/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Dead Authors Edition.
>Lucifer's Hammer co-author dies at 84
nytimes.com/2017/09/15/obituaries/jerry-pournelle-science-fiction-novelist-and-computer-guide-dies-at-84.html
>List some post 2000 dead authors
>Gene Wolfe will die in your lifetime

>/SFFG/ Recommendations:
FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previously on SFFG:

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/Ux5vzCV.png
ansible.uk/sfx/top20fsf.html
greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php
forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=453075&hilit=jack dying
castaliahouse.com/
conceptualfiction.com/
tools.wmflabs.org/templatecount/index.php?lang=en&name=Vanchor&namespace=10#bottom
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Vanchor&action=history
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8mLR1IlTeqs
proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Someone bought the Shoreline of Infinity 8.5 for me on a private tracker. Pic related is the Palmer story.

(The last time I read a story this Wikipedia it was the Doctor Who story - The Adventuress of Henrietta Street which was ENTIRELY written like this: i.imgur.com/Ux5vzCV.png )

>handball
is that the future name for handegg?

>tfw I just had to look up handegg
That is some seriously weird murrican terminology.

Just started Tolkien's lord of the rings, I'm surprised it isn't in lit's recommended charts. Anyways what is lit's opinion on the book?

My bad, just saw it

Handegg is Brit.

Oh well it's not like I would know.

Absolute hero, if you've not read this you need to.

You strayan?

Yeah. We call handball handball here and there's Aussie Rules football but they're two different things.

Handegg is merican
In England it's called rugby

Does Redwall still hold up? Feeling kinda nostalgic and I'm thinking of reading them now in my early 30s.

>Maxi Aviator Diáz.
>Not Díaz.

It sure as hell does.

I've been reading the Horus Heresy books for the last 3 months and I'm at book 40 right now. It's been a nice wild ride and they're pretty enjoyable for the most part.

I was a bit skeptic as to wether I'd like em but I am pleasantly surprised. Can be plenty pulpy sometimes but its almost always entertaining.

Read this, definitely enjoyable and would recommend. Good use of the first person, especially for a new writer. Looking forward to finding out war sucks with that kind of mobility; maybe the future automated luxury hedonists are about to rediscover borders.

I did get the feeling that the author is really fucking proud of herself for having written this. It's not off-putting, but the sense of Palmer patting herself on the back at some of the lines written is palpable.

As a debut novel about life in a futuristic society with a novel social structure on the brink of radical transformation through the eyes of a mysterious protagonist, I was reminded pretty strongly of The Golden Age. Mycroft is a better character than Phaethon, but other than that I preferred TGA by a wide margin. The latter had more focus on plot and less on archaeofuturist LARPing.

>book 40
What the fuck man

Different guy, but they started probably before I was in middle school. I'm almost done my uni undergrad degree now, and theyre still coming out. I think mild autism is necessary to read that many.

It's 45 books so far, yea. I'm almost done getting up to speed but they have released up to like 8 books a year of it, like they did in 2016, so there''ll always be a bit more to read.

I enjoy it though, usually when I like a book I'm done with it in like a week and wish there were more, in this case there was plenty more.

Is Kellhus modelled after someone Bakker knows? Like the guy who comes over to fuck his wife?

Why?

Horus Heresy quality drops to zero in the first few books.

Imperial guard books are way better.

I disagree desu, theres a few books I liked more than the first ones throughout the series.

Its all pretty pulpy if you're going by literary standards but most sci fi and fantasy is to some degree anyway.

> (You)
>I disagree desu, theres a few books I liked more than the first ones throughout the series.
Which ones? I dropped it around book 9 or 10. Traitor primarchs were so whiny I couldn't stand it.

Can you read them on their own?

Convincing your girlfriend she's crazy or paranoid is called gaslighting and it's a dick move.

But convincing her she's a robot with artificially implanted human memories and emotions is called bladerunning.
It's a Phillip K. Dick move.

henlo sexy girls ;)

The Unremembered Empire, A Thousand Sons, Angel Exterminatus, Vengeful Spirit, amongst others depending on your taste.

You know how the books go, you can probably read some on their own but you'll probably miss out on some continuity.

I understand dropping around where you did I suppose, given you had recently read the first Dark Angels book which feels a bit unconnected to the story and is kinda dull and Battle for the Abyss which is kinda so as well, followed by an anthology of short stories.

