Why are so many books so boring?

>have nothing to do at work
>start reading crime and punishment
>it's boring

Why is it so damn boring? Did people have much lower standards for what counts as entertaining? Or maybe it was serialised in a faggy 19th century literary magazine, so it's the older equivalent of modern literary schlock nobody cares about today but which is promoted by academia fags?

I read it many years ago in the Garnett translation and thought it was really meh. The second time I read it in the PV translation and quickly got bored and gave up. I read the brothers Karamazov for the pseud cred and was bored as well.

its because movies and videogames they changed ur mind

You're a brainlet.

>start reading
>fall asleep
>wake up
>forget what I'd read

Is drinking coffee the only way to avoid this?

One day I will fulfill my dream of tar-and-feathering every filthy goddamn frogposter in the world

You're not going to do that.

You're mum isn't going to not get fucked by me, frogboy

I fucking hate reading tbqh but I don't want people to think I'm stupid and I feel as though my persona needs to cultivate an intellectual hobby

This is what happens when a /pol/ack tries to read. Perhaps you're on the wrong board?

Well what are you doing here?

do you hate reading as well? I explained it in the second half of my post you brainlet redditor.

I hope a frenchman eats your fucking legs, frog

>pseud cred

Why haven't you killed yourself yet, Britbong poster?

I'm not even being facetious in asking this. I'm really not.

Why haven't you jumped off a bridge yet? You are clearly dissatisfied with life, and everything you do brings you more unhappiness. Killing yourself will finally end your suffering and let you be free from cares about "pseud cred".

I thought Crime and punishment was very entertaining when i read it
It had fit my frame of mind on the time, Notes of the underground as well
Brothers karamazov not so much tho

>I feel as though my persona needs to cultivate an intellectual hobby
Kek. Is that how you think intelligent people speak? Keep trying, it's what you do best.

>brainlet redditor
>look guys! i talk just like one of you plz accept me

>all this projection
LMAOing at u my man

quiet bitch!

>LMAOing at u my man
Number of people convinced of this...

Now, go and find someone who will teach you to read. "Cultivate" your "persona," "my man".

>being this butthurt when someone doesn't play along with you that reading isn't boring on this American pedophile honeypot forum
autism

Everything is boring

I feel you OP. I recommend you read Great Expectations instead.

You literally "think" in clichés, it's incredible.

That's called depression, mate.

>This is what happens when a /pol/ack tries to read.
Sorry but what the fuck are you talking about? Pol has a reputation for being *the* Veeky Forums board, and for good reason. It's home to some of the most intelligent people and discussions on the site. Sure, I concede that sometimes the memes can get a little silly and the shills are a constant battle. But perhaps you'd understand that if you actually visited. Until then, you're in the hands of (((them))). We are constantly trying to convince you on here, but you just get butthurt.

you sound like the physical manifestation of some loser's inner demons!

yes, yes, stay on the superior board, thanks

>Sorry but what the fuck are you talking about? Pol has a reputation for being *the* Veeky Forums board, and for good reason. It's home to some of the most intelligent people and discussions on the site.
Oh, you.

>getting b8ed into responding this many times
embarrassed for you tbqh

they are tenfold better than animuposters trust me

>meme responses
Thanks for proving my point

Fuck this, I'm going back to /pol/ where I can have intelligent conversations.

Pseuds.

We were laughing at your joke. Most people would consider that a compliment.

Weebs are among the best posters.

I'm not sure if this is because the rest of Veeky Forums has just gotten so bad over the years that weebs seem high-tier now.

One of my favorite shows

Try this, OP.

Weebs developed discernment because they've stuck here for years, they no longer sit on /b/ and /a/ all day but browse multiple boards and learn / read constantly.

A lot of weebs that stuck for years changed their lives entirely, started to eat, live healthy, work their bodies and so on.

i thought it was boring as fuck as well but i have aphantasia so i've pretty much quit reading fiction altogether.

Join us over at /sffg/

We read for pleasure. None of that "Hurrr Durrr 19th century novels are amazing" pretend shit over there.

Furnish your mind with pleasure.

Enjoy being a pleb.

Enjoy being a pseud.

It's not about that. All great things in life require perseverance. If you only go for the low hanging fruit, how can you expect to live life to its fullest? Sure you can go read your shitty sci-fi that is no different to other shitty escapism entertainment, or you can challenge yourself and become a better man because of it.

Go back to read-it.

>Classical lit is for pseuds
Talk about projecting

I like reading boring books, it's meditative.

Filthy dumb frog poster.

>tfw Veeky Forums was the best thing that ever happened to me
It's an abstract kind of feel.

>crime and punishment
>boring
pick one

>why is hysterical, sentimental Christian moralizing written by a Russian not interesting
Truly a question for the ages.

