Can a person be TOO wise?

At what point do you know it's time to quit gangbanging them books?
I dropped out of college 5 years ago and in choosing this I accepted the stigma that goes with being a drop out. People treat you different once you tell them you're not a student.

I've always been studious. I read and I write practically all day long. I'm fortunate enough to have landed a full-time job that allows me to sit and read, which is what I would be doing regardless, and I've been at it for two years now.

My primary resources are the courses from The Teaching Company, as my library has literally thousands. That being said, here's my dilemma: part of why I do this, aside from the enjoyment of lifelong learning, is that it makes me feel like I'm going into an place where others can't follow. Becoming more 'unrelatable', if that makes sense. Which is fine, but also it worries me because of my natural inclination to withdraw.

Normally this would cause a person's social skills to plummet. But I've come to a point where I can keep the person entertained long enough to excuse myself accordingly, this just comes with age. No room mates, I pay my own rate and rely on nobody. But I've also never in my life made another person happy, and it's beginning to catch up to me. I'd go to /adv/ for this, but I want to know if anybody of a literary mind can relate. I'd go to the few friends I have but not one of them reads, they either don't work, or labor is their life.

tl;dr

>be me
>be 25 (soon)
>to study is my hobby
>recognize bio-evolutionary gap in me that all the books and music in the world cannot fill
>what do

yeah, you're too smart at 25, man.

rent* not rate

I've seen what dropping out of school does to people. How one becomes embittered and resentful after years and years of being worked to the bone. I think most of us know at least a few who are like that.

You are full of ressentiment yourself, bucko.
Also, it's too late for you to find someone. You sound autistic

Resentment is to be expected, I did say that I work.

Perhaps it is too late, I'm not in the habit of thinking in absolutes. At least, I try not to.

I was examined for autism (depression when younger) but came up negative. I regard myself as though I were aspie. It's easy to choose the right questions on the test they made me take, and therapists can be incompetent.

>Can a person be TOO wise?
>at not even 25

lmao

seriously though, maybe join a book club or something where your interests are shared by other people

the older you get the more refined (and niche) your interests tend to become

just have to look around

I've met wise kids. Don't think they stay that way after their puberty, but alas.

>at what point do you know it's time to quit gangbanging them books?

When you begin to disregard the people around you. If this is the norm for you, then try to realize that a person is more complicated and (possibly) more interesting than any book could ever be.

well, not most people, but certainly me.

Any downsides to reading the whole of Aquinas's Summa? How about the Western Canon of 'Great Books'. Provided that a person can understand what their reading, there has to be a likelihood that the person cause irreparable ontological harm. Some people do read heavily, but I wouldn't want to end up like the three-eyed raven and shit either.

?*
they're*

Sorry, it's a habit.

some breakthroughs you will experience on your way to ultimate wisdom will be irredeemable and might cause you to live in a tree and turn into a chinese wizard. this is why every ten books you read you should ask an imageboard for advice.
if this is pasta, however, 8/8 m8.

>It's easy to choose the right questions on the test they made me take

I've got bad news my senpai

You need an occupation involving manual labor of some sort, such as carpentry, gardening, landscaping, or construction.

Physical activity has an important ability to take you out of your head. It's possible to stuff your head with so much rarified learning that you render yourself virtually useless.

Finding practical purposes for yourself is key to a man's mental health.

Socrates, Cicero, and Cato were too wise.

OP!, look! A rare glimpse at good advice outside of its natural habitat--do take note.

Don't wanna end up like them either.

What, immortal?

Socrates knew his life would be a short one if entered politics. That's why he chose the private life instead of a public one.

No, a person can't be too wise.

Can the things that a person learns make them bitter and world weary? Can it make it difficult for a person to relate to those around them? Can it make them feel lonely in a room full of people?

Yes, knowledge and wisdom can come with baggage. They can make you miserable, melancholic, they can make it seem like living day to day is nothing more than a chore. They can make it hard to relate to people and even harder to engage with them.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't still appreciate the little things if you're well learned and well studied. It doesn't mean that you can't enjoy trivial pursuits and it doesn't mean that you can't engage with people and build meaningful relationships with them. In the end these things simply change the equation, they make you a different person who interacts with and understands the world around them, and the people in that world, diffrently.

Consider what you want carefully. The things you want now are likley different than they were a few years ago, much the same as they are likley different than the things you wanted when you were a child. Consider these things and adjust your goals and expectations accordingly.

>not reading Veeky Forumserature and philosophy to powerlevel your intelligence and wisdom so that you can metagame as a wizard and get money and pussy and smoke dank all day

Nothing is less interesting than conceit.

Don't confuse knowledge for wisdom. And don't confuse knowledge of what is written for knowledge of what is. First understand that words are themselves abstract symbols for reality, and are not reality itself. Then you can start to see reality is far more interesting than what is written about it, and what is written is only interesting so much as it illuminates something in reality which you could not see before. You cannot build a house without moving dirt and laying stone. To know all the names of structures and tools and techniques is not to know how to build a house, not until you have seen and done.

You can only be so wise without bringing your thoughts out to others. You're crippling yourself mentally by not talking to people.

OP butthurt

>25 is too late for you to find someone.

This isn't an anime

Reading makes you smart, not wise. It's up to you to turn knowledge into wisdom.
Someone who is truly wise would not have this problem. That should be obvious, not sure why nobody has said it yet.

This is bullshit 9/10 times. Most people are vapid, at least in America. What do you think a shitty culture and education system is going to produce other than dull minds?

Good advice, or at least play a sport. You can get into tennis at your age, for instance.

>This is bullshit 9/10 times. Most people are vapid, at least in America. What do you think a shitty culture and education system is going to produce other than dull minds?
Weird, I'm constantly surprised by how many deep men and women I run into. Maybe it's because I actually put effort into myself so kindred spirits end up gravitating towards me. Birds of a feather and all that.

Where did you go to college? Probably not a top ten school.

I dropped out, and no it wasn't a top ten school (cringed pretty hard at that, mate). But I do work for Harvard Law, Harvard Business, Stanford, and the UCs at times for editing purposes, and granted I don't have access to them one-one-one usually, I see very little metaphysical depth coming from their minds, and they all parrot the same mainstream political/philosophical beliefs. These places might be coming up with advances in technology, but as for advancing the essence of what it means to be a human or exploring in the intellectual sense? No way - just the opposite in fact.

We can also have different standards on what it means to be a deep person. Mine are pretty high for myself, and so naturally they would be higher for others as well. My distinction would be the basic: Do they question things about their internal reality and the external world? I just find most people don't, and I get along with pretty much everybody and they open up to me easily. I like people in general. I just don't find many that actually think much at all.

I'm not OP, btw. I just didn't finish school like him. It was too boring. I traveled instead and worked online.