Who is his British equivalent?

Who is the British equivalent of Cormac McCarthy?

By that I mean:
>active only throughout the second half of the 20th century and onwards
>setting is his/her nation, and especially the less urban parts of his/her nation

Nobody? All of my extracurricular Veeky Forums has been 20th-21st century American Veeky Forums, so I'd like to read things from across the pond like authors I have really loved.

desu will self in a more pretentious way is a mccarthy equiv

This is a good choice ... maybe Roddy Doyle too (he's Irish tho)? It's a tough question because Carmat McCorncob is so distinctive

Will check him out, thanks!

And Irish definitely counts, so I'll look into him too. I guess I'm not looking for pure parallels, but more similar spirits
>rural/ex-urban settings
>gritty subjects

Yeah Roddy Doyle.

You also might want to check out The Butcher Boy, also Irish. Super gritty, super rural.

Doesn't fit your criteria, but pic had a stab had mimicking McCarthy (who in turn ripped off Samuel Chamberlain) with a British setting.

Outta my way literary fucking shits

Patrick Kavanagh doesn't fit either of your criteria, but him.

>Nobody?
Oh, boy.. Easy on the burgers..

Did Kavanagh even write novels?

He did

Huh an abhaith

Whatever you say, my Hibernian friend

I'm not big on McCarthy, but your criteria doesn't work because the Brits haven't written much (if anything) worth reading since the War ended.

the answer is DH Lawrence but your stupid corollaries ruined this perfect answer.

bump, interested in this as well.

Joyce, kind of?

My dude...there are more constructive ways of saying I don't know what I'm talking about like and . I also said that I know next to diddly-squat about British fiction in the 20th century, but I've read LCL and am glad to take any further recommendations on DHL

That's actually quite difficult because English literature since WW2 is very London centric (Jesus Christm don't read Will Self, he is a Londoner and hates the rest of the UK)

Anthony Burgess and William Golding are the ones who come to mind the most, a lot of their novels are history pieces like McCarthy and deal with violence and other similar themes and the less urban parts of Britain

That's one of his worst books. Try sons and lovers.

Brits are too gay and cucked to have an equivalent.

Just the soft southern twats. Unfortunately the majority of contemporary writers fit that description and they've never lived anything other than soft twat lives so youll hardly hear anything written about hard backwards northeners and their bleak dreary lives.