Veeky Forums cities

What cities would you say would give me the greatest chance of meeting like minded people but still be interesting enough to always have something to see or learn. I'm moving from the northern Bay Area to San Diego for university and even though it's beautiful I'm worried about the culture down there. Even though they complain about prices it seems very cheap compared to the bay

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GjpI6tmIQco
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Paris, Prague, Venice maybe. Depends what you mean by 'like minded'.

Idk, I'm worried I'm gonna come off as a pretentious ass when I'm in San Diego, never felt this way about other cities I've been too. It seems like a giant frat house and has no real cultural value desu, cities that have that is what I mean. At least the women will be hot

>Paris
The only people you'll meet in Paris are niggers and dickheads.

Londonistan
Jew York City

I live in San Diego and I went to Berkeley for university. SoCal is better in every way imaginable than the Bay Area. If you really want to be near high culture, then you should be considering a move to NYC or London, not San Diego. Paris is not what it used to be.

New York City is the only correct answer, and even that scene is dying out.

Philly, DC, even Richmond are all preferable if one actually writes.

>DC

How is D.C. better? It is expensive and kinda stale, tbqh.

Unless you're into politics or fucking a politician.

>Philly
Hell yeah man. Tell me about Richmond though, I've never been

Lit cities in the 'New' world... Come to Europe my friend.

>Richmond
>As of the2010 United States Census, there were 204,214 people residing in the city. 50.6% wereBlack or African American, 40.8%White, 5.0%Asian

Nigga what. I mean tell me about the culture in Richmond

Ann Arbor Michigan

Paris
>spoiled french brats
>niggers literally everywhere
>muslim hoards

Prague
>poorass cheap makeup Czech whores everywhere
>British tourists and stud parties
>German bachelor parties

Venice
>literally going to die in the next ten years due to excessive tourism

Memphis is a great city to live in if you want to write about filth.

That keeps (you) on your toes. That's vitality, bitch.

cheap whores are Veeky Forums as fuck

They still blow up that giant Jack-o-Lantern on Mud Island every Fall? Memphis does have something. Beal St. used to be one of the grittiest tourist traps in the entire nation not too long ago, but haven't been in awhile.

>Venice
Unfortunately it's being ruined by shitty policies and excessive tourism.

where do Veeky Forumserati gather in Philly?
there are some decent bookstores and the city definitely has culture but i cant say that ive met anyone who i would call a man of letters

I want to live in a sleepy little town in Japan populated by nice people.

Any recommendations?

City of birds, it's a cool place. VCU has one of the better fine art dept's in the country (was #1 for sculpture not too long ago) so that's a draw. Some good used bookshops and I've met plenty of legit readers. Bi-sects the route from Charlottesville to Williamsburg. Though more of it's ugly, enough of its quaint. I really liked living there.

Once dwelt in the Foggy Bottom environs while my sister moved from Park Slope to 8th and 52nd Mannahatta and I had a much better time doing my thing than she had doing hers. We'd visit back and forth and the better times were almost exclusively in the District.

Think they still do it. Beale is still a pretty gritty spot, downtown in general is getting better but still fairly dangerous.

Nice to see Richmond mentioned here. I attended VCU and received most of my education from the city. Not sure if I'd even be what I am now if not for my experiences there. Good, sincere people there and exceptional in comparison to what else you can find on the East Coast.

I live close to DC now and went there a few weeks ago but found it littered with licentiates and homeless people. Was I in the wrong area? If you give me somewhere to go, I'll check it out. Looking for inspirational people.

ITT: romanticizing

You'll be alone wherever you go.

Life isn't Midnight In Paris.

In the us at least you're probably better off in the college towns. Berkeleys too damn expensive and full of antifa trash and thought police but places like Austin or Charlottesville or Athens Georgia have arts scenes

Surprised noone's mentioned Saint Petersburg yet. Stayed over at a girl's house for a week on Nevsky Prospect just by the Palace square. The wealthy adolescent culture was the embodiment of Veeky Forums without all the useless crap. I've never felt so culturally content as when I stayed over at Nevsky.

I've been looking for a job there for a while and am hoping to find one by the end of the year. Not surprised that no one mentioned it here though, it's not casually brought up in pop culture like other places people associate with the arts.

You can easily find a low-end job at a kiosk or "Malenkij magasin". You know where they sell tobacco to basically anyone. Pretty sure at least half the guys at those stores were Uzbeks or some other immigrants.

Given that you know the language, it shouldn't be a burden to find a job.

Meme answers: Reykjavik, Saint Petersburg, Katmandu, Goa, Berlin, Buenos Aires, Tangier, Havanna, Tokyo, Damascus, Tel-Aviv, Dublin, Odessa, Florence, Muscat, Ürümqi, Bangkok, New Orleans, Portland the list could go on

Correct answer: New York

Fuck you, gonna watch that flick and fall asleep.

How is Seattle or Portland?

>ctrl-F Chicago
>0 results
Good.

Rural life is Veeky Forums
City life is not

I'm flattered that you assume I know the language, but I don't. Because of that, I think the only thing I can do there is teach English and eventually something more interesting if I learn the language and want to live there for a while.

The cars and lights outside appear to be on the right point to melancholic full heart cuddle, but here I am watching pulp fiction scenes by own.
I wonder why is this happening, is it due to my lack of action towards girls in this city? of course, I'm sick of knowing that.. the problem is, since I've experienced the strongest love of my life in golden days that crushed me, I genuinely believe that I'll never be able to achieve that. Tho I'll never know if I try.
I will start a random girl that fits the minimum standards for a nice cuddle. Otherwise this year in college will be empty deep down

NY? Really? Isn't it full of pretentious SJW hipsters?

Living in Richmond unironically made me racist

this

trash

>a sleepy little town in Japan populated by nice people.
You're a gaijin so you'll never find that.

Seconding these anons. I'm attending UVA, but I wish VCU had the programs I want. Richmond is such a nice city, I love visiting

It's comfy rainy sort of hell. It would be fine if the people were different and the rent was less.

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Why not?

My experience: Practically all Eastern European capital cities, Nairobi, Dublin, Belfast, Vienna
People who answer memes like New York City, London, Paris, and the rest, probably only holidayed in these places for a week. All art is being hollowed out of these cities, sadly, only preexisting creations will remain, talent is going elsewhere.

I'm from London, btw.

>New York
If you make over 200k a year maybe. The New York has no art.

I'm building the next big literary circle in Knoxville, come if you want

new orleans
providence
montreal
portland (maine)
mexico city
lima
shanghai

My man, you here too?

>tfw Texan
>tfw our only major city that's even close to literary is Austin, and it's all just hippies and brats from California these days

I live in Dallas right now. It's actually pretty nice, and the culture scene isn't bad, but it sure isn't literary.

>
>
Can I ask what you all enjoyed so much about Richmond? I'm a current VCU student and have been finding the place hard to like..somewhat of a dirty city and busting at the seams from overcrowding.

I just told you. In Tokyo and bigger cities in Japan, they don't mind foreigners generally, but in smaller towns, they live in communities that don't favor having gaijin around. Many Weebs have made this mistake.

One fair Saturday morning soon put a book in your pack and urban-hike out to Belle Isle. There's actually plenty to do in Richmond, lots of music, some good used bookshops (Black Swan comes to mind- antedates the Taleb title btw), restautants, etc. The key of course is meeting people. There ARE Veeky Forums folks in Richmond, btbh I have (you) by a decade and this may not hold for the undergrad populace.

Oxford or Cambridge

Eternally

Holds in the states as well, though the Oxford be in Mississippi, and the Cambridge of course in MA.

tbqh any city that isn't a mecca of publishing or a graduate writing haven isn't going to be that Veeky Forums. I've lived in Philly all my life and the most literary events I've been to have been slam poetry related. Been to lots of other great historical/architectural/scientific lectures though.

