I'm a brainlet from Veeky Forums and I want to get into literature...

I'm a brainlet from Veeky Forums and I want to get into literature. It is difficult for me to pay attention to a book long enough to finish it. Is there any way I can work on my reading stamina?

please help me I will give fitness advice if you want

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
amazon.com/Art-Short-Story-Dana-Gioia/dp/0321363639
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How the fuck do I get better at pull-ups if I can't even do one pull up?

Also, you gotta start small, senpai. Just go to the bookstore and pick up something that's thin and looks interesting. I don't care if it's some genre-crap spy-fiction, as long as it looks cool and it gets you reading, it's the first step. Then you just keep going from there.

>forcing yourself to read books you aren't enjoying

Why?

Not OP, but you use one of those pull up elastic bands to assist you until you don't need it anymore.

No pain, no gain.

there is a pullup machine at the gym where you put your knees on a support and it offsets your weight so you're doing an easier pullup

im no fitness expert but it seems useful even if you can only do a few pullups, you can do dropsets using this thing

youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Do negatives.

Start with Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
It's shitty YA crap but it's better than nothing and easy as fuck

What do you hope to gain by reading fiction?

I just graduated from college with a low tier STEM degree. I am looking for jobs and in the mean time, I don't want to brain to rot from watching tv and lurking Veeky Forums. I know I will not enjoy reading at first, but I'm sure I will learn to enjoy it.

>page count: 856
I'm too stupid for this

Fiction seems like a fun and easy way to get into reading. I do not have the reading comprehension skills to go straight into dense philosophical readings.

Listen to audiobooks and pretend you read the books the old fashioned way.

Anytime anyone tells you to read Kant, Hegel, Sartre, Deleuze and Guattari, Derrida, Irigaray or Lacan just know you're being memed. They're insanely complicated thinkers.

>Start with Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
>I'm too stupid for this
Yea that's the point friendo. I'd suggest reading Hamilton's Mythology. Relatively simple read while still being the backbone for human storytelling.

Get started with short stories. They will let you know if you like reading, but don't feel like a commitment to start. You can even start picking up on different styles and authors you like. I'd advise a collection to get a good variety. Something like this: amazon.com/Art-Short-Story-Dana-Gioia/dp/0321363639
A little caution though, because short stories can be a lot denser than a typical novel. Reflecting and rereading then can help.

This meme may be useful for you senpai

First of all, how do I lose weight and keep it off. I always seem to yoyo back, and losing the weight in the first place takes an eternity.

Start off by just reading something fun that you know will keep you engaged. Then you'll be drawn to higher level stuff naturally. Eventually though, you need to make a push to focus more on nonfiction rather than fiction.

You already said you read a lot of Veeky Forums. Maybe health and fitness books are a good way for you to get a start in science literature?

>Bible
>KJV
>Not Douay-Reims

triggered

This.

fpbp

this, treat it like a beginner at the gym. not to sound condescending but start with young adult books if you have to, and if one looks interesting. Even "graphic novels" can be an introduction to real books, if you have to start with the 3-lb dumbell of literature. Just move from capeshit to wordier comics, then move to illustrated books (not like for fucking toddlers but there are illustrated novels out there) and so on.

kek, this book literally killed my interest in philosophy single-handed

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

audiobooks while you lift! works great for me

also, do as this guy, esp:

>Read various books at the same time. Keep them thematically different.

>It isn't a race.

>Buy physical copies.

The Stranger.
Tom Sawyer then Huckeberry Finn (sequel of first).
Longer: The Master and Margarita

I was going to the gym for almost an year and got significantly more fit. But then I tried a new exercise (without any supervision) and something which looked like swollen capillaries appeared near my biceps. And it hurt a little. Stopped going to the gym, went to a doctor after some time, and they told me it's "stretch marks", and yeah it looked like it after some time passed (and after an year the stretch marks are still visible). The strange thing is that I've heard stretch marks shouldn't hurt at all. And doctors here are high on weed everyday and don't even want to examine you.
I don't know if it's safe to continue going to the gym and do other arm exercises.

So you want to get into art, in general, not just books. Literature is the line where books becomes art and the hobby of reading becomes meaningful.