I just have mild autism towards series and I enjoy the lore so I dont mind sitting through a few meh books out of a series of 45 since that kind of writing you can just churn through and doesnt take too long.

I'd say read the synopsis of each book and see what you're interested in reading I suppose, no one is holding a gun to your head.

How does /sffg/ feel about Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

I watched the first episode and couldn't get into it

then again I'm not much of an anime watcher

Whenever the translators couldn't figure out what they were saying they made shit up.

CA translators or chinese bootleg translation.

I watched two episodes. It was dull as dishwater, the characters have the little variation from the same boringly stoic and formal personalities, and the spaceship fights are perfunctory. Maybe you could explain the appeal.

Who else /AlfredBester/ here?
I've read The Stars, My Destination and The Demolished Man and they're two of the most entertaining and invigorating sci-fi novels I've ever read. I also have Computer Connection but I've heard it's not very good so I'm kinda weary about reading it.

Just finished Hyperion. What do I fill my life with now.

Kellhus is modeled after meme magic. (Seriously)

How many fantasy novels read like a Slice of Life anime?

A Wise Man's Fear is pretty much a SoL novel, that's all I can think of tbqh

I mean, you could read the novel versions of animu.
I'd recommend Welcome to the N.H.K. while not fantasy, it's a decent read. and has the saddest afterword fucking ever.

Is there a critic or website that gives a good list of the best fantasy and science fiction? Somebody who is truly knowledgeable about them not a pleb

me, on this site

>The Red Knight
just started this, dropped in like 5 minutes after the main character "seduces" a nun

Nigga this shit is objective. You might find some everyone can agree on shaped the genre, one mans opinion on an evergreen top read is another mans pleb tier entry level shit.

haven't you been keeping up with the GRI memes, son? the Red Knight is GRI-UNAPPROVED.

He doesn't even rape her. It's a shit book. Only interesting thing is the ending with the dragon and I'm sure the author is incompetent enough to fuck up his next book even with that part.

The fae and sun and God magic didn't help either. Because it's the Christian god they are talking about in the novels and he don't allow you mixing pagan shit with his miracles.

Oberstein did nothing wrong.
The ending kinda sucked because the Earthists didn't really have anything interesting going on, but other than that pretty good.
SEIG KAISER REINHART!
SEIG NEUE REICH!

I don't think it was rape either, it just made me drop the book because it was such a lazy attempt to make the main character look "morally ambiguous" and I could guess straight away what he was going to do with the character

I think you mean subjective. Not objective.

I forgot a "not" there, or yeah as you said subjective. My bad.

ansible.uk/sfx/top20fsf.html

It was shitty. Had to force myself to finish it. And the shill back then was waxing poetic about this pile of shit. I was so mad I took time out of my day and made an anti gri pic.

When I finished and confronted him about it, he admits it was "a little shitty" but it gegs better in book 2. Imagine having to read 2 books for something to get gud. He tried to start his shit when book 3 (or 4 can't remember) was released, but got shut down pretty quick.

You can try him. He only does dinosaurs though.
greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Thanks

it's good fuck all y'all

Anyone here read Jack Vance? I don't know where I should start, I'm approaching him from the GW route if that helps you recc anything

Are there any selections that deal with sex in zero-g?

The Dying Earth - short story collection, good enough place to start imo since it doesn't require you to have read anything else by him.

I've read three of the Dying Earth volumes, To Live Forever, Emphyrio, The Last Castle, and two of The Demon Princes novels. They're all at least good, and a couple are great. He can do science fiction, fantasy, revenge novels, planetary romances, dystopias, picaresque adventures. If you're coming from the Wolfe then the first Dying Earth book is the one you want.

I believe Stephen Baxter's Manifold Time had one.

forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=453075&hilit=jack dying

an omnibus of his dying earth stories and novels

read through (or just skip) the first 4 or 5 stories until you reach cugel (at least that's how it was for me)

What the fuck man

what's this?

I don't know mang. I hadn't heard of the series and 40 books of genre schlock sounds right up my alley.

So I checked wikipedia and got that. Does it show up for you if you go to the page?

fugg

Some guy edited some floating template thats on a lot of pages to that. Apparently its been reverted but might still show up for a while.

JonBenet Ramsay is a pretty famous unsolved murder case, but this guy almost certainly didn't do it.

Now it's gone

castaliahouse.com/

conceptualfiction.com/

tools.wmflabs.org/templatecount/index.php?lang=en&name=Vanchor&namespace=10#bottom

it would have only showed up on the 744 pages where this template was used

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Vanchor&action=history

Very Lovecraftian

fall of hyperion

Yeah, I think right now the general theory is that either the parents killed her, or her brother accidentally killed her during horseplay and the parents covered it up.

What's the "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" of books?

Are there any fantasy/sword and sorcery books that arent either super dark, or about the world ending and a group of campions trying to save it? Im just lookong for some light, fun reading for entertainment

Once and Future King worth a read?

I'm kinda afraid that it will be a bit of a drag to read, mainly because I fear the story has been re-told a million times in books and shows and films, that the original story will do little to stay entertaining.

Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser

Skip the first part, the other three are much better.

>Old sci-fi book
>full of predictions that turned out wrong that kinda take you out of it
>modern sci-fi/fantasy book
>basically left wing propaganda.
I mean, I consider myself somewhat left leaning, but can I NOT read a fucking book without it going WYMYN CAN DO ANYTHING in a tone that makes me think: "nigga I didn't say they couldn't, and the way you overcompensate by making your girls super competent makes it seem like you secretly think women can't do shit".

Like the Trudi Canavan books, with her god damn fucking homosexual side-plot which is JUST there to say "gays are ok you dummies!". Literally it's about mages the whole fucking time and suddenly there's a b-plot about how a secretly gay mage is in danger of being found out and losing all his status and becoming an outcast, but this OTHER society of mages would welcome him! Ohhh they don't even care, be gay! it's fine! and it's so.. SO fucking obvious that she entered some pointless fucking social commentary mode.

Not to mention that in what amounts to medieval villages there was a legit reason to hate on homosex. There was a good chance you actually needed the fucking to procreate, by taking suitable partners out of "the pool" you would make the available genepool smaller, increase the change of incest... all that good stuff.

When is my next fix of Sanderson dropping? I'm jonesing hard here.

Oathbringer is released November 14

Also just because I love Sanderson's autism and I saw this when I looked it up:

>2017
June–August: Apocalypse Guard One (Fall 2018 Release)
Early September: Legion 3 (Sometime 2018 Release)
Late September–December: Apocalypse Guard Two (Mid 2019 Release)
Late December: Random Novella

>2018
January–March: Apocalypse Guard Three (Mid 2020 Release)
April–July: Wax and Wayne Four (Series finale, Fall 2019 Release)
August–December: Undecided (Rithmatist 2, maybe?)

>2019
All months: Stormlight Four (Fall 2020 Release)

Luckily he keeps to a schedule.

Yep. Say what you want about him, I like the fact he puts out books on a regular basis.

They are pretty simple books, but still sorta compelling.

>you realise that PKD died at age 53
Goddamn it.

Dick fans

Tonight Electric Dreams starts on the British Channel 4 (proxy it), a ten episode miniseries of a variety of adaptations of Dick's short stories

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8mLR1IlTeqs

Hopefully it won't beg off black mirror too much

is le morte de arthur worth a read?
this is sort of a prequel question to your question

Nice find user.

>The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

I'm just going to hope that someone uploads it

proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php

>I watched two of the weakest episodes in a 110-episode series, it's shit
Nice opinion man.
Try watching "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" and "Overture to a New War". The former is the actual beginning of the series, that was released a couple of months before the series proper. The latter is a higher-budget retelling of the first two episodes which, among other improvements, gives Jean Robert Lapp more scenes, rather than just briefly showing his death as in the series.

So after November I have to wait till 2019 and 2020 to read another one of his books? I will be dead by then. Either by an heroing or dying painfully from organ failure.

I'm on Ep 80 right now. Gonna make it to the end by Thanksgiving.

Write to him (or Peter) and tell him you don't appreciate these non cosmere YA books he putting out recently. Tell him you're okay with rithmatist, but not money grab multiple worlds Reckoner electric boogaloo 2 &3, nor autistic schizophrenic detective 3.

It's supposed to be a cosmere book a year. Sanderson will never complete his masterpiece.

>I did get the feeling that the author is really fucking proud of herself for having written this.

Same, but I'm willing to forgive a lot given the amount of trash that's getting recognized nowadays.

>shill patting himself on the back in multiple samefaggings

Philip K Dick

does sanderson swear in his non-fantasy books? I heard an user say he'd swear if it was an english/earth setting. :joy: