Leave Murakami to me

>South Korean writer Han Kang has been chosen to win this year's Malaparte Prize, Italy's most-authoritative literary award, for her latest work, the prize's organizer said.

koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170915000191

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JETS-71QowY
newyorker.com/books/page-turner/can-a-big-government-push-bring-the-nobel-prize-in-literature-to-south-korea
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the korean state probably unironically paid for this

>korean literature

and now you have to explain what it would mean to "pay ironically"

I thoroughly enjoyed Human Acts. Han Kang's a much better novelist than Murakami.

unironically doesn't necessarily mean the opposite of ironically, it's just a meme word used to put emphasis on something.

I can't emphasize enough how incredibly butthurt Koreans are at how little effort the Japanese put into making their culture (literary and otherwise) popular globally.

When are k*reans not butthurt about japan though? Japan at least has their own unique thing going on, everything in K*rean culture from the fashion to pop culture is incredibly hyperreal and performative and stolen from somewhere else. There's no original vision. All they have is one old poet (Ko Un) and a decent art-house film director (Hong Sang-Soo) but that's it.

Kim ki duk as well

but yes Koreans are in a state of eternal butthurt and inferiority complex to the rest of Asia

I know him, I've seen a decent amount of gook film but Hong Sang-Soo is really the only contemporary k*rean filmmaker doing anything interesting.

what's some gook kino?

oldboy sucked

I really liked The Vegetarian, didn't know there's another book out from her, time to read that then! Thanks OP

The Handmaiden

The Vegetarian sucked.

OMG she's like super quiet

OMG she freaked out in the hospital

OMG I'm creating this weird art piece

Fuck you.

(Not the guy you responded to) The weird art piece section was inspired. It's the only good section of the book and it's still stuck in my head

you can do
>OMG lame sounding event
summaries for any book. please get valid criticisms. The Vegetarian is very good

while i agree that south korean pop culture lacks of originality and vision, unlike the japanese one, your assessment about south korean cinema couldn't be more wrong. south korea is the new powerhouse for classy cinema, give a look at kim ki duk, park chan-wook etc., hollywood should bend the knee to them for good

What? No, K*rean cinema is atrocious. Park-chan wook, and Kim ki-duk are bad. Contemporary Japanese and Chinese cinema is way more interesting.
On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate by Hong Sang-Soo

Kim Ki-Duk's work is split between his 'artsy' efforts (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring as well as Time and 3-Iron) and gory, sometimes sexually violent ones. Hong Sang-Soo makes what feels like two or three movies a year all with the same plot: a filmmaker comes to town, drinks too much and tries to get laid. Hong Sang-Soo's Woman on the Beach is excellent. Park Chan-Wook's Snowpiercer is Marx-Lite, and I'm fine with that.

Oh, and I forgot Jang Sun-Woo is still alive so I guess he counts, but he hasn't made anything in a while. There's a few interesting very small indie films coming out of K*rea as well but still Japan mogs them in every way cinema and art wise.

To pay ironically is when you give a bribe but act like it's just a joke in order to get a feel for whether they'll accept it or not

No it didn't.

is that tao lin?

Han Kang is that like a black guy culturally appropriating Chinese dynasties?

It was a good book. The shift in tense didn't really work but I enjoyed the mental illness of the whole work.

I went in expecting her to actually become a tree in some twisted magic realism, Tetsuo-kinda way.

Been meaning to pick this up

this, desu

Memories of murder
Literally anything from Boong Jon Ho

sadly never win because of dumb jjokbari and their pig language

corean language is too sophisticated for non-corean sub mind

youtube.com/watch?v=JETS-71QowY

newyorker.com/books/page-turner/can-a-big-government-push-bring-the-nobel-prize-in-literature-to-south-korea

good article on it. Worst Korea's tiny cultural clique are outraged that they are alone in the developed world in not producing culture.

That said, Han Kang wrote a compelling fucked up little book, so good for her.

The Admiral was fucking great

She was profoundly mentally ill, except in a culture that could not deal with the nature of her illness, which was in part brought upon by an existential crisis.

I dont think its an all time classic, but it certainly didnt suck.

>Why are you laughing? OK, you acknowledge my opinion don't you?
Very high quality autism.

>Memories of murder
good shit

na hong-jin is good stuff too, esp. the wailing.

While I agree that a lot of idiots praise Murakami for every word he writes, I think he deserves his greatness. Is human acts good? I didn't enjoy the Vegetarian that much but I still want more

I think he means that he's saying it unironically.

choo choo

I Saw The Devil