So read the classics. Start anywhere. If something is hard to understand or frustrating, have the humility to give the author the benefit of the doubt. You're going to go beyond your current understanding of art. Now you like movies and books because the characters are likeable and the plot is unpredictable (or because it was funny, or because the action was cool, etc). But there are other levels to art and you want to get into them. These levels are the aesthetic and the intellectual. The first you pick up through experience, and the second you pick up through hard work. You pick it up by asking questions about things you don't understand. You pick it up by recognizing patterns. You write about your questions and the patterns you see and try to figure out the meaning of the patterns. Sometimes you fail and sometimes you succeed, but through the process you teach yourself how to engage with a work on this level.

You don't need stamina, you need to know why you're bothering and how you should go about it. The why is because you expect to gain meaning in your life. Art will do this for you like it has done for millions of other individuals. The how is this process of asking questions of a work. Always ask questions and write about them until you have something approaching an answer (even if that answer is another question). Follow this process and you will engage with a work and it will be easy to finish it. Or it will still be hard, but you'll do it because you now know why you're doing it.

How do I get a 12 inch dick?

Trying to go with meme books or starting with the Greeks won't help you. Read stuff that catches and keeps your attention. Be it YA or genre fiction or whatever. Never mind the elitist bullshit. You are reading for your own pleasure. Not in order to be cool on an Indonesian cartoon board.

>Sartre

Just do other back and biceps exercises until you've got the strength to do a single pull- or chin-up. Use the lat pulldown machine especially. It'll come eventually.

Find something shortish and that really grabs you, to start with. Don't try to jump right into reading long stuff if you can't concentrate on it.
Brain as a muscle, right?
It helps to go to a 'gym', in this case a library or cafe or whatever without your phone or distracting other devices and just sit and read.

Read 10 minutes. Listen to a song. Read 10 minutes. Listen to a song. Repeat.

how this meme is still alive

I'm not going to give you Veeky Forums advice necessarily, but see if this resonates 2ith you.

Remember being a child on a road trip, stewing in your impatience thinking, "Are we there yet?" "Are we there YET?" "ARE WE THERE YET!?" And I don't know about you but eventually I reached a point in time where I resigned myself to the fact that, we'll get there when we get there. Begging doesn't make the time pass faster, the time is already set. Nagging about it just makes it worse, it makes it longer.

Personally I just resign myself to things. I resign myself to reading for at least two hours a day. I don't count the time, I don't interrupt myself because that will makeit take longer, I just sit down and read. And turn the pages. And read some more, and turn some more pages. I think, "well I've already finished 15 pages, that wasn't so bad. Why not 30?" Then at thirty I think, "Well that wasn't so bad either. Maybe another ten more". Then I finish ten more. "Well I already read 40 pages, I might as well at least read 50 pages. A nice even half of 100" and so I do that. It's all in one block but entertained as increments, with a resignation to not care about how much time I've spent doing so.

That's how I trained myselc at least. If you don't have huge blocks of time the don't fret to just pick it up for only 15 minutes at a time even. Pick it up for 15 minutes four separate times when you're busy, then commit to a full hour in your free time at the end of the day: and that would be my two hour personal goal.

It's not so bad as long as the material interests you. I quit reading before because I didn't know know what I liked as I do now, so that can be very impactful in your success to start reading.

Read short stories by easy to understand writers such as Maupassant or Poe

Also how effective are dips for increasing my strength? Will it at all help me with lifting weights?

>work my my reading stamina
Start with simple and engaging books. Try some plebby fantasy or sci-fi. There's no shame in it. If you start with the dense classics you'll just get frustrated and give up.

>Fitness advice
You probably won't be able to answer this, but how do I avoid becoming a fatass when I've got a chronic illness for which the doctors strictly forbid me from doing any exercise other than walking on a flat surface?

adderall. water, get smokes or a vape to keep hands busy. turn off your phone

>Sartre
>complicated thinker

Read The Stranger by Albert Camus. ~100 page count

Have a car? Start listening to audio books whenever you go somewhere. You'll be surprised how quickly you can get through books, and it will keep you very engaged.

I love how there's always this one retard who posts a text wall replying to some shitty thread. If OP had it in him he wouldn't be asking for advice. Whatever book he'll pick up (if he does) he'll drop in two days.

Oh turns out there are two

Whats the point if not trying to help?
Are you a newfag or just jaded?

Kegel Exercises

Why is he not a complicated thinker?