Could use more in terms of contemporary work being done.

Seconding this for anyone still keeping this thread going who might be interested.

t. brainlet
His body may be strong but it appears his mind is weak.
>The Captcha made me select images of bridges in order to post this comment/photo combination

Also curious about this.

Too busy watching Trump Judges going through the confirmation process but if this thread is still up tonight I'll probably post some suggestions for everyone.

Read Roberto Mangabeira Unger my dudes!

1. Depends on the country you're in. A civil law system has an extremely different set of philosophies from a system like the US or UK.

2. Buy cheap, old versions of first year law student textbooks for said system. They're meant for laypeople, essentially, and they'll give you a good primer. Usually the notes/non-case-material will give you additional things to look up from there. They're good jumping-off points.

t. American 2L

What school are you at? What did you get on the LSAT and what was your undergraduate GPA? Plans for the future? Any thoughts on clerkships?

1. USA respondent here who will be starting applications in the near future.

2. Suggestions as to what texts to get or where to get them from?

t. Hopefully I'll be an American 2L someday

The only method of staving off the decline of aging on the brain is exercise, dipshit. Strong body, strong mind. Your thinking is as flabby as your tits.

>Assuming that poster has flabby tits or might very well be Chris Christie

bump

rules are for powerless men

Oh look the edgelord hasn't had his mom tell him to go to bed yet!

Tell us more about yourself t. American 2L?

>Nnot even kidssing

I'm interested. Don't leave us hanging.

underrated post

Can someone give me the basic gestalt on these people?

bump

Who?

Sadly opinions, articles, and books by judges are never discussed on the law threads here that much.

How long do us Veeky Forumsigators think RBG has left on the court? Also, any bets on who you think Trump will nominate to replace her?

bump

Thanks for the bumps everyone

SJW detected

this.

>good books on general law

Grant Gilmore, The Ages of American Law - well, it's about American law, not general law, but it's a nice little book by a smart guy who was also a good writer.

Law as Translation - can't remember the author (I think he teaches at Michigan), but it was pretty good. Worth reading.

OW Holmes, Jr, that book with the line about "felt necessities" of the law - title escapes me at the moment - worth a gander.

The Black Swan - by some guy from U of MI, I think. It's not a law book, strictly speaking, but it's a very interesting piece of history about the eugenics movement in the US, including the legal side (Holmes: "Three generations of imbeciles are enough").

White, The Marshall Court and Cultural Change. A phenomenal work of scholarship, filled with interesting insights. If you actually get a hard copy, it's a beautiful example of book production.

Let me know if you fill in some of those blanks man. Those all sound interesting, and for that I am glad the thread has remained this long.

Home... Where is home ?

Damn that is deep.

Home is where the law is made.

bugs. . easy on the carrots.

XD fug bugs

A few months maybe? Probably the south Asian judge he recently elevated?