Virginia Woolf is trash

Anyone else find this book absolutely boring, pretentious and poorly written? I have no clue why it's assumed to be good literature. I'd venture to say it's only because it was written by a woman. If a man wrote this, no one would read it. Literary affirmative action has given this book the reputation it has and nothing more. This book is repulsively dull.

you are trash, and your life is repulsively dull
cease to exist, nobody will notice

kys

this, basically. don't even try to come back this, OP. don't say "taste is subjective". you objectively have bad taste and literature is not for you. go back to video games

remember when it was middlemarch but then they realized they didn't know enough about middlemarch to do more than say cuck a bunch of times
next it will be rowling

Explain how the book is objectively good.

I can give reasons why I don't like it.

> Stream-of-consciousness makes for bad story telling.
> Abuse of semi-colons makes for bad story telling.
> Lack of plot and uninteresting characters makes for bad story telling.
> Literary cliches and try-hard metaphors makes for bad story telling.

The writing is jolting at times. The prose is dried-up. It is, on the whole, trash.

nice teen spacing redditbro

The only writers to ever do anything interesting with stream of consciousness might be Proust and Joyce. Apart from that, no one has ever been able to handle such a dull narrative style and Woolf is a testament to everything a writer should not do.

kill yourself, manchild.

Lots of butthurt in this thread.

Neck yourself

threads like this makes me want to see this board fucking die

guys like OP are worst than the worst review in goodreads

im buthurt

>To the Lighthouse is poorly written
The absolute state of Veeky Forums, ladies and gentlemen

Still lots of butthurt. No one providing any argument for why the book is good. Just ad hominem after ad hominem.

If you like the book, please give your reasons why and try to explain thoughtfully why it isn't as bad as I think it is.

why don't you, wait a sec, why.don't.you.neck.yourself?

SEETHING

>why it isn't as bad as I think it is.
Because you're an illiterate mongrel.

no u

Screencapped for the next goodreads cringe thread

>If a man wrote this, no one would read it.
A man could not have written it.

im seething

u mom gay

So far, no one has defended her prose. Just a bunch of ad hominems. Kind of shameful and it affirms my suspicion that she is a trash writer and unsurprisingly has a bunch of trash fans.

u mom gay

All female writers are shit m8, when we say a female writer is good we mean comparatively considering she has a vagina, she still doesn't measure up to a mediocre male writer

This, but unironically

Reading women is for cucks.

he can't into platonic form or basic calculus memes

Boring and sometimes pretentious, sure... but it's written fine. I even enjoyed some of the floral masturbation. But it's not for me.

There's nothing to refute because you haven't provided any substantive criticism of the work. Just saying

>hurr style make bad story

isn't enough to warrant a meaningful response. To the Lighthouse is one of the premier achievements of modernist fiction because of everything you dislike about it. The immediacy of the language which can move from micro to macrocosm without the point of transition ever becoming noticeable; the flawless depiction of the ravages of time upon the body and mind and all human hope, toil, and expectation; it's poetic push toward the outer limits of language and the expansion of possible expression within the novel as a discursive object and literary form... To the Lighthouse is fucking brilliant. I legitimately feel bad for you that you got so little out of the text, because it is her masterpiece.

trolled epically

No but I read Mrs. Dalloway and it is a steaming pile of dogshit.
The concept is intriguing, but the execution is awful.

Modernism is the worst thing to ever happen to literature.

I didn't think it was so much pretentious as utterly boring and unengaging.

I've plowed through other books before but this and Under the Volcano are the only two books so far I went "nope" and put them down to never pick back up.

>objectively good
>objectively
lol

You have to read Eliot to understand TTL

t. brainlet