Probably because you actually don't know how to read; not in the sense that you're illiterate, but that you're incapable of interpreting words on a page the same way you do by absorbing TV, internet videos, and video games - in other words, and all of this likely boils down to the fact that you came here from /pol/ and thought that reading the first meme book you saw would magically turn you into an intellectual. That's not quite how that works.

You're just not ready and that's the truth of it. Sometimes it takes growing up to really be able to handle a book. You have to have a certain IQ and EQ to be able to really take something meaningful away from these things.

No shame though. I've been there. You're probably just young.

how old is young to get this book? i read it at 19 and couldn't grasp much from it.

OP here. Not trying to troll but I did very well in education and have many previous books.

I am also smart enough to realise that there are infinitely many possible extrapolations (or insights, as you would call them) that can be made from any book and the selection of these extrapolations as worthy rests on vague, arbitrary, and infinitely many criteria. And I realise that people get insulted for pointing this out. And I realise that for all the defence of Literary Theory, it has never given anyone the power to write better books.

Crime and Punishment? Not a complicated book. Genuine plebs read it. Not saying the book is bad, probably it has a lot more than a pleb can comprehend, which he doesn't even know it's there, but generally it's graspable enough to enjoy it on a basic level. I read it on 16, and I was pretty plebby back then. I tried Adolescent on 18 and it was completely ungrapsable, I literally didn't know what the author is talking about, and dropped it after 20 pages. Then I tried Brothers Karamazov on 21, it was tedious, but I could get through it.
I must say though that I read Dostoevsky tier books only in native language.
What kind of literature had you read prior to trying this book?

As the others have said, you basically just have to grow used to it. It's typically more intellectually engaging than other entertainment media. Though a lot of shit is just trite peddled as revolutionary and deep by academia, for decades and centuries even.

because books require heavy investment.

I've concluded that the investment required to read a book to a point where you can actually conclude whether you like it or not is so big you will rarely if ever stray away from topics you aren't already interested and invested in in.

I can gobble STEM manuals on weeks but drop literature and philosophy on the first page. I love creepypasta but get bored by noir, and find wordplay-centric books stupid because to me prose is always secondary to content.

>if you don't focusing on reading, the story literally stops

Imagine if every time you looked away from a movie screen the projector stops, and you had to wind through and find the right frame, and THEN start playing it again

C&P is inaccessible (anything either "literary" or from a strange culture is inaccessible) but it's not (shouldn't be) boring. If you could work past the inaccessibility then you'd realize that it follows pretty much all of the classic guidelines for good storytelling. It's a well-paced drama with a character-driven plot and strong characterization. Big emotional or plot moments are never more than 20 pages apart.

If you don't care enough about the characters or the situation to get invested in the story, it's probably because you aren't giving it the benefit of the doubt which all potentially inaccessible works deserve.

It depends on the person, really. I'm 21 and just started reading C&P the other week, and I love it, personally I find it really engaging and not boring at all. That may just be because I've grown up as an avid reader from childhood - I was the kind of kid who would read with my torch under the covers after my parents had told me to go to bed. That said, I still don't think C&P is a particularly hard book.

Originally though Dostoevsky wrote literature for the masses, so it's not that inaccessible bar the cultural references that unless you lived in Russia during the 1800s you wouldn't understand. These things are all explained in annotated versions though, so it's not really an issue. I would say the thing a lot of people would probably find intimidating is the length of the book, since it was originally serialised chapter by chapter.

> Crime & Punishment
> boring

Fuck off back to Facebook.

There'll be a point when they realise it isn't cool since the creator is suing everyone at the moment plus his hyper-sjw views

> /pol/tard literally doesn't realise his board is a joke
> he doesn't realise that his board is the scourge of Veeky Forums and most people feel this way because it always seeps onto other boards

lmao

FUCK YOU EOJKROWMRTJJ£$)FOESRT

stay angry :^)

But what if I don't pretend to enjoy 19th century novels?

Hedonistic heathen.

C&P is inaccessible? What? How? It's a decent enough book, I imagine it's one of the first books that delves into a criminals psychology and thus very influential (like Seven Samurai or Citizen Kane), but by todays standards it's like 6-7/10 drama.

Start with easier books, OP.

Seriously re-read high school-core like Of Mice And Men, 1984, shit that's accessible to everyone.

Move onto Crime & Punishment once you've read Dosto's The Double.

I think you need a certain amount of empathy to enjoy this book. It wasn't a hard read, but i really didn't care about some old cunt and her sister or some drunk fuck and his wife dying. Part 6 and the epilogue were enjoyable though, mainly because I see myself a lot in raskolnikow.

>Weebs have bettered themselves
>Japanese cartoons are high tier
You're so wrong it causes me physical pain.

Most anime posters are ironic anime fans from reddit/discord and every frogposter is a meme posting normalfag.