Did people really speak in real life at some point like the characters in Pride and Prejudice talk?

Did people really speak in real life at some point like the characters in Pride and Prejudice talk?

It seems so surreal.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Workplace_Man/status/897071497054781440
c-span.org/video/?419544-1/john-mcwhorter-discusses-words-move
idler.co.uk/product/online-course-elocution-with-sir-timothy-ackroyd/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They really did.

they essentially do in the upper classes still, user

OP here. This isn't true at all. The reason I ask is because most of my time is spent with upper class folk and although some do speak in rather "old-fashioned" ways (which I quite appreciate) but nothing as well-articulated as P&P.

>The reason I ask is because most of my time is spent with upper class folk
Have you got past the buggering stage?

what country you from?

First year of uni in London I worked as a waiter in a stodgy old club in London with many octogenarian upper crust members. They certainly spoke in an archaic fashion, which sounded lovely as they purred words with their plummy, confident voices. It's very rare to find people like this though. Even the young royals talk like normies, look at the difference between Charles and Harry, it's crazy.
The decline in this aspect probably coincides with the open society, meaning less erudition and exclusion in the upper classes. Prince Charles is pretty woke (see below tweet), and he is actually a very modern aristocrat, I can't imagine how some of these old guys were like when they actually ran the country. So, yes, people did speak like Pride and Prejudice, they were far apart from normal society in every single way though.
twitter.com/Workplace_Man/status/897071497054781440

>The reason I ask is because most of my time is spent with upper class folk

On a scale of 'gaping to cavernous', how wide is your asshole

Yes, absolutely. My first contact with the profanum vulgus was quite a shock I might add.

Britain m8

in britain it was certainly true in the relatively recent past that people talked very differently based on their social status. this has been getting less so over time.
>Mrs. Thatcher was a grocer's daughter who took lessons to talk like an aristocrat.
>Mr. Blair was born into the British upper classes and took lessons to not talk like an aristocrat.

How do I learn to talk like this?

Learn french or latin

The upper class has talked very differently to the other classes for a long time in the UK. It's not as bad now, but is still pretty noticeable in politics, with elections literally being affected, multiple times, by photos of upper class politicians attempting to eat working class food. Pic related is my favourite

without audio recording the spoken word and how it related the written word is lost.
Spoken language has always differed qualitatively from written but the extent of the gap varies from one society to another
Linguist John Mcwhorter discusses this problem at about an hour and ten minutes in: c-span.org/video/?419544-1/john-mcwhorter-discusses-words-move

take elocution lessons to learn RP (irl isn't necessary, you could do this idler.co.uk/product/online-course-elocution-with-sir-timothy-ackroyd/) and make sure you are using proper grammar and spice up your sentences with some nice unusual words that aren't showy. to really have an effect you will need a deep booming voice though, but even without this you will still sound proper, just not like some medieval king.

>2nd or 3rd generation (i forget) immigrant jew from intellectual university family
>upper class
You know, going to a good school or having money doesn't make you upper class in the slightest? Actually, the oldest money is usually poor and lacks higher education these days. You probably think home cooking nice food is 'posh', too? Maybe you aren't from the UK though, so you are forgiven for these elementary errors.

By "upper class folk" do you mean the lords and ladies of the country who own the large London estates, the people will millions and billions, or do you just mean the upper middle classes? The amount of people I've met who don't know the difference between the two is astounding.

David Miliband actually earned very poor grades in his private school, but still gained entry to Oxford because muh family.

I mean the former, not just Waitrose shoppers.

No. These accents and diction did not exist until the turn of the 20th century.

Wait, what exactly is he doing wrong, here? Isn't that how you eat a sandwich? What do you do, user, if not hold the sandwich with two hands?

To some extent on some occasions

The extravagant talk is greatly exagerated in its infallability and delivery of something meaningful

I wouldn't call aristocrats and elites "people", but yes, they did talk like that. Being able to speak for ten minutes and say nothing is essential to maintaining the illusion that your existence is not a net negative to the whole world.

BTFO
elites on suicide watch

I was wondering this the other day as well. I believe it so. Just consider the educations they would have had: multiple languages, classical Greek thought, various arts. It simply laid the grounds to produce a higher level of person. Now compare it with what most have today, and it's no surprise people's vocabulary is abysmal. Shakespeare is rumored to have a vocabulary of around 35,000 words, and I believe the average person today around 10,000 - and it's only declining with a text-based culture.

>itt: poorfags

Did any of you even go to a proper school?
And, no, your highly rated comprehensive was not a proper school.

The thing is the fact that he's eating a sandwich or 'hand food' at all. It's 'plebeian'.

Think Donald Trump eating the taco salad, except they're doing it unironically

my god the look on his face it's like his wife caught him fucking the dog

>Shakespeare is rumored to have a vocabulary of around 35,000 words, and I believe the average person today around 10,000

quality over quantity

Yes, definitely. It's too bad the doctrine of equality won out (for now at least), as we could be living in a pretty amazing civilization if not.

>implying Shakespeare is real
>Implying Shakespear is one person

WEW

im so sick of libfags appending 'folk' to every group descriptor. Especially when it's applied to the upper-class, or to whites in general; folk has its own specific meaning which is not applicable to either of these aggregates.

English shouldn't use any Germanic loanwords honestly, including "folks". It should become a primarily Greco-Romance language

nice autism

I do not value the opinions of neurotypicals