Secular Dostoevsky ?

The ultimate question for me:
What is the NON-RELIGIOUS alternative to Dostoevsky?

my diary desu

Anton Chekhov was raised in Orthodox Church and knew doctrine well, but IIRC he was an atheist or at least agnostic.

Certainly you will find a lot of Dostoevsky's vodka swilling serfs in Chekhov in a more succinct form.

Brett Easton Ellis

Joseph Conrad

Mихaил Apцыбaшeв

Small prose essentially.

A fedora

why would i give a shit about his religion ( i am an atheist myself=?

He was anti-Semitic, wasn't he?

Didn't know he wrote about religion.

Turgenev was both a better writer and not a christcuck.

googling this shit. thanks, anons.

Imagine being so resentful to the point you can't completely enjoy a writer because he doesn't fit in your numale worldview.
This thread seems like a bunch of vegans picking up vegetables and then saying "See? They are as good as meat!" lmao

kafka and hamsun has a similar feel to them

The artificial chauvinism is a bit stale but overall I agree with the sentiment.

Turdgenev. His short shit is good, but Gogol is much better and not limited by the bounds of muh realism. Essentially Turdgenev writes like a mainland European

You know how to find the atheist in the room? He always feels the need to point it out to everyone. Go back to /r/books and /r/atheism fedoralord.

>recommend me authors who won't challenge my worldview

regular fucking dostoevsky, dumbass. he's unrivaled, and his work stands as as much of a critique of religion as anything. i just finished the brothers karamazov and it was a transformative experience, and i'm buddhist so i'm not particularly attached to the idea of a creator god. you're cheating yourself by refusing to challenge your beliefs.

is dead souls a satisfying read despite what i've heard about the mid-sentence ending? i'm hesitant to read into it too much because i don't like spoiling things for myself, even classics.

>Gogol is much better and not limited by the bounds of muh realism.
Ironically irl he was actually more religious than even Dostoevsky. When he published his letters the freethinkers felt betrayed to find him an ultra pious conservative

>is dead souls a satisfying read
If you like works like Don Quixote and Tristram Shandy.

Dostoevksi isn't religious

Literally Nietzche

surprised it took so long for someone to mention him

There he is. There he goes again. Look, everyone! He posted it once again! Isn't he just the funniest guy around?! Oh my God.

I can almost see your pathetic overweight frame glowing in the dark, lit by your computer screen which is the only source of light in your room, giggling like a like girl as you once again type your little diary post up and fill in the captcha. Or maybe you don't even fill in the captcha. Maybe you're such a disgusting NEET that you actually paid for a Veeky Forums pass, I imagine you little shit laughing so hard as you click it that you drop your Doritos on the floor, but it's ok, your mother will clean it up in the morning. Oh, that's right. Did I fail to mention? You live with your mother. You are a fat fucking fuckup, she's probably so sick of you already. So sick of having to do everything for you all goddamn day, every day, for a grown man who spends all his time on Veeky Forums posting about "my diary desu". Just imagine this. She had you, and then she thought you were gonna be a scientist or an astronaut or something grand, and then you became a NEET. A pathetic diaryfag NEET. She probably cries herself to sleep everyday thinking about how bad it is and how she wishes she could just disappear. She can't even try to talk with you because all you say is "MY DIARY DESU." You've become a parody of your own self. And that's all you are. A sad little man laughing in the dark by himself as he prepares to indulge in the same old dance that he's done a million times now. And that's all you'll ever be.

Forever...

Nietzsche isn't secular you flaming retard

>What is the NON-RELIGIOUS alternative to Dostoevsky?

A noose

/thread

Anyone who seen the shit Fyodor did has to have a faith in God or end up dead or insane like Nietzsche

Probably Krasznahorkai.

>Discarding good literature because rebbit taught you that you can't appreciate it if the author was religious.

DAN BROWN

what book should be my first dosoevsky book?? where is good too start with him? ive been interested.

Notes from the Underground, then Crime and Punishment, whatever inbetween, finish with Brothers Karamazov

If anything Dostoevksi was anti-religious, you fucking moron.

>unrivaled
Read more before you post again

because his religion informs his writing and the philosophy underlying his prose, you dipshit redditor.

Hi is moralizing

His latest works were religious indeed.
In Brothers Karamazov, the three brothers symbolize the three periods of Dostoevsky's life: agnosticism, atheism and religion.
Probably you should read his earlier works.

Well Crime and Punishment's resolution is religious but... I don't know man, I did feel the dissonance when I read it, as I'm not Christian, but his prose and his plot is such that I was able to get passed behind it. His entire redemption revolve around Lazarus Resurrection, but if you take the myth as a moralising tale, and not as reality, you could be able to appreciate Rodion journey just as much. I actually have a passage of it tattooed on my arm, it's a simple sentence that stroke me so fiercely that I still remember the first time I read it, I got goosebumps all over my spine. I don't know the proper translation to English, though, it's something along the lines: I kneel not before you, but before the sufferings of mankind.
Only read Crime and Punishment so far, so I don't know about the rest of his opus

His books are permeated by it, dumb cunt. If you're atheist but feel indifference towards christianity it shouldn't be a problem. But if you feel that feely feel that feels feely, that feeling of antipathy and disdain with the churches, you might struggle to get around his epilogues.
I don't judge, though. I feel this general dislike feel towards islamism. Could never read a book where in the end the teachings of the violent desert pedophile save the day. Would dislike it too much to be able to fully appreciate it.

Lots of posturing in this thread

>Took his time to flesh out his own excrement
dubs

lots of faggoting in your comment