Oddly, up until about ww2 Philly was THE mecca of publishing in the states. Before my great uncle died he wrote about a 20pp recollection of his life and one of his memories as a kid was when the publishing companies began to abandone Philly, how heartbreaking it was, etc. It had been THE city of the arts in this country really from close to its beginning up until at least the 30's, and still a great city- perhaps second only to Boston in the U.S.- for higher education. Ever been to any of the venues at the Academy of Music? The stage at the Opera House there was made out of tall ships wood over 100 yrs old at the time of its construction, and the House itself is the oldest continually functioning one in the country. Philly has of recent made a kind of comeback, especially in terms of music, and despite the paucity of literary events is now and becoming moreso a city with a relativity noticeable population of readers. That's been my experience though I don't live there now.
>from an old Philly German\Quaker family.

Cracov
Prague
New York
San Francisco
Lyon
Vienna fucking Vienna fuckers

>people were different
What's wrong with the people?

If telecom and the wealth surrounding it has killed a city, that city is San Francisco.

>Rotterdam

Have weed erryday, good poetry scene, if you go south of the river chance to have adventures that will certainly give you something to write about and win some prizes.
Chance to unfagor go full bara by doing proper work

But what would they do?

>poorass cheap makeup Czech whores everywhere

that sounds amazing tho

Sao Paulo.

inb4 sopa de macaco

>can't walk outside after dark without getting robbed and/or murdered
>all homes have to be barred and walled off or you're getting robbed and/or murdered
>if driving, can't stop at red lights after dark because you can get robbed and/or murdered
>if getting robbed and/or murdered, can't call police because they'll be just as likely to rob and/or murder you
Well, if there is a library or two, sure.

Israel has a highly Veeky Forums feel to it. The high concentration of folklore, the "Promised Land" landscapes, the sea and the religious buildings, the ongoing aeons-old conflicts ...

What's lit about Vienna?

Trieste

London is the only real Veeky Forums city. Nowhere else produces greater literature per capita.

Center of a once culturally dominant, dead Empire

New York is nothing compared to London

How can Americans even compete?

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

The Patrician's Choice

>t.never been to Paris

Both are shitholes now because of jews.

well Paris lost its charm from 19th century.

There is no place on earth more inspiring to literary minds than the Japanese countryside

pls make a moving gif of that image, I wanna see the wind and the grass moving

What the fuck do you consider San Antonio, man?

Never gone to a lecture at Trinity? Never listened to a slam at the Pearl? Never drank at any of the dives on the Walk?

If you don't mind getting freak stares every time you walk outside and the smell of fish stuck a hundred feet up your nose.

Lol, what about the twenties? Haven't you seen Midnight in Paris?
Pleb

Have been to Paris, found niggers and dickheads.

Would not recommend.

>mfw anyone in this thread says ANYWHERE in Europe

youtube.com/watch?v=GjpI6tmIQco

London would be nice if it wasn't so fucking expensive.

That's hyperbolic user.
But yeah, it's dangerous. It's still the cultural hub of South America though, if OP had asked for great living standards I'd mention some medium-sized Scandinavian haven.

How can culture thrive in a society that's so murderous?

>muslims, slavs and americans
no thanks

>mfw no one knows how lit Santa Fe is

what's more lit than working part time in a gallery selling mexican modernist art and having a qt gf who goes to st. john's college to discuss the western canon with on your way to a sweat lodge in the desert?

water tastes like shit though tbf

ever since the eiffel tower was built to be h

The white people bunker down in the south, Sao Paulo is run by jews and their mostly European go-getter slaves, and the really out of control crime is in the north. Brazil is what the west will look like if whites don't start dealing with our jewish problem and sending people back.

>Unbearably hot for seven months
>Unbearably cold for five months

No thanks, queer.

>unbearably hot for 7 months
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha what a dumbass

BSk is the most Veeky Forums of climates

>But it's a dry heat!

Fuck off

>unbearably hot for 7 months

it's never over 90, much less for 7 months of the year, just stop posting hahahahaha

>ctrl-f 'boston'
>0 results