Any literature that helps to cope with depression? Recommend me some

Any literature that helps to cope with depression? Recommend me some.

Get a job. Hard manual labor.

Read the stoics.

Chemical component aside (exercise, eat right, see a psychologist if more help needed there) depression is an ego/expectations problem. To overcome it, you need to get over yourself and focus on what needs to get done in the here and now.

So I recommend Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, and Epictetus. Also "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl.

Thats a meme list, but it works.

I apologize for not contributing anything meaningful, OP, but given your vague specifications and request for content, I'll say only, against my ideal conscious, that you'd be best off reading things that appeal to you most and distract you from the nonsense of day-to-day life. There are few things that would wreck your day as attempts at sincere commitments to "serious" depressive literature or the ilk. I will admit, therefore, since I couldn't feel honest either way, that you should read Ligotti and other pessimistic authors to come to terms sooner than later with the harsh realities of being born.

No, it cures Symptoms but not the cause.

If that's how you really feel, then read Jung. But I have a question for you: are you a layabout/NEET? Because if so, then getting a job isn't just "curing the symptom". A NEET's source of depression is literally their NEEThood.

Idiot.

Only things that help are diet, medication and social support - and medication has nasty side-effects

In the case of neets, leaving their comfort zone does help, but otherwise it's not really useful. I "tried new things" to treat myself based on the recommendation of others, but it's usually just a couple hours of distraction before you find yourself in despair again. After the novelty fades it doesn't even distract.

I'd recommend therapy without medication for a start. I refused meds and I believe I've made the right choice.

your diary desu

Infinite jest

Not "literature", but pic related might interest you. I'm only two chapters in right now so I can't comment on its quality yet but it seems promising

Sometimes the lack of hard manual labour is the cause.

t. person who was awfully depressed during 8 years at uni who now works a rather manual (but definitely blue collar) job with a calm and serene attitude

>snake oil the book

Mein kampf

Okay then. Why is it snake oil?

What job?

Spiritual Exercises is never a bad bet

I'm depressed and was actually thinking about reading IJ even though I haven't wanted to before. There's so many dozens of other books I thought I wanted to read first, but now IJ is calling to me for some reason.

Giving handjobs $2 an hour

Dropping acid and lowering my expectations worked pretty well for me.

Can attest to this not being true. But having money will lead to chances to be free. Then you can begin to figure out why you're not where you want to be, or who you want to be. Given three months with nothing to do and no one to be beholden to, you can start to deprogram yourself or at least become attentive to what depression is to you.

I'd recommend no books. Real conversations are medicine, user. Sorry.

This is the opposite of me. Manual labour gives me no sense of control or power. I think I could handle it if I were farmer or fishermen, but the banality of rote tasks, the absurdity of market culture, makes me realise how disgusting it is being human. I think I liked it better when I was disgusted with logical problems rather then pretending to be happy to be apart of this world. I honestly wish I were calm and not so full of hate, and I work hard to quell it. But am also probably more sober than is currently respectable.

^very helpful, comes with actionable advice. been really helpful in me developing an ability to change mindset, which is (along with chemicals as someone mentioned earlier) is key in dealing w depression

read original version

I can say that this helped me with my anxiety somewhat. Helped ingrain certain thinking patterns.

Be aware that you will basically me consuming a medicalised version of stoic philosophy

unironically infinite jest. that is, if you're suffering from that spiritual sort of depression.
if you've just always been """"chemically"""sad then idk get some pills or kill yourself lmao

poetry
Esenin and Baudelaire
and Kierkegaard's Either/Or

Reverend Stang's Letter to the Depressed Middle-Aged Subgenii..

Honestly? Self-help books. If you don't want to be depressed then they'll help break down reasons for negative thought patterns and offer some useful exercises for overcoming them/your ego.

Fiction doesn't do that because it's not the point of fiction. Fiction might describe depression in detail but it will rarely help you cope unless you - and I might add, mistakenly - believe experiencing the depression of another person is helpful for overcoming your affliction.

I'm currently reading The Chimp Paradox which I'd recommend. I also keep a copy of Don't Sweat The Small Stuff next to my bed and re-read passages every few days.

Good luck.

Stoicism is pointless and empty, especially when you're not an empreor or a person of a high rank.

Going Outside

Who is the author on that user?

I wish you wusses would stop whining about your unhappiness. I'm really fed up with it. Pour yourself a scotch and pull yourself together.

>pour yourself a scotch

But alcohol is a depressant.

>stop trying to address your problems and just drink until you don't even know what a problem is lmao

>Pour yourself a scotch

The Humans - Matt Haig.

japanese little girl cartoons
the sooner you stop caring about what other people think of you, the better

Reading a book won't solve anything

I was depressed throughout college. I hated it but always feared that working blue collar would just be wasting my potential as an intellectual etc. my ego said I was an intellectual and expectations of being forced to manual labor or failing to get a good job after college was my problem.

I killed my pride, ego and fears after 2 years and dropped out because I needed change. I got a job in the restaurant business and it's the best decision I ever made. My colleges are nice, I can handle stress very well and my confidence is really high now after working there for one year. Find the source of your depression and do whatever it is you fear

To add to this in a more lit related manner, Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Power of Now were really helpful for me while I was depressed

Siddhartha is my feel good short read.I really can't read anything lengthy or extremely philosophical when I'm feeling depressed, too much brain fog.

>being exposed to new ideas and learning how to fix your life won't solve anything

Was gonna recommend mdma. But yes. Tried lsd once and mdma once. Both drugs are more potent fixes than any other one thing i'd say.

Don't make a habit of it as a 'cure' though that'll fuck you up. Do your research first.

>Read a new idea
>Put the book down because it doesn't agree with you

Depression is a mere middle point between the normaloid sheep status and the finally blackpilled status. I am struggling with it as well. My recommendations would be Nietzsche, Plato, Sartre and Cioran as authors, and Notes from the Underground and the cliche 1984 as books.

yeah this is very good book, and logical.

Your role in a social body is the only way to manufacture meaning (other than religious) to be quite honest.
Get involved, or get lost.

>read jung
t. brainlet

